walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

What do you actually do with your handheld GPS?

What do you actually do with your handheld GPS?

Postby roaming_free » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:26 am

Having recently purchased a new Garmin GPS 62s, my first GPS, i was wondering what the heck I'm actually supposed to do with it.

It's too chilly right now (in my opinion) to take it on an actual hike so I've just been playing around with it and so far I can see some potential uses, which are, in no apparent order:

Marking the position of the trail starting point. (including car park / bus / train station etc.) which can then be referred back to later.

Showing your current position, which when read as OS grid ref can be transferred to an OS map.

Leaving a 'breadcrumb trail' with the use of the autotrack function.

Marking out places of interest as you go along the trail.

Thats as far as I've got so far but I can see there is surely much more to this little device, such as, using some function to input a pre-set destination and navigate towards that.

So, what have the you, the walkinghighlands members who have a handheld GPS actually been doing with them whilst out and about

AND

I still have a week or so left on the returns option, and I'm losing sleep over whether to return the GPSMAP 62s and get a Garmin Oregon 600. Any opinions on whether I should stick with the GPSMAP or should I go for the Oregon?

I think the main reason I want to go for the Oregon is that I keep feeling the urge to scroll the map (UK discoverer 1:50k) but I think this is simply an affect of browsing the GPS sitting on my settee, and that out in the field, there would be no real necessity to scroll through the map.

Also, the main pro for keeping the GPSMAP is that unit is picking up great 5 bar sat reception - in the house - this makes me feel that it would be ideal in deep forest cover - I plan on doing some real bushcraft setups in the coming months, first time with tarp / hammock / bivvi etc, I know it is possible to lose your bearings in deep woodland, so if the GPSMAP operates in those conditions then that is a great reason to keep it I feel.

So guys What the heck do you actually do with a GPS when out and about?
roaming_free
Hill Bagger

Re: What do you actually do with your handheld GPS?

Postby gaffr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:53 pm

That is a powerful wee navigational tool that you have. Lots of useful things to do for finding your way around. You could try entering in some co-ordinates from say an on screen Memory Map....just set the pointer using the mouse onto a desired way-point then enter it into your device. I use the 'Mark' button which will of course be your home co-ordinates scroll up and down to alter the way-points in the location box and to also give it a new name and notes etc. @enter into the way-point manager list.
Press 'page' get the main menu then into 'way-point manager' where it will be stored....'enter' to get the way-point you wish to find your way to....press 'Map' then 'Go'. From 'Page' select 'compass' then navigate as with a compass if required.
You should now be on your way to the way-point....should be reasonably accurate when taken from Map to device if you are careful with the pointer. You could enter/alter a more accurate way-point at the feature arrived at if you want to keep it accurately stored.
Useful for finding your way around the hills with big snowy plateau areas!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby roaming_free » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:41 am

Thanks gaffr :) I'm discovering that it sure is a powerful wee navigation tool and then some!

I have been slowly getting to grips with it and what you say echoes my current idea about it -

It took me some time to realise that a waypoint is just exactly the same as a pencil point on a paper map, or in other words, a point on the landscape (i think i was over complicating things a bit :crazy: )

And I'm realising that with gps waypoints you can:

Find your current location, (like the pencil point on a paper map) anywhere anytime – simply by using the 'mark' function.

Plot a course from your current location (waypoint 1) to a projected location (waypoint 2) – (just like plotting a course between 2 pencil points on a paper map)

and then plot a whole route which is simply point to point to point to point and so on.

I’m definately finding that GPS is totally all about the waypoints -

The 3 w's: waypoints, waypoints & more waypoints, lol. :lol:

I will look into Memory Maps, i have the Garmin Basecamp software but i haven't installed it yet, planning on having a look at that over the weekend too.

I also had a look at the awesome GPS planner on this site – absolutely amazing that is, just need to figure out what to do with the ...gpx files i got from it.

And yes, using the compass page whilst going from point to point looks pretty much like a digital version of a baseplate compass with direction of travel arrow, like the Silva 123 method, pretty solid way to do things I think.

I think the main thing i'm enthusiastic about, is the idea that if you have a handheld gps, you can veer way off a marked route and still easily find your way.

Awesome!

Here is part one of a five part youtube tutorial I found by a guy who teaches navigation to special forces and mountain rescue teams, pretty cool how he uses an old Garmin he got off ebay for £35! Tutorial is worth a look I think even for those who already know their stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJKjIBw5O8
roaming_free
Hill Bagger

Postby gaffr » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:23 am

You are in good hands if you are into LB's tutorials. :)
Just getting outside and using the device then the confidence will flow. Yes who needs to travel over unpleasant terrain when you are navigating with one of these....boggy ground, slippery rocks etc. avoid and then home in on your waypoint. :lol:
When you get fed up with my manual ways of getting the waypoints into the device then getting into the Basecamp stuff is the way forward. However the manual way certainly does get you pressing on the various buttons. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby TheFox » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:47 pm

roaming_free wrote:Having recently purchased a new Garmin GPS 62s, my first GPS, i was wondering what the heck I'm actually supposed to do with it.

Isn't that something you'd ideally know before you purchase something? :lol:
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   

Postby tall-story » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:06 pm

TheFox wrote:
roaming_free wrote:Having recently purchased a new Garmin GPS 62s, my first GPS, i was wondering what the heck I'm actually supposed to do with it.

Isn't that something you'd ideally know before you purchase something? :lol:

That's exactly what I as thinking :shock: its a hell of a lot of money to spend on something you don't know what to do with :?
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby stevesey » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Well there is the obvious use of looking at it to see where I am? Along with distance to next feature/junction in the path etc.

Ensuring I don't wander off faint paths when in the cloud and if I do seeing if the path is on the left or right. Re-finding a nearby path in thick cloud is the one area where a GPS is a real benefit compare to map and compass - no back tracking or searching left then right - just look at the GPS and see that the path is 15m to your left. Of course you may say I should have payed more attention and stayed on the path - but bolder fields, bogs etc can make that difficult - a GPS saves a lot of time and faff.

Trip recording and logging e.g. http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTM1MjQ4Ng==

Trip stats are useful for estimating distance to go and destination arrival times (I often walk with groups of different speeds - so average speed for that group on that day is useful to be able to refer to).

I'm using Viewranger on a old phone that now acts as a dedicated GPS - if there is a data signal where I am (often not) I can use the beacon feature - so SWMBO can go to a web page to see where about I am!!

Checking different maps - have have OpenCycleMap and OS 1:25000 for the National Parks - OS paths are sometimes a bit "notional" Open Cycle Map paths are more reliable - so if its not on OSM - but is on OS I know there's a good chance it's not going to be easy to follow (e.g. a faint indentation on the grass).

Downloading other peoples gpx files and following their routes - very reassuring when there is no path.
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:46 pm

When I'm out photographing I often do a lot of wandering about off paths and frequently don't finish until it's nearly dark. My mind is very focussed on shooting and I often finish up with absolutely no idea of where I am. After a few close shaves I now make sure I have my GPS recording my track so that I know I can always get back to the path even when I can't see it. Makes it worth its weight in gold to me.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:24 pm

When I bought my first GPS I knew what it done, but took me about a year to get to grips with it,me and instructions just don't get along.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby roaming_free » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:13 am

Hmm I tried to post replies as a multi quote with the quotes I refer to but the auto anti spam is going postal on me due to my newbie status - I can't quote other posts :(

@ gaffr

:lol: I actually had to turn the beep noise off as I was annoying everyone with my manic button pressing!

Yep, Lyle Brotherton seems to know his stuff, 'The Ultimate Navigation Manual' is on my future purchase list.

and yes, getting outside with the unit is the only way to test it out I think, and somewhere new too - not much point on taking it to my local day hike routes that I know like the back of my hand, so I'm really inspired to expand my horizons now, really keen to get out and about in new places off the beaten track,

Basecamp definately looks to be the way to really get the most out of any GPS, there is a lot to take in with it all though :crazy: I'm on a real learning curve here! Or trying to be at least :lol:

@TheFox

:lol: I confess to being rather impulsive in my purchases at times, usually though it turns out to have been a good idea ... now where did I put that Vango motorcycle ashtray...
roaming_free
Hill Bagger

Postby roaming_free » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:18 am

@tall-story

I have faith in my impulses :lol:

@stevesey

Thanks stevesey, very informative post mate

I'm not really planning on relying on the GPS to save my ass in life threatening situations - I'm not as adventurous as you guys - not as yet anyway! But I really like the idea that the GPS can potentially save a whole lot of faffing about - especially where rain and mud is involved :lol:

That viewranger route is pretty cool, I'm just realising that routes can be shared with others.

Open Cycle Map is more accurate than OS? That is wild, I guess because it is user sourced, constanly updated etc?
Open source is the way to go with so many things now.

@BobMcBob

Cheers BobMcBob, great example of the kind of situations I was visualising myself when thinking of potential uses.

@Giant Stoneater

Yep, a lot of people seem to be saying similar, that the GPS units seem simple but they then realise it can take a while to really get to grips with, and get the best out of them. I read earlier that a lot of the US bushcraft courses now run supplimental GPS courses - They do actual courses in these things!! :shock: :lol:
roaming_free
Hill Bagger

Postby Essan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:20 am

I save my money :D

Since I rarely venture out on the hill when the clag is down (or likely to come down) and in any case have a very good sense of direction/spatial awareness, I find using my eyes and maybe occasional reference to a map is all that I have ever needed.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby basscadet » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:46 am

I just like looking at the stats when I get back, especially on windy days as the altitudes are all wrong, and it says you've climbed everest, when it was just a wee graham :lol:

Best use is in whiteout conditions - reassuring to know you are on solid ground and not wandering off a cornice :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:20 pm

I'm sure many of us, myself included don't utilise much of the functionality.
Personally I don't leave mine on, probably a hang up from my first GPS, battery life was about 7 hrs.
Now on an Etrex 10 and I still don't leave it on, so trip results, stats are irrelevant.
I plot waypoints on the GPS planner on this site, save in gpx format onto the pc.
Yours being a Garmin should be the same.
Then open the file, you will need some software for this, I use EasyGPS, free to download. Then just click on Send to GPS and the waypoints, route whatever will be on the GPS. My Garmin when plugged into the pc, eventually brings up a window on the pc, that standard one in Windows asking what do you want to do, ie open, browse files etc. I have to close that before I can upload the waypoints from EasyGPS, so I wait for that before Sending to GPS.
I still mark the same on a paper map, with pencil, but then I'm a map fan.
Golden rule following any waypoint, remember it'll take you in a straight line, something to never forget, especially trying to navigate around an arc, with sheer cliffs to one side..enjoy :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby gman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:25 pm

I've got an Etrex 10, I load gpx routes onto it and follow them when I'm out. You can get routes here (from the WH route page) or from trip reports and amend them to add hills or approach from a different direction etc. You can also make up your own routes on the planner here or using software like Quo.

For example: I went to central gully on Bidean recently, couldn't see a path marked on the OS map or find a trip report gpx file so I used Bing maps. Bing lets you toggle between an arial photo and the OS map, there was a path visible on the arial photo so I used the My Places tool to plot a route and export it as a gpx file. Opened this in Quo, amended it and printed a map. Then plugged in my Etrex and copied the amended gpx file to the GPX folder on the Etrex (you don't need any additional software to do this). I saved the track from the walk and compared this with the planned route.

A lot of this is complicated when you first get a gps, but I think it's worth getting used to downloading routes, amending them and making them up from scratch and loading them on to your gps device.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk