walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

walking in trainers

walking in trainers

Postby walksintrainers » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:26 pm

I am a fairly inexperienced walker. I know being prepared is essential, but i've always found walking much more enjoyable in trainers. I feel more comfortable and more nimble in them. I've made my way though about half of the walks on the Durinish page (in trainers) and was wondering if anyone could suggest which of the trotternish walks could be attempted in trainers.

(apart from footwear I go well prepared) :)
walksintrainers

Postby Bobblehat » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Hi there

I'm a big fan of walking in trainers or walking shoes as my feet always end up battered after a long walk in boots. The walks I have done in Trotternish which have been fine for trainers are: the Storr, the Quiraing, Beareraig Bay, and to Loch Cuithar - all these walks are on tracks or made paths and although they can be a bit wet after bad weather are fine for trainers. Rubha Huinish is my favourite destination in this area but it only seems to dry out enough for trainers after a long stretch of good weather - either decide to risk wet feet, or go for wellies or walking boots - the chance to see a whale can't be put off for the sake of dry feet!

Good luck with the walking! :wink:
Bobblehat

Postby walksintrainers » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:52 pm

cheers. My next walk of note is narrowed down to
1 ramasaig Orbost
2 waternish point
3 quirang

but the weather has been decent for a while I may try and see a whale or two, thanks for the tip
walksintrainers

Thanks

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:16 pm

Thanks for getting us started with our first comments on a specific walk (Macleods Maidens)!

Re: walking in trainers. I know a few people who do it; and apart from on boulder fields or scree it isn't completely impractical, though there's obviously alot more risk of ankle injury than walking in boots. Chris Townsend, who is one of the Uk's best known hikers, does loads of walking in sandals. The main problem with trainers on walks around the Highlands (apart from support) is wet feet and poor grip - but you must have found that out already :wink: For better grip, why not try a pair of dedicated trail shoes such as Merrill's - a bit more support and better grip than standard trainers but with all the comfort :?:

Ramasaig to Orbost is a real classic walk but fairly challenging - the going is much tougher on the Macleod's Maidens -> Ramasaig leg, with ankle-twisting heather that could be hard in trainers, and very boggy in one or two places, though the scenery is fantastic.

Whales seem to have pitched up already this year (we've seen a Sei and a Minke at Rubha Hunish - and if you want to know I usually walk there in wellies :!: ) - so why not combine some of your suggestions and head for Waternish Point - probably you can do another walk, keep your feet dryish and see whales as well:P Quiraing is probably not that wet for trainers either.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk