walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Walking Boots Raichle and Asolo

Walking Boots Raichle and Asolo

Postby PaulD » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Wondered what people thought of this, if its normal.

My boots are Raichle (with leather uppers) had them for 7 or 8 years, they've done well and are extremely comfortable, the leather upper is gortex lined and in very good condition, the sole however isnt quite so good. The bottom of the sole is fine, very hard wearing and lost little tread given the age. This is far better than my wifes Asolo boots (cant remember which ones) which arent as old and have heavily worn tread (if they were car tyres they'd be illegal !), the soles of hers must be very soft. The problem with the sole on my Raichle boots is the middle layers which is now cracked on both sides and on both boots, its starting to disintegrate, I assume this middle layer is the shock absorbing layer. Although they probably havent had vast amounts of miles on them, they do get a fair pounding on rocks and boulders.

Is this problem common with modern soles ?
PaulD
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:54
Wainwrights:98   

Re: Walking Boots Raichle and Asolo

Postby keithmctaggart » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:09 pm

I have Asolo Flame GTX, I love them....good fit and traction over rocks etc and waterproof. No excess wear on the soles, I've had mine around 10 months.
keithmctaggart
Mountain Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby wink » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Hi Paul, I had the same problem with Raichle boots, the so.e fell apart after 30 months, as the uppers are fine and still comfy I decided to have new soles put on, 4 years later still going strong
Send em to Lancashire sports repairs Burnley, fantastic service

Regards Wink
wink
Munro compleatist

Postby PaulD » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks for that, thats worth knowing about

wink wrote:Hi Paul, I had the same problem with Raichle boots, the so.e fell apart after 30 months, as the uppers are fine and still comfy I decided to have new soles put on, 4 years later still going strong
Send em to Lancashire sports repairs Burnley, fantastic service

Regards Wink
PaulD
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:54
Wainwrights:98   

Postby ngailik » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Note that there are quite a number of poor reports on Asolo boots and the longevity - particularly soles. Many from America so don't know if the manufacturing is same.
However, have been disappointed with Asolo boots purchased about 3 years ago. At approaching 70 I can't say that I have been that demanding in use and the ones purchased were the Revert - so not the most expensive in range.
Initially extremely comfortable with a reasonable firm sole and lasting. But started to wear greatly at toe area in one boot about a year ago, letting in water. For a while fixed with a reasonable shoe glue, and touched up form time to time, but the sole wear quickly and the toe are has worn through. Shocked just how thin the sole membrane is below the tread area; obviously not made to last. Could get them resoled but the cost of this relative to expected wear and the boots is not worth it, I reckon. The heal tread area and pattern does not provide as good a grip on wet grass as traditional Vibram soles.
So, in end, disappointed. I do still have a former pair of Asolo Mountain Boots (bought about 45 years ago) - really solid full grain, double stitched leather. Soles is and boots in good condition, considering - downside is that the weight.
But, as far as new Asolo boots now? I prefer to go for another brand.
ngailik

Munros:222   Corbetts:18
Fionas:12   

Postby matt_outandabout » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:04 pm

The problem with the sole on my Raichle boots is the middle layers which is now cracked on both sides and on both boots, its starting to disintegrate, I assume this middle layer is the shock absorbing layer.

This is exactly how my Raichle boots died (nearly 9 years of hard use, one re-sole) - a new sole unit was more than the boots and the old leather deserved, so I binned and bough something else.

I have now taken the route of 'lighter and cheaper' so I am less fussed about quite how durable the boots are going to be. Having put many a Munro under approach shoes now, the grip and support of modern shoes is not in question. For me it is durability - and it is less than an older skool leather clumper boot.

I now look like the honey monster in orange Salomon A-Alp Mtn.... :shock:
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk