walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Tent Advice

Re: Tent Advice

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Anaon wrote:
Michael Thomson wrote:The Zephyros is a great tent for the money.

Sorry to update an old thread... Very curious about the Zephyros, is it really sturdy enough for Scottish storms during a week? I guess adding pegs and guys could help...

Thank you...

I have the laser competition, which is almost identical, just a bit lighter, and I would say 50 mph winds are its limit.. It is not really meant for winter storms.. Can take a good dumping of snow though :)
The secret is to learn how to work the pole cover sufficiently :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Anaon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Thank you :)

I see... 50 mph is not bad at all... I currently own a Vaude Taurus Ultralight and would like something lighter...
Anaon
Mountain Walker

Munros:19   
Hewitts:2

Postby Roland Tattiescone » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:44 pm

Is the Zephyros 2 actually practical for 2 people? From looking at a layout of it online, it looks like it could be quite a squeeze, and that's without even taking into account 2 rucksacks packed to the gunnels.
Roland Tattiescone
Mountain Walker

Munros:165   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Tents tend to be measured by the number of standard-sized sleeping mats that can be fit in, so 2-man tends to be two adults, snugly side by side, with kit in a vestibule.

So either get a model with a large vestibule, or get a 3-person tent.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby quaker268 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:36 pm

I've been using a Vango Zenith 100 for the past year and I love it. Used it up in the Peak District in howling winds and snow and it handled itself really well.

Enough room for me and my kit and so much lighter than my Tempest 200 which hasn't been out for a while. I will be Wild Camping up in the Cairngorms next month and I'm confident the Zenith 100 will do well.
quaker268
Bird-watcher

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:03 pm

Looking at Vango kit, they have some Gear Store options, the Trek Gear Store (for front entry tents) and the Banshee Gear store (side entry tents, like the Banshee but also the Zenith).

The Trek weighs quite a lot, the Banshee a bit less. But either way they seem a good way of getting a lot of kit space so if you're multi-people in a tent it gives you options for large amounts of kit, some cooking space, etc.

Worth a look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89GyKGlsYHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8QCaxb5YZ0
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby basscadet » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:06 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Tents tend to be measured by the number of standard-sized sleeping mats that can be fit in, so 2-man tends to be two adults, snugly side by side, with kit in a vestibule.

So either get a model with a large vestibule, or get a 3-person tent.

But getting a 3 person tent not only weighs a ton, but doesn't really help with storing stuff if it is actually wet - you want to keep all the drippy stuff well clear of any sewn in groundsheets or you will end up huddled on an island (your sleeping mat) in a sea of water - I know I've been there in more inexperienced times :lol:
Best to just get a tent that suits your needs. I know they can seem expensive, but a proper tent is well worth it and in 10 years when you still have it and work out the 'price per night' you will find the tent has actually been very very cheap.
still don't think the price of Hillebergs are justified though :shock: :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:23 pm

I have and use a rucksack cover, so my kit / bag doesn't tend to be too wet inside the tent. Water can get into the tent at the best of times, but microfibre towel (you should have one anyway) soaks-up and wrings-out. Everyone has their own preference, mine is for kit inside the tent but it's good to point out not everyone will agree.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk