walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Montane Prism Jacket

Montane Prism Jacket

Postby Andy74G » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:18 pm

Hello ,

Can some recommend a mid layer piece of clothing.
I normally wear a base layer and a berghaus half zip micro fleece for all my walking and now have a Keela Munro jacket for the bad weather. I've been looking at the Montane Prism Jacket , but I am unsure wither to purchase this item as it may be too warm to use in the summer, I've already got a windproof fleece but feel its a bit heavy to carry around all day, and its never on for long before it gets too warm to wear anyway, do I even need another layer? Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Andy
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Re: Montane Prism Jacket

Postby bydand_loon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Id think pretty much most folk are similar to your get up, base, mid, outer. My only difference to you is that I wear a patagonia softshell rather than a fleece, thats just a personal preference thing. There was a time I often wore a montane windshirt under the outer layer instead of the softshell

Summer or winter I usually carry a down jacket (big marmot one in winter, patagonia sweater in summer) in my bag, cant say I tab in them very often but they're a huge bonus when your stopped or partaking in camp routine. If just a day walk then its a case of judging what to wear, carry or dump in the car/tent

The prisim is a nice jacket and does the same job as the down sweater imo, I had one for a week, sent it back as it was a bit nippit (small fitting) and just never got around to getting the size up
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby jepsonscotland » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:29 am

Montane prism is a great jacket. Arguably one of the best pieces of kit available for the hills.
BUT, for your intended use it may be a bit too warm, especially in spring and summer.
I have used mine in some really horrible conditions and it always performs. Even though the insulation is light, it works very very well, even when wet.
Maybe a hybrid style jacket would suit? The good news is there are plenty of sales on at the moment. ...........
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby JanD » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:01 am

I have a fairly thin and lightweight Mountain Hardwear primaloft jacket that is as warm as a good fleece but also showerproof and wind proof. Being primaloft it packs to the size of a small honeydew melon and is very very light. The heaviest bit of it is probably the zip!

It goes every wear, all year. If there's a wind chill but it's dry, then it gets used as the outer layer. If it wet and cold then it's the mid layer. I've used it under a paramo in winter as the main insulator, and over a vest top in summer on top of MacDui

Bought it the sales 9 years ago, it's well used, but I have yet to find anything better. I find down jackets too warm to walk in
JanD
Mountaineer

Postby [neil] » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm in a very similar position and have been going round and round the many different options in the last few days! I always run hot when walking and was originally looking for a small, light & warm layer for camping during multi-day trips and for supplementing my sleeping bag in winter if required rather than as an extra mid-layer, so I picked up the Mountain Equipment Arete in the Tiso sale. Then I started thinking I'd be better getting a synthetic alternative that I could use for the same purpose but also have the option to use as an outer layer in less extreme conditions or even to thrown on over my shell for longer stops to avoid having to take off the shell to add a fleece (had to do that in really bad conditions before and hate it...). So now I also have a Montane Prism sitting next to my Arete, both with the tags still on so I can return one or both :)

Now I'm thinking that maybe the Prism isn't warm enough to justify buying it for the reasons I started off with and that maybe I should be looking at a 60/80/100g PrimaLoft layer instead (Rab Generator, Mountain Equipment Bastion / Fitzroy, Rab Xenon X...), which would be winter-specific so I'd have to get something like a Rab Vapour-Rise Lite for other seasons, and also bumps up the packing size and takes me full circle back to a small & light down jacket for camping and long stops only! But is the Arete warm enough for this or should I be looking for something with more fill, or maybe the hydrophobic Rab Microlight instead..? Argh - too many options!!
[neil]
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:7   

Postby davelancs » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:56 am

I too find a base layer and microfleece enough to wear for most mountain walking, and that can include quite a lot of winter walking. When the wind gets up a windproof layer over this is usually enough. That windproof layer is a basic pertex windshirt weighing about 100gms and costing less than £50.

When things get really gnarly a proper shell can go over that lot. This gives lots of flexibility, breathes extreemly well and is lightweight.

I also carry a primaloft layer( generator smock) but that very rarely comes out of the sac.
davelancs
Stravaiging

Munros:197   Corbetts:15
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:193
Wainwrights:211   

Postby [neil] » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:02 pm

I've ended up returning the Arete & Prism and now have a Rab VR Lite & Generator. Think the VR gives me a lot more flexibility as a windproof fleece alternative and the Generator as an emergency throw-it-over-everything warm layer or camp/bothy warmth - a more flexible alternative to a down jacket. Really impressed with how light the Generator is!
[neil]
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:7   

Postby alexpdjdj » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi, I have a Prism and its great for autumn/winter or this time of year (cold spring), but its far too warm for summer. Its a great jacket though.
alexpdjdj
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:156   

Postby wul21 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:55 pm

I find the Rab VR Lite does the job, plus I carry a Berghaus Ignite jkt in case it gets a bit chilly when taking a break or up top, both are good pieces of kit and do a great job.
wul21

Munros:149   

Postby JanD » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:52 am

I've recently bought a Rab VR jacket too. Brilliant bit of kit.

I've now stopped carrying the insulated jacket and started carrying a thin down body warmer instead
JanD
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk