walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Cameras

Cameras

Postby clivegrif » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Hello all you ace photographers out there!

I'm thinking of upgrading from my Olympus e620 to a Nikon D5200 with a 18-200mm Nikon lens.

Anyone with any experience of this camera? Can't afford a Canon 5 series.....

Cheers
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Re: Cameras

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:03 pm

I've that lens, with a D7000. Excellent combo, if you don't mind the weight to much ( I take it on all hill walks).
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Dan Scheer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:53 pm

Can't give you any advice on the camera, I have an old D90, but I have the 18-200mm lense and think it is an excellent lense. It is a very good allround lense and IMHO ideal for taking out to the hills when you don't want to carry several lenses. As Paul said though, it is not light!
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Islands:25

Postby Michael Thomson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:48 pm

The D5200 is a very decent camera in my experience, image quality in RAW is very good. The articulated screen is pretty handy if you're shooting macro or weird angles. The only downsides for me are that the body is plastic and isn't weather sealed, so you need to be a wee bit careful if the conditions aren't ideal. Get yourself some rainsleeves and some common sense and it's not a big problem. If you want to shoot sports or fast cars, then the frame-rate's not great. Other than that, a very decent choice.

The 18-200 is a great walkabout lens. It's not light , but it's a good all rounder and helps avoid changing lenses while on a windy hillside, which is always good if you don't like sensor cleaning.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby clivegrif » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Cheers guys - most helpful.

The e620 is a nice little dslr that is amongst the lightest - but that advantage is rather offset by carrying a 14-42 and a 40-150 lens about, and no I don't like changing lens in the rain!! I do want something with a bit better picture quality though.

I like the articulated screen - the Olympus has one and its very handy. Not that bothered about frame-rate or video.

So everyone seems agreed about the lens - I'll give the 7000 / 7100 another look.

Thanks again
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:03 pm

What do you want to use the camera for - is it purely for walking and climbing use.

Have you considered a micro system, for example micro 4/3rds (m43). Same physical size sensor as your e620 but the pentaprism and mirror box have been removed.

I've got a m43 Panasonic G1 that I bought a few years ago. It's got a built in electronic viewfinder (EVF) in place of the optical viewfinder. It's not as good as a good optical viewfinder but much better than starting at the rear display screen (which does flip out and rotate for creative shots or selfies)

In the last year I added a Panasonic 12-35f2.8 lens, which all I carry when out walking.

The sensor of the first generation m43's like the G1isn't the greatest but the latest crop are top notch, and I'm hoping to upgrade to a GH3 body.

Used to carry a 5D and a few lenses - weight a ton. Dodgy knees made me rethink.

My G1 + 12-35, battery, card and skylight filter comes 815g on my kitchen scales.

Here's how my G1 and 12-35 (24-70 equivalent) looks next to my 5D and 24-70

Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Hantswalker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:35 pm

The good things about the D5200 are:
Sensor - sharp high resolution images
Size and weight
Great range of lenses available
Articulated screen
Easy to use the basic functions

Compromise issues relate to how far you want to take your photography:
Beginners camera in terms of controls or rather the lack of them
Too many functions have to be accessed through the screen menu (fiddly) which in turn leads to battery drain
Only one command dial
No top viewing panel for basic functions such as checking ISO, shutter speed, aperture etc.
Will not autofocus on lenses which don't have their own motor (e.g. some great third party wide angle lenses such as the some of the sharp f2.8 Tokinas.

You may also wish to consider if the D5200 has been undermined by the D5300 with its sensor taken from the D7100 and built in wi-fi.

As for lenses where do I begin. Don't ignore the new Nikon 18-140 (DXO Labs rate this as the sharpest DX zoom to date) or the Nikon 16-85 which gives a little more at the (landscape photography) critical wide end.

Even though I shoot Nikon I would also say don't ignore the brilliant range of cameras from Canon including the enthusiasts 70D.
Hantswalker
Hill Bagger

Munros:267   Corbetts:12
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby clivegrif » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Evening Gareth & Hantswalker, thanks for your views too, both provide yet more excellent food for thought and its a good job I not in a rush to buy.

I can see the attraction of the new Mirrorless cameras, I see the latest Sony even has a full frame sensor (but not many compatible lens yet). As Gareth says, they are light and small, but do take decent lens. If you are finding that 5D too heavy these days, I'll give you a couple of bob for it! :lol:

Hants - thats a great summary of the good and bad. I was also taken by the 18-140 lens, I understand that it is now becoming the kit lens of choice for the 5300 and 7100. The 18-200 seemed to give more options, but is quite a bit more. The 16-85 also looks a really good option.
The Canon 70d looks very good also, and the reviews put it on a par with the 7100. Might have to work hard on the accountant to be able to afford it though....

Thanks again.
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby Gareth Harper » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:37 pm

I hadn't even heard of that new Sony camera.
Very interesting move from Sony. I find it odd that they have almost exactly recreated the 135 film format, I've never thought it to be the most natural of formats. Bigger sensors are better but why keep weird proportions?

Be aware that zoom lenses are, as I'm sure you know, a compromise, the more zoom you have, inevitably there is more compromise in respect to the optical performance.

Not selling my 5D1 or 5D2 I'm afraid, not that I think you'd want my 5D1, it's a bit duffed up, still works though and still gets used now again.

The G1 I carry purely for walking and occasionally when out and about on my motorcycle in the summer, for other stuff I like to have a big optical finder, quick very controllable auto-focus and the ability to do everything very quickly (micro cameras can be a bit fiddly)

But the results I get from the G1 are pretty good. And I'm hoping that the results from a GH3 (when I eventually get my hands on one) combined with that little 12-35 should compare very favourably with me big Canons.

I've decided just to stick to using the one lens on my G1. I'm often wondering if I'm out for a walk or am I out to take photos. Another lens will slow me down further.
Gareth Harper

Postby keithmctaggart » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Save up yer pennies and buy the Canon 5d Mk 3......I got one 3 months ago....it's impressive.
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:36 pm

A better camera won't make me a better photographer.
A better camera won't make anybody a better photographer.
Gareth Harper

Postby keithmctaggart » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:49 pm

That applies to any piece of kit, obviously.
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby tenohfive » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:A better camera won't make me a better photographer.
A better camera won't make anybody a better photographer.

A statement like that is maybe a tad unnecessary amongst a group of amateur togs. It's true and fine for the 'that's a really nice photo, you must have a really good camera,' crowd but I'd hazard most people contributing to this thread know their f- stops from their hyperfocal distance. There's nothing wrong with fancying bigger and better kit that create opportunities (or make existing opportunities easier to exploit.)

And I certainly wouldn't sniff at a 5D3 if anyone is feeling generous :)
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby clivegrif » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Evening all - thanks for your continued contributions on here.

Yes I'd love a 5d Mk3 too - but I fear that may take Premium Bond ERNIE being very kind. Cheapest I've seen that one is £1833 without a lens....

Its probably true that a better camera won't make anyone a better photographer - but the pictures are still likely to look better! One of the main reasons I want to upgrade is that my Olympus produces lovely pictures in good light - but anything in low light is too 'noisy' and lacks definition.

Cheers!
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:32 pm

Indeed Clivegrif, hoping I'm able to upgrade my G1 to a GH3 soon.
The G1 is clearly picking up quite a bit of noise by 400asa, so yeah as the light fades the shots can start to suffer.

If either my 5D1 or 5D2 gave up on me I'd buy the 6D. 135 format but a grand cheaper than the rather expensive 5D3, and it's lighter.
Gareth Harper

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk