walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

West Highland Way - Boots or Shoes?

Re: West Highland Way - Boots or Shoes?

Postby Renegade Scot » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:29 pm

Both myself and my wife had 'Salomon Quest' boots on for the WHW in September. We already had these boots for a while but considered getting trail shoes for the trip. We carried all our kit with my rucksack at about 9kg in total and wifes at around 5kg.

After about day 3 my feet were killing me. The soles of my feet were aching after 2-3 hrs of walking in the morning from that day onward.

Have worn the same but several times since and been up may munro's for overnight wildcamps and not had the same issue. The paths and old military road type heavy gravel seem to take there toll on my feet anyway.

Still not sure if cross / trail trainers would have been better or worse. Maybe just have to do the WHW again to see. :o
Renegade Scot
Munro compleatist

Postby roytheboy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:16 am

Yoke wrote:Bear in mind we cover all our miles in trail shoes therefore our joints and ligaments are conditioned and used to the footwear

...and that's the secret to success with shoes, in the same way that an experienced fighter can use his abs like body armour when being punched. It's all about gradual conditioning and strengthening of the body, so if in doubt, wear boots. Simples!
roytheboy
Munro compleatist

Postby cion10 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Foxy wrote:Hi all.

Nearly there with preparations for the WHW in August but still have one major expense left, over and above my rucksack, new boots / shoes?

I would prefer a good pair of walking/approach shoes over a pair of boots, both for comfort and weight.
Yet again, I would appreciate all your advice and recommendations. TIA

Foxy

Hello
Choosing the right hiking boots is a matchmaking process. Your dream hiking boots need to sync with how and where you hike. Before you tie the knot, though, you also have to be sure they’re a perfect fit.
cion10
Hill Bagger

Postby Miller123 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:49 am

Hello..
I think it depends on us in which we are comfortable boots or shoes during our journey in West Highland
so I think according to me we should wear shoes that will be a comfort for us.
Miller123

I'd wear salamon gt4x trail shoe with low gators

Postby Topdonnie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:22 pm

Foxy wrote:Hi all.

Nearly there with preparations for the WHW in August but still have one major expense left, over and above my rucksack, new boots / shoes?

I would prefer a good pair of walking/approach shoes over a pair of boots, both for comfort and weight.
Yet again, I would appreciate all your advice and recommendations. TIA

Foxy
Topdonnie
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk