walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Satellite Navigation Vs Map & Compass

Satellite Navigation Vs Compass

Satellite Navigation
11%
Compass (with map)
25%
Both
64%

Total votes : 137

Satellite Navigation Vs Map & Compass

Postby munrowalker » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:14 pm

We've talked about this dozens of times over the last year.

Map & Compass or Satellite Navigation?

Lets vote!
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Satellite Navigation Vs Map & Compass

Postby Clamberer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:45 pm

This poll should come with a warning: Beware Of The Rant!!! Not from me, I'd like to point out, but its bound to set somebody off... :lol:

I use my map & compass first and foremost, however I do also carry a GPS. Whenever I've used it on the hill I've found that I am near enough where I expect to be, which has given me more confidence in my navigation abilities...In fact I've probably used it more often to locate the car park at the start of a walk! I probably only use about 1% of its capabilities but I know its there for backup if I need it.
Clamberer
Rambler

Munros:228   Corbetts:17
Fionas:5   

Postby Milesy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:50 pm

Just map and compass. I am confident in my navigation :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby ptc* » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:04 am

I long for the day when Harvey will have the whole of Scotland on the British Mountain map format!
Map and compass for me, but I know one day I'll go GPS, it's getting closer to what I want in format and function.
ptc*

Postby allansmitchell » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:41 am

GPS with in built map (and compass), used 99.9% of time, but I do carry a compass and map as back up most of the time (dont bother for low walks on paths)
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby sloosh » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:10 am

Rely on Satmap 99% of the time but usually have a backup map in the rucksack just in case. Always carry a compass.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:41 am

ptc*** wrote:I long for the day when Harvey will have the whole of Scotland on the British Mountain map format!

I'll second that.

I very much still considering myself as learning navigation and I use a combination of both map/compass and GPS. I lean towards using one or the other as the main method depending where I am/what I'm doing. It's nice to use a map to locate where you think you are, then refer to GPS for the correct answer. I use ViewRanger GPS with OS maps on my mobile phone - brilliant. Can't really see why folk pay hundreds for a dedicated unit that displays maps.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby kerrera » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:41 am

ptc*** wrote:I long for the day when Harvey will have the whole of Scotland on the British Mountain map format!
Map and compass for me, but I know one day I'll go GPS, it's getting closer to what I want in format and function.

Ditto that.
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby gaffr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Could satellite navigation be a boon for the 'aged hillwalker'?
The eyes become less sharp as the years pass by. The prior, to the journey, plotting of a route on the 'GPS' could save valuable time in poor weather when fumbling around with map and compass in windy conditions? I guess care should be taken when downloading waypoints from a 'screen map' with the difficulty in getting the 'pointer thing' exactly on the spot....but maybe the nearness of a waypoint from this source could be useful, especially in wide open plateau situations where, in winter, any recognisable feature will be buried deep under the white stuff.
Maybe the aged hillwalkers should not go out in inclement weather conditions.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby sloosh » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:48 pm

gaffr wrote:Maybe the aged hillwalkers should not go out in inclement weather conditions.

Define, 'aged' :( :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Gorf01 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi All

I am an old hand with Map and compass and a new hand with a GPS. My primary tools on the hill are the map and compass, but I find the GPS useful as a cross reference tool.

My current tramping ground is Dartmoor where navigation can be "challenging" as it can been seen as a series of long round ridges and when the visability gets down to 5 meters you need all the help you can get :shock:

I find the greatest use of a GPS is the data it gathers. I can clip it onto the rucksac and it logs the walk (or in the case of last Sunday logs the walk for 8 hours then the batteries give up due to the cold :think:) When I get home I can take a good look at the walk on the map. I've just started using QUO and still getting to grips with the user interface.

All in all the GPS has its place, but you need the basic navigation skills to use it.
Gorf01
Stravaiging

Munros:2   Corbetts:5
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:27

Postby agentmancuso » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:58 pm

allansmitchell wrote:GPS with in built map (and compass), used 99.9% of time, but I do carry a compass and map as back up most of the time (dont bother for low walks on paths)

What he said.
agentmancuso
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:33
Fionas:50   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:153   Hewitts:42
Wainwrights:20   Islands:5

Postby Glenrothes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Gorf01 wrote:I am an old hand with Map and compass and a new hand with a GPS. My primary tools on the hill are the map and compass, but I find the GPS useful as a cross reference tool.

I find the greatest use of a GPS is the data it gathers. When I get home I can take a good look at the walk on the map.

All in all the GPS has its place, but you need the basic navigation skills to use it.

I totally agree with this. Only started using a GPS about 18 months ago but love the data it collects and its ability to place you in a given position when visibility and/or the geographical topography is lacking in features. As long as it is used in conjucntion with a map and compass, I love it!!! :thumbup:
Glenrothes

Postby Bluelungbutter » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:03 pm

I use a cheap garmin. I plot out the intended route on memory map and upload it to the GPS so it's there if i need it, but really it gets left in my bag till i get back to the car. I get home and then upload the track onto the computer and i get all the data i need from my walk. Not that i really need it but it's nice to know. :D

DunK
Bluelungbutter
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Postby magicdin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:15 pm

map and compass with gps (garmin Etrex) back up
like Glenrothes and Gorf01 I find gps is useful to check/confirm where you are in thick mist on featureless ground
eg moine bhealach and plateau of corbett maol creag an loch
without gps I would still have been OK using traditional methods but handy to just press a couple of buttons
I do think however that gps tends to make us a bit lazy with regards to navigation :think:

I don't upload/download routes with gps
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk