walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Phil's favourite old gear: Crux AK50

Phil's favourite old gear: Crux AK50

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:39 pm

In his latest gear review, Phil takes a look at his battered old rucksack.

After my last post concerning the demise of the Inov-8 Terroc 330 trailshoes and in the midst of an uncharacteristic haze of nostalgia, I began to survey the other items in my gear store that have been called variously “game-changer”, “iconic” or “go-to” depending on your penchant for the colloquial. As I’ve just booked my annual trip to the Alps my thoughts turned to the concept of a mountaineering rucksack....

Read the full review here.

Have you got an old, battered gear that you’d never part with?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Phil's favourite old gear: Crux AK50

Postby gaffr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:42 am

Rucksacks....they don't seem to wear out. :)
Range from a fifty odd year Tiso/Karrimor Mk 2 through to the Osprey.
The Tiso is used nowadays for gathering wind tumbled bits form trees for use in the stove, the giant Karrimor is far too big and you tend to carry too much kit but I have used it in Corse several times when camping, the Karrimor alpinist is a good size if using a refuge, the Osprey is a good all round sack and will probably take this to GR52/55 this summer, the larger Murray Hamilton is a reasonable day sack and the Little one I use on the bike hence the dazzle strips. :lol:
HPIM7216 (640x372).jpg
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Phil's favourite old gear: Crux AK50

Postby StevenF » Thu May 08, 2014 8:03 am

One of my favourite pieces of clothing was a very old pair of walking pants, I never knew the brand as I got it from someone and the label was removed. I really loved it and was very dissapointed when it ripped completely.
I replaced it with a Patagonia Nomader, after one walk I realised how bad my old pair of pants really were. Out with the old and on with the new!
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:77   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk