walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Snow Goggles

Snow Goggles

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Time to dig out the goggles again,question is how do I stop condensation & misting up on the inside please.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Snow Goggles

Postby Gythral » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:16 pm

A few comments are in this http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44893

spit...
RayZor Anti-fog stick or Nikwax spray

I don't often get this problem with just my glasses on, but glasses, OTG goggles and something covering my nose and mouth... almost nothing stops the goggles misting up...
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby murwilson » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:19 pm

Spit in them. It's how swimmers stop there goggles from steaming up.

Or buy a decent pair that vent properly :lol:

Mur
murwilson

Postby cairngormswalker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:23 am

You just need goggles with two layers and decent vents. There are plenty on ebay and they are cheap.

Also, i agree that winter = snow goggles season. In fact, i rarely do any serious walking i.e munros without goggles in my rucksack. If it's windy or has any prospect of being so, or if it's cloudy, they come with me. It's just so much more comfortable when it gets nasty. In the winter in proper cold wind you really cant manage without them.
cairngormswalker
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby CharlesT » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:59 am

Just a point here. Although I carry snow goggles, Julbo with non-misting photochromatic lenses, I only use them when conditions dictate, ie wind blowing spindrift, snow and sleet etc. For general winter use and to counterract snow dazzle I wear snow specific sunglasses, see my avatar. Ordinary sunglasses are not that effective unless they have the correct lenses and wrap round. Not suggesting you are likely to get snow blindness in Scotland but it can avoid a day of squinting and a bad headache.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby jepsonscotland » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Spit always worked in our masks for scuba diving!
I don't really like the idea, but it certainly works. :shock:

I'd like to know if the above mentioned RayZor stuff works.
I bought a pair of these off Ebay and although they are comfy, but, they steam up in seconds and are rubbish at clearing.
Only £12, but not much use.

I bought Sundown goggles from Tiso (not expensive) and they are brilliant.
Never fog up and really help keep elements at bay.
Good luck.
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Just thinking about this and the old trick for stopping a shaving mirror fogging up came to mind. Those who shave may recall thet if you rub your shaving mirror with shaving foam and rinse, it does not steam up. Just throwing this out there and deffo worth a try?
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Walk-n-Roller » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Any recommendations for a cheap but effective pair of goggles?
Walk-n-Roller
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:11

Postby Alastair S » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:13 pm

CharlesT wrote:Not suggesting you are likely to get snow blindness in Scotland but it can avoid a day of squinting and a bad headache.

I take issue with you here Charles. To quote Wikipedia snow blindness (aka Photokeratitis) "is a painful eye condition caused by exposure of insufficiently protected eyes to the ultraviolet rays." & "Photokeratitis is akin to a sunburn of the cornea and conjunctiva, and is not usually noticed until several hours after exposure. Symptoms include increased tears and a feeling of pain, likened to having sand in the eyes". Furthermore, like sunburn, the effect is accumulative and can't be reversed. People with pale eye colouring are even more risk of UV related eye damage.

It wasn't till I experienced this condition twice when hill walking here in Scotland that I cottoned on. I now always wear goggles when above the snow line, even when it is cloudy, even when there is no wind. I'm probably more sensitive than most folk as I grew up in the tropics and never worn sunglasses.

So kiddies, always wear proper protection when above the snow line - you [now] know it makes sense.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Alastair S » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:25 pm

cairngormswalker wrote:You just need goggles with two layers and decent vents. There are plenty on ebay and they are cheap.

The problem with ski goggles is that they are designed for skiers. They spend a lot of their time at speed so there is always a flow of air though the goggles' vents. When wearing my goggles over my prescription glasses I have real problems with fogging is there isn't much wind about. So any pointers to goggles that work well with prescription glasses are most welcome.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby nathan79 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Smear a wee blob of washing up liquid inside the lenses. Definitely helps. Got that tip when paintballing. Can't remember if I need to do it with my goggles, that long since I've had to wear them!
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby CharlesT » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:27 pm

Alastair S wrote:
CharlesT wrote:Not suggesting you are likely to get snow blindness in Scotland but it can avoid a day of squinting and a bad headache.

I take issue with you here Charles. To quote Wikipedia snow blindness (aka Photokeratitis) "is a painful eye condition caused by exposure of insufficiently protected eyes to the ultraviolet rays." & "Photokeratitis is akin to a sunburn of the cornea and conjunctiva, and is not usually noticed until several hours after exposure. Symptoms include increased tears and a feeling of pain, likened to having sand in the eyes". Furthermore, like sunburn, the effect is accumulative and can't be reversed. People with pale eye colouring are even more risk of UV related eye damage.

It wasn't till I experienced this condition twice when hill walking here in Scotland that I cottoned on. I now always wear goggles when above the snow line, even when it is cloudy, even when there is no wind. I'm probably more sensitive than most folk as I grew up in the tropics and never worn sunglasses.

So kiddies, always wear proper protection when above the snow line - you [now] know it makes sense.

I can't disagree with your advice. My only point in referring to Scotland was that on the whole the conditions for snow blindness are not met, primarily long and continuous exposure to the reflected glare off snow fields. That said I learned the advisability of having the correct goggles from bitter experience at altitude where the UV effect is worse. In passing I'd also note the necessity of a good sunblock cream especially if you value your nose.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby doggy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:36 pm

How do you know if your sunglasses are snow sunglasses? I have a pair of Oakley half jackets, I've got a feeling they're ok.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Backpacker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:38 pm

doggy wrote:How do you know if your sunglasses are snow sunglasses? I have a pair of Oakley half jackets, I've got a feeling they're ok.

If the lenses are polarised they'll be fine (outwith a blizzard)
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby CharlesT » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Backpacker wrote:
doggy wrote:How do you know if your sunglasses are snow sunglasses? I have a pair of Oakley half jackets, I've got a feeling they're ok.

If the lenses are polarised they'll be fine (outwith a blizzard)

A problem well known to us daft winter cyclists is that polarised lenses cut out the reflection from the road surface that says "ICE" with potentially dire consequences, so we avoid them. Similar problems could occur on a snow slope so I prefer non-polarised with an amber tint for average snow conditions and blue if it's very bright. Photochromic lenses help too, making the going easier when it gets darker.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk