walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Hillwalking Jacket Reccomendations

Hillwalking Jacket Reccomendations

Postby cprobertson1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:49 pm

I'm in need of a heavy duty waterproof jacket - I do a lot of long distance hiking in Scotland: lo and behold! Rain everywhere!

I'm ideally looking for something under £50, with £100 being my maximum budget:
- Waterproof: it's Scotland after all and shelter isn't guaranteed out in the wild.
- Lightweight: The lighter the better! These jackets that split into an outer shell and inner layers are useful in this regard!

Any suggestions?
cprobertson1
Scrambler

Re: Hillwalking Jacket Reccomendations

Postby tenohfive » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 am

You want two things then, a waterproof shell and some sort of midlayer. The most common midlayer (and cheapest) are fleeces, and at around £10-12 a Craghoppers Corey fleece will do the job.

On the shell front the Marmot Precip get's pretty good reviews and sells around the £50 mark - though if you're not in any rush I've seen it for as little as £35 in a sale. Rab Tempo (no experience, few reviews) or the heavier Berghaus RG-1 are also options at the lower end of the price range.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby JanD » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:04 pm

I have a Precip. Very impressed with it. It's last years model which I got from GO Outdoors for £45
JanD
Mountaineer

Postby cprobertson1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:42 pm

You want two things then, a waterproof shell and some sort of midlayer
- that was the plan xD My figuring on a 3-in-1 jacket was simply convenience.

Is the hydrostatic head worth worrying about?

I was considering a 10000mm (2000mm breathable) soft shell from Cox Swain (£47...ish). I think it's technically a ski jacket, but given that I might spend a week in a downpour that might not be a bad thing: except it's not as breathable as a lighter jacket.

Having a look at the Marmot Precip/Rab Tempo/Bergaus RG-1 just now - will get back to you soon! =]
cprobertson1
Scrambler

Postby cprobertson1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:07 pm

JanD wrote:I have a Precip. Very impressed with it. It's last years model which I got from GO Outdoors for £45

I've read reviews saying it has breathability problems (but is otherwise very waterproof) - can you opine on that? :P

On a long distance hike I reckon I'll sweat like a politician strapped to a lie-detector; obviously no coat is entirely breathable - was just wondering what you thought of it xD
cprobertson1
Scrambler

Postby tenohfive » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:15 pm

I'm not totally convinced by softshells, despite flirting with a few.

For breathability personally I'd look at something like a Rab Vapour Rise Lite midlayer (that'll resist drizzle etc better than a fleece and breathe better than a softshell) and a lightweight waterproof shell. But the VR Lite's are selling for about £67 alone, so your budget might not quite accommodate the two.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby doggy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:19 pm

some materials are allegedly breathable, goretex, event and the new polartec neoshell. all water proof but expensis.

cheaper jackets like the precip are less breathable due to the materials used and construction. they are also coated with DWR which eventually needs reproofed with nikwax inthe washing machine.

you would only be wearing the water proof jacket in the rain, if its windy you can use a windproof top. its also important to understand some wind getting through keeps you cool and helps dissapait the sweat.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby JanD » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 pm

cprobertson1 wrote:
JanD wrote:I have a Precip. Very impressed with it. It's last years model which I got from GO Outdoors for £45

I've read reviews saying it has breathability problems (but is otherwise very waterproof) - can you opine on that? :P

On a long distance hike I reckon I'll sweat like a politician strapped to a lie-detector; obviously no coat is entirely breathable - was just wondering what you thought of it xD

I wore it over a Rab Vapourise for a whole day of rain and had no issues. I did have the pit zips open in the afternoon though. I also have a very good breathable base layer and started out on the chilly side so I never got to the point of being hot. I run hot and can often be found wearing less than a lot of people. I find starting out cold(ish) helps. I didn't even get damp under the rucksack areas which surprised me. I cannot tolerate a jacket without pit zips and I find they make a huge difference.

I used to wear Paramo as I found that was the only thing that worked and breathed but I now find too hot most of the time.
JanD
Mountaineer

Postby weebirdie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:42 pm

I can only speak of the women's version, but I bought a Montane Atomic which is Pertex Shield and, I think, 20000 hydrostatic head. Excellent breathability, perfectly windproof, kept me perfectly dry across Rannoch Moor in horrendous conditions. Very lightweight too. Go Outdoors have reduced the girlie version to about £65, will check to see if man version has been reduced too.
weebirdie
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby weebirdie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:46 pm

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/montane-atomic-jacket-p202589

Unfortunately, the bloke version has not been reduced as the girlie version has; but I would still say it's worth the cashola. :D
weebirdie
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby jepsonscotland » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:11 am

I don't think the softshell will be breathable enough for your needs. Maybe an average mid layer to keep the costs down, but be prepared to pay a little more for a good shell.
PM sent.
Chris.
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk