walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

viewranger

Re: viewranger

Postby sonic » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:38 pm

BobMcBob wrote:You can increase your battery life significantly by enabling 'aeroplane mode' (or 'flight mode' or whatever your phone calls it). For long days with mine I take a PowerMonkey and top the battery up with that.

Another great tip I had done Beinn Dorain and Beinn an dothaidh yesterday and used this and it worked brilliantly having been out for 7 hours and had 34% battery left :D
sonic
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 124
Munros:16   Corbetts:2
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby ancancha » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:09 pm

sonic wrote:Hi folks
After commenting on another thread about gps namely "buying a gps" I have downloaded viewranger with a view to trying it this weekend on the hills. Got a question though how do you purchase maps can you do it through the app or do you need to open a viewranger account and how do you know how much they cost

cheers sonic


Hi Sonic
I have used Viewranger for a long time and really like it.
On the map go to the area where you want the map, then tap options > get tiles.
This lets you download map tiles for the walk your are intending to do either in 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 size.
I think your will need an account to pay for them easily, but having an account helps with planning routes on their online site.
Their technical support is first class and they even still let you phone them and you will get to speak to a real techie who knows exactly what they're talking about !
Enjoy :O)
User avatar
ancancha
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 989
Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Joined: Jun 30, 2014
Location: Killadysert

Re: viewranger

Postby sonic » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:23 am

ancancha wrote:
sonic wrote:Hi folks
After commenting on another thread about gps namely "buying a gps" I have downloaded viewranger with a view to trying it this weekend on the hills. Got a question though how do you purchase maps can you do it through the app or do you need to open a viewranger account and how do you know how much they cost

cheers sonic


Hi Sonic
I have used Viewranger for a long time and really like it.
On the map go to the area where you want the map, then tap options > get tiles.
This lets you download map tiles for the walk your are intending to do either in 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 size.
I think your will need an account to pay for them easily, but having an account helps with planning routes on their online site.
Their technical support is first class and they even still let you phone them and you will get to speak to a real techie who knows exactly what they're talking about !
Enjoy :O)


Hi ancancha
I have had the oppurtunity to use the viewranger twice now and it has already proved to be a fantastic app. On my last time out, one of the guys didn't want to do the second hill as he had already done it and gave me a shot of his garmin gps. Was a brilliant piece of kit with some very good features but it cost about £400 in total.
It had a lot of advantages over viewranger on the phone but I found that I would check on the gps and eventually kept refering back to viewranger as it is a lot more user friendly on the hill.
Have used it on both occasions having downloaded a gpx route from walkhighlands and it has worked amazingly well.
I am going to buy some tiles for the next walk and see what thats like but overall its been one of the best apps I think I have downloaded. :D

Thanks
Sonic
sonic
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 124
Munros:16   Corbetts:2
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby ancancha » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:51 am

Hi Sonic
It is very user friendly, and as electricfly says it is so easy to download the GPX from WH and import them into Viewranger online and then sync them to your phone as routes to follow.
I can't remember if I tried any others, but the app and their support is so good I doubt I ever will.
Remember the compass though !
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50823
User avatar
ancancha
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 989
Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Joined: Jun 30, 2014
Location: Killadysert

Re: viewranger

Postby sonic » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:50 pm

ancancha wrote:Hi Sonic
It is very user friendly, and as electricfly says it is so easy to download the GPX from WH and import them into Viewranger online and then sync them to your phone as routes to follow.
I can't remember if I tried any others, but the app and their support is so good I doubt I ever will.
Remember the compass though !
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50823


Thanks again
Downloading the gpx files is so easy dont even use the computer for it. I have a galaxy s3 so I go into walkhighlands with it and then go into the walk report of the route or hill I want to do then click on the link for the gpx file and then the phone asks me if I want to download it straight into viewranger, couldnt be any easier and has worked brilliantly on both occasions.
Would never go into the hills without a map and compass though, as your walk report shows mobile phones can't be totally depended upon completely.
Going to be doing beinn a ghlo hopefully in the coming months so will be referring to your report for reference nice photos

Thanks Sonic
sonic
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 124
Munros:16   Corbetts:2
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: viewranger

Postby ancancha » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:35 am

sonic wrote:
ancancha wrote:Hi Sonic
It is very user friendly, and as electricfly says it is so easy to download the GPX from WH and import.......


Thanks again
Downloading the gpx files is so easy dont even use the computer for it. I have a galaxy s3 so I go into walkhighlands with it and then go into the walk report of the route or hill I want to do then click on the link for the gpx file and then the phone asks me if I want to download it straight into viewranger......


mmm, that's interesting and useful Sonic.
I tried the same on the iPhone, but no result, I have been looking at the Galaxy for a while.
The new phones just look so flimsy though, the old iPhone 4 with a mili charger around it is solid.
User avatar
ancancha
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 989
Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Joined: Jun 30, 2014
Location: Killadysert

Re: viewranger

Postby basscadet » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:42 am

ancancha wrote:
sonic wrote:
ancancha wrote:Hi Sonic
It is very user friendly, and as electricfly says it is so easy to download the GPX from WH and import.......


Thanks again
Downloading the gpx files is so easy dont even use the computer for it. I have a galaxy s3 so I go into walkhighlands with it and then go into the walk report of the route or hill I want to do then click on the link for the gpx file and then the phone asks me if I want to download it straight into viewranger......


mmm, that's interesting and useful Sonic.
I tried the same on the iPhone, but no result, I have been looking at the Galaxy for a while.
The new phones just look so flimsy though, the old iPhone 4 with a mili charger around it is solid.


Thats strange. I have only used it a few times on my iphone 4, but have had no trouble with downloading gpx routes from WH exactly as described by sonic :?
User avatar
basscadet
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 2779
Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21
Joined: Dec 1, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: viewranger

Postby GillC » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:42 pm

I downloaded the fisherfields gpx route from WH,,but when importing to viewranger,,nothing shows, it worked last week with Beinn Dearg,,but now, nothing. (Galaxy A3 being used) Any thoughts?
User avatar
GillC
Walker
 
Posts: 1531
Munros:282   Corbetts:44
Grahams:31   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Joined: May 14, 2010
Location: Chryston

Re: viewranger

Postby rgf101 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:11 pm

Somewhere in the depths of the Viewranger settings you can choose which GPX files are shown and which aren't - so you don't end up with loads overlapping and confusing you. Could be worth looking for that.
rgf101
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Jan 21, 2014

Previous



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free


Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?



Return to Gear and Equipment talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kendrum and 10 guests