walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

C1 Crampons for Large Boots?

C1 Crampons for Large Boots?

Postby Jebus1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi all,

Firstly - what fantastic resources this website and forum are. I've spent many hours reading walk reports and kit reviews while looking forward to my next walk, so thank you all for sharing.

Secondly - apologies if this topic has been covered before - I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for using the search function.

And lastly - my question. I'm looking to get some crampons but I'm struggling to find any that are compatible with my boots. I have Scarpa SL Actives which require C1 crampons. The problem is they are size UK13/EU48 and I can't seem to find any C1 crampons for this size.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Jebus1
Hill Bagger

Munros:37   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:1

Re: C1 Crampons for Large Boots?

Postby Backpacker » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:39 pm

I know you can swap out the bar for a longer one on the Grivel G10's, I'm thinking of doing that as mine only just fit with a standard bar (I had to fit a nut and bolt through the 2nd last hole.)

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Crampons/Crampon-Spares/Grivel/G10Monte-Rosa-Flex-Bar-Long-pair-GRI-G10FBL
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:16   Corbetts:83
Grahams:36   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:4

Postby simon-b » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:35 pm

Backpacker wrote:I know you can swap out the bar for a longer one on the Grivel G10's, I'm thinking of doing that as mine only just fit with a standard bar (I had to fit a nut and bolt through the 2nd last hole.)

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Crampons/Crampon-Spares/Grivel/G10Monte-Rosa-Flex-Bar-Long-pair-GRI-G10FBL

I agree with Backpacker. The Grivel long flex bar lets me fit Monte Rosa crampons to my size 46 Mantas and size 45.5 Mammut B1s. It should work with size 48.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Grahams:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Jebus1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

Looks like it will be a set of Grivels + longer bars for me.
Jebus1
Hill Bagger

Postby simon-b » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:24 pm

Jebus1 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys.

Looks like it will be a set of Grivels + longer bars for me.

Glad we were able to help.

Just one word of caution. Some stockists sell the Grivel extension bar (suitable for C2 crampons) but not the flexible one. Backpacker's link describes the correct bar, but I once came close to being sold the wrong bar by a shop that didn't stock the flexible one. The bars are interchangeable, e.g. for using the flexible bar to make a C2 less rigid, but you wouldn't want to make a C1 more rigid when using a B1- C1 combination.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Grahams:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Jebus1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks Simon.

I had wondered about that as the extension bars I had seen for sale by Cotswold Outdoor and Go Outdoors didn't have any mention of flexibility in their description.
Jebus1
Hill Bagger

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk