walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Crampons/ice axe

Crampons/ice axe

Postby DougB84 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi folks, just wondering what your own personal preference is when it comes to winter equipment and any recommendations?

Most of the mountains I've done in the snow haven't really called for crampons but I was looking to invest in a pair to have with me just in case things get a bit dicey! I'm interested to hear any experiences and positives/negatives about any gear you had tried. I use Altberg Warrior Aqua boots, which would "officially" not be suited to crampon use but I was wondering if anyone had tried a C1 crampon with regular boots and what the results were? If not anyone got any experiences with things like YakTrax?
DougB84
Rambler

Munros:79   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:59   

Re: Crampons/ice axe

Postby gerrydelaney » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:27 pm

I use Kahtoola K10 crampons with my Salomon Quest boots and have never had a problem. They re flexible and ideally suited for 3 season boots. The Black Diamond Contact Strap Ons (unfortunate name:) ) can be used with flexible boots although I haven t tried these myself.
gerrydelaney
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:78
Wainwrights:140   

Postby camy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi just looked at your post am new to all this crampons and what kind of boots needed for winter walking but theres a pair of black diamond crampons brand new on gumtree for £50 which sounds like a bargain to me.
They are in your area as well :D :D :D :D
camy
Mountaineer

Postby Longlallies » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:41 am

You could probably get away with Grivel Monta Rosa's or something like that on your Altbergs, so long as you don't do anything too steep and icy which would require lots of front pointing or would stress the bindings too much. I use Scarpa Mantas and G12s with the rear bale which is a really solid and versatile set up for walking and climbing. A friend of mine climbed Dorsal Arete in lean conditions in salomon trail running shoes and monta rosas. Whilst scoring high in the sketch scale, it just about worked and so I would suggest that your boots + flexy walking crampons would be fine for much winter walking.

There are methods for climbing steep icy slopes fairly safely with just an axe by cutting side steps or pigeon style steps, but this is slow and obviously nowhere near as safe as crampons. An axe is absolutely essential for anything wintery though, more so than crampons IMO. The axe I use is a DMM Cirque which is a great bit of kit, the curve is particularly handy when you come across something pretty steep and have to hold the axe high on the shaft just below the pick to help you over something, but really any walking axe will do so long as it's long enough for you to cut steps without crouching to reach the ground.
Longlallies

Postby gman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:19 am

I think the B0-B3, C1-C3 system was a simplification, and these days we've got some crampons fitted with flex bars as standard that are compatible with stiffer soled B0 boots (C0.5/B0.5?). This could be the best option for winter Munro baggers who aren't doing graded climbs because the boots aren't so stiff that they kill your feet and you've got crampons for the icy bits. I've used B0 Meindl Burmas with C1 crampons for the past 3 winters with no problems, a lot of B2 boots get worn once & go straight on ebay because they're too painful to walk in.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby DougB84 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:31 am

That's magic, cheers guys. It's pretty much what I thought would be the case but figured it makes sense to check with folk that have tried it! The Altbergs have a fairly stiff sole and I've used them in all conditions with no dramas at all, so the black diamond/semi flex style crampons will be getting trialled with them.

Thanks for the feedback

Doug
DougB84
Rambler

Munros:79   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:59   

Postby Pete E » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Re YakTrax..

I have a set of their standard Walkers..

I use them mostly for around town when there is snow and ice on the ground, but have also used them a couple of times to walk down gently sloping ice covered forestry tracks/roads.

Around town, they are great and because of their design you can go in and out of shops ect with out tearing up the floor.

I would not recommend them for anymore serious walking though and I am in the process of getting some light /flexible trail crampons..One of the main draw backs with the Yak Trax is they ball up with snow quite badly and can need clearing very frequently, maybe every 50 yards..
Pete E
Mountaineer

Postby alexpdjdj » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 pm

gerrydelaney wrote:I use Kahtoola K10 crampons

I have these too, they are great for walking in snow and ice and as long as you aren't planning anything too technical they are fantastic. Defo worth the money.
alexpdjdj
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:156   

Postby BigT » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:31 pm

my tip would be be don't cut the strap too short on the side of your other hand. I took the advice to trim the strap back to more manageable length, and that works fine on my right hand where I am more dextrous. on the left it's a hassle with me stretching across, so i would have kept the strap a few inches longer if i bought them today. I use the monta rosa's just now as entry level walking crampons, no front pointing for me. I have wore them with both a B0 meindle and a B2 scarpa boot without issue.
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby gordonmidd » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:24 pm

gerrydelaney wrote:I use Kahtoola K10 crampons with my Salomon Quest boots and have never had a problem. They re flexible and ideally suited for 3 season boots. The Black Diamond Contact Strap Ons (unfortunate name:) ) can be used with flexible boots although I haven t tried these myself.

Got the Kahtoola crampons too, ideal for me as I'm not a huge winter fan and only really use them on icy paths etc.
Get the steel ones though not the aluminium they wear a lot better.

I think they were around £100 or so.
gordonmidd
Mountaineer

Munros:28   
Fionas:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Eskimo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:00 am

Modern flexable crampons are just that....flexable. I've even managed to fit and use a pair of Monta Rosas on my Inov8 trail trainers, I'm sure Phil Turner has managed this as well. Not suggesting this would be suitable for long term use or on complex terrain but it goes to show actually how flexable the lower rated crampons are these days.
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby antonr » Mon May 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi, I have been wondering about crampons and an ice axe for a while (though I'm not sure my current boots will be suitable as they are very much three seasons boots, quite flexible and do tend to leak a little)

Managed to find a petzl crampon and ice axe deal for £155, seem a lot better brand than just getting Tiso's own brand stuff (which is £140) and this only £15 more plus you're getting the leash and the bag thrown in.
antonr
Mountaineer

Munros:4   

Postby geefre » Mon May 19, 2014 5:48 pm

antonr wrote:Hi, I have been wondering about crampons and an ice axe for a while (though I'm not sure my current boots will be suitable as they are very much three seasons boots, quite flexible and do tend to leak a little)

Managed to find a petzl crampon and ice axe deal for £155, seem a lot better brand than just getting Tiso's own brand stuff (which is £140) and this only £15 more plus you're getting the leash and the bag thrown in.

Well, Tiso do not manufacture ice tools. I think they are re-branded Grivels, the same as at Go Outdoors (with North Ridge "maker"). It even says so at the description: http://www.tiso.com/shop/climbing/ice-axes/tiso-crampon-ice-axe-bundle-offer/

I can't compare Petzl against Grivel, but both are high-end manufacturers.
geefre
Scrambler

Munros:265   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 pm

antonr wrote:Hi, I have been wondering about crampons and an ice axe for a while (though I'm not sure my current boots will be suitable as they are very much three seasons boots, quite flexible and do tend to leak a little)

Where did you see the petzl deal?
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby antonr » Thu May 22, 2014 3:32 pm

it's on a webpage called elite mountain supplies (I can't post links because I'm a new member and it must be moderating me for spam) Petzl Icewalker axe and a irvis crampons (leverlock or flexlock) crampon bag and point protectors and an axe leash.

it's certainly the deal I'm taking if I'm going to take the plunge into winter walking.
antonr
Mountaineer

Munros:4   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk