walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best waterproof jackets on a budget

Best waterproof jackets on a budget

Postby storm123 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:18 am

Hi I am walking the West Highland Way soon and suspect the weather's not going to be great.

Can anyone recommend a good waterproof, BREATHABLE jacket that's inexpensive?

I would also appreciate any other advice on walking the West Highland Way as I am only a novice walker.
storm123
Mountaineer

Re: Best waterproof jackets on a budget

Postby doggy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:41 pm

If you're lucky you might fine an eVent or gortex jacket for about £100. Buying used might be a better option.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby geordie33 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:13 am

I have got a few jackets from cheap to quite pricey and none of them are breathable on me.Have a look at Regatta which are not expensive.Mine has stood up to some terrible conditions in the North Pennines and has never let water in.
geordie33
Mountaineer

Postby ZEbbEDY » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:57 pm

sportsdirect/fieldandtrek *spit* have got karrimor *spit* eVent jaykits on the cheap

http://www.sportsdirect.com/SearchResults?DescriptionFilter=Karrimor%20Event
ZEbbEDY
Rambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:10 am

Decathlon do some good, inexpensive stuff, best get a jacket big enough that you can fit a fleece under it for chilly weather. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-868898-waterproof-jackets
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby storm123 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:14 am

Thank you all very much for your help, I will have a look at all suggestions. I have the same trouble as you geordie33 the waterproof jackets I have are waterproof but too sweaty! :shock:

Thanks again.
storm123
Mountaineer

Postby RocketSprocker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Not cheap and some folks have apparently had issues with it but I love my Paramo Parajo jacket, maybe not perfect with a heavy pack but I have walked all weather conditions for two years and it hasn't leaked, I find it very breathable and if its really warm out, helped with under arm zipped vents which also have a pop stud so you can vent without a big gaping gap. If it only had reinforced shoulder patches for heavy packs it would in my opinion be virtually unbeatable.
RocketSprocker
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:8
Fionas:12   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:1

Postby Allan_ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:43 pm

storm123 wrote:Hi I am walking the West Highland Way soon and suspect the weather's not going to be great.

Can anyone recommend a good waterproof, BREATHABLE jacket that's inexpensive?

I would also appreciate any other advice on walking the West Highland Way as I am only a novice walker.

Hi Storm123, I'm also walking the West Highland Way soon and on the look out for a good jacket. Did you manage to find one?
Allan_
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

Postby storm123 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:01 am

Hi still not found a waterproof jacket, can't really decide which one is best and breathable. Lots of good replies from the forum though :D
storm123
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:01 am

Whereabouts in this great land of ours are you? If near Aberdeen there is a great shop near the polis station which has heaps (literally heaps!) of ancient stuff from the seventies, eighties and nineties where a bargain is to be had. Can't remember the name of it right now, maybe someone can help with this? Army and Navy surplus places do interesting alternatives too...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby storm123 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:17 am

Hi I live about 30 miles from Aberdeen so i might try to find that shop. I'm pretty sure Army gear will be decent waterproofing and breathable :D Thanks so much
storm123
Mountaineer

Postby larry groo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:32 am

Caberfeidh wrote:Whereabouts in this great land of ours are you? If near Aberdeen there is a great shop near the polis station which has heaps (literally heaps!) of ancient stuff from the seventies, eighties and nineties where a bargain is to be had. Can't remember the name of it right now, maybe someone can help with this? Army and Navy surplus places do interesting alternatives too...

It's called McKay's.

Best to inform someone where you're going though as you might not find your way out of the shop.

http://www.mckaysofqueenstreet.moonfruit.com/
larry groo

Postby storm123 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:34 am

Ha ha will do! Thanks for the link :clap:
storm123
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:01 pm

MacKays, that's the one! I got snowshoes there, made from birch wood and caribou gut, with the War Dept. arrow mark and the date 1944 stamped on the side ! Also there were rusty old grappling hooks attached to hemp rope (possibly from the landings at Gallipoli) , various bits and pieces of army surplus kit, drop-forged hobnail boots with tricouni nails and platform boots probably worn by Roy Wood while he sang "See My Baby Jive" in 1973 !
I believe the children's t.v. classic "Mr Ben" was inspired by this shop, and the strange man who suddenly appears, as if by magic... :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:49 pm

If you are a n extra large or an extra small there are sometimes bargains to be had on ebay. I got a paramo whose only defect was that it was in old ladies mauve (I'm an old lady, so don't care) and the season before last's fashion. There was a button which said "Make an offer" I now deeply regret offering as much as I was prepared to pay first time, instead of starting low and offering upwards. For instance there is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paramo-2nds-M ... 58c1eb7c56 which is OK as long as you don't want camouflage, and would certainly ensure you were FOUND to be rescued. You could try offering £50 and move upwards. The failure of quality control is probably a puckered seam or something.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paramo-2nds-M ... rmvSB=true

The link won't transfer properly. Just go and look
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk