walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Questions from a novice hiker.

Questions from a novice hiker.

Postby eeeeeediot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi all.

I would like to firstly say that I only very recently joined this site and that even though this is my first post I have been lurking in the shadows reading all kinds of articles/reviews/threads etc. It has been very informative indeed and helped me greatly in completing my first 2 Munros ever. A Special thanks must go to this user review as its what I used to complete my first hike - Bidean nam Bian & Stob Coire Sgreamhach - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13908

I have a few questions though regarding gear and if at any point they seem silly then please forgive me. I have read a lot about the technology behind breathability (DWR coatings, PFTE membranes etc) as well as discovered the wonders of merino wool and its natural wicking characteristics as well as it being pretty odor resistant. My questions stem from my first ever hike up the cobbler where I wore cotton socks and walking boots. I managed to obtain huge heel blisters that were very sore and hindered the enjoyment of the walk. I returned home and did my research and bought my self a few pairs of Smartwool Light Crew Hiking Socks.

During my 8 hour trek up my first two Munros I felt the socks were comfy but I could still feel sweat on my feet. The blisters were only partially healed at this point and I could still feel them being aggravated in the boot.

My question: Will a poorly breathable waterproof boot(like mine - Decathlone Forclaz 100 Novodry) hinder the ability of the merino socks to effectively wick away sweat from my foot? Or has the socks just not perfumed as well as I think they should? The sock was wet, saturated with sweat, not what i expected

Furthermore, to totally understand the concept of wicking I would also like this questions asked. Imagine I stood in a bath of water with my bare feet, stepped out and put on the Smartwool socks and lay on a bed. After a while would I be able to take my socks off and feel my feet now dry? If so, is the moisture (water) retained in the outside of the sock or in the inside fibers of the sock.

Sorry for the long post, any clarification would welcomed!
eeeeeediot
Scrambler

Munros:3   

Re: Questions from a novice hiker.

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:42 am

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:19 am

I suspect you are right in thinking that cheap waterproof boots aren't very breathable, but you probably shouldn't focus too much on the socks - if your boots are giving you blisters it is most likely because they aren't a good fit.

Buying boots is a tricky business, easy to make mistakes. Chalk that one up to experience and get a different pair!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby doggy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 am

So far I've been very unimpressed with the wicking claims manufacturers make. I sweat quite heavily going up a munro, recently at the top of Beinn Ime I removed my event jacket and my base layer was soaking in sweat (Rab Hoodie). How can my base layer dry out when it's snowing and freezing cold? I can't see how it can. Maybe in the summer with a breeze a t shirt will dry out but in the winter forget it.

I wear Scarpa Delta gtx boots with mountain warehouse 50% merino socks. The boots are also treated with HS12 cream. Once or twice in deep streams I felt that water got in the top of the boot but when removed my socks were fine, just a bit sweaty. I hear the gortex lining is poor at breathing?? So possibly my body heat is drying the socks/boots or they never really got wet in the first place. I know guys that wear socks out of Primark, it all depends on your feet and if you want to take risks with blisters. I still get the odd blister on my left heel while wearing decent socks, possibly the left boot is a fraction tight or loose.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Michael Thomson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 am

Socks, one of my favourite topics!
Merino's exceptionally popular because a lot of people think it's a wonder fabric, which means that the sock manufacturers can hike the price and shift them by the bucketload, but when it comes to performance there are some issues.

Firstly, merino fibres absorb moisture, which means the socks get damp. Sure they dry quite quickly, but not if they are encased in a boot. Secondly,wool generates heat when it gets wet, so you get warmer feet, which makes them sweat even more, the vicious circle of sogginess.

If you're wearing a mesh shoe, there's plenty airflow so that becomes less of a problem, but if you're wearing a membrane lined boot, that's not so good.

Everyone is different and some sweat more than others so no one rule fits for everyone, but here's the key stuff:
1. If you're wearing lined boots, look at synthetic fibre mixes. Low absorption and mechanical wicking can help shift the moisture up and out of the big hole at the top of the boot. My personal preference for synthetic sock is the Hiking Outdoor Pro from Wigwam.
2. Membrane lined boots only stop you getting wet feet from the outside and can increase heat retention which makes your feet wet from the inside.
3. Moving at pace in the UK climate will generally result in moisture production, I prefer to be quick drying rather than trying to prevent the inevitable. If mesh upper shoes are a possibility for you, try them out. You are more likely to get wet from the outside with those, so it's a balancing act.
4. Everyone will tell you something different. If you hang around here someone will be along in a minute to tell you that they've worn merino socks for ages and their feet are always bone dry. The only one who can get it right for you is you. Experiment with different fibres and footwear types if you can until you find a balance that suits you.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby doggy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:55 am

Great post.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby eeeeeediot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks very much for all the replies!

I have read a bit about mesh trail runners and I like the idea of them for hiking as opposed to a big heavy boot but I have a few concerns

I have very bad ankles and I feel that my boots offer me protection just now and stop my ankles rolling over if my foot slips off a rock, do trail runners offer the same protection? Can you get mesh boots?

Also, I have done some pack packing/wild camping and plan on doing a lot more, are boots or trail runners better for carrying packs uphill?
eeeeeediot
Scrambler

Munros:3   

Postby Porrige Pot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:23 am

i've never seen mesh boots, probably because they would be illogical.

mesh footwear comes from the watersport industry - it allows people to protect the soles of their feet and toes while letting the inevitable water just drain out. they are a slightly beefed up flip-flop, you can climb over rocks in them, you can mooch into town in them, but they are not supportive footwhere becasuse they have no structure to support anything with. deliberately.

your problem, from what i can see, is caused by wearing a plastic bag inside your boot and hoping that expensive marketing will stop it feeling clammy. take a tesco plastic bag. put 20 pin holes in it. put it over your head for 30 seconds. are you dripping in sweat? yes? ok, why do you expect your feet to be any different? now take the bag off...

synthetic socks - rather than silk/cotton/wool - will mitigate, to a limited degree, the feeling of sweatiness - but not by much... your sweat problem, which added to your ill-fitting boots is causing your blisters, will only be adressed by wearing well-fitted boots that don't make you sweat like Gordon Brown in a maths test.

personally i still like to wear boots for ankle support when carrying heavy loads - some don't . i wear Meindl Borneo boots, decent support, no plastic bag lining. i think Brasher still do boots without a gore-tex lining, along with Lowa, Alt-berg etc...
Porrige Pot

Postby Michael Thomson » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:00 pm

Plenty of choice for lightweight mids with some mesh in the upper. They'll give you ankle support without the weight penalty and breathability issues of a big boot. Don't go full mesh, that has it's own problems, but looks for something that fits the middle ground.
If you wear trail shoes your ankles will get stronger, if you keep the ankle immobilised in a boot there's no work being done to strengthen them. Start gently and build up.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby bydand_loon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:34 pm

I wont get into the sock/boot/shoe debate (other than i wear thin alpaca socks :D with a thin nylon? liner sock and leather non gtex boots or non waterproof shoes and it works for me)

but get a couple of packets of compeed, the heel ones are actually very effective under big toes as well as the heel, and the toe ones are ideal for the tops of toes, if you have a healing blister stick one on before you go out, dont buy the cheap crap ones though
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk