walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

WH Gear Test - Baselayers

WH Gear Test - Baselayers

Postby maryhillmoose » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:52 am

Just a quick twopence worth having read the latest gear review of base layers, which can be amongst the most useful but expensive item of clothing for us hilly folk...last year my husband and I hiked/wild camped for 10 days in Yosemite (I know it was awesome 8) ). Picking gear was a massive task, in the end I went head to toe in Berghaus, Icebreaker and Smartwool gear which came in at around £200 for a pair of troos, two pairs sock and two tees, whilst husband opted for Decathlon...merino mix long sleeve baselayers being his staple item - cost around £70 to kit him out. Performance - wise absolutely no difference and odour-wise the non branded stuff coped just as well (although by day 8 we were walking pretty far apart from each other!!!) Only slight difference was my gear weighed a bit less but not really a factor unless lightweight backpacking...

So, getting to point, not everyone wants to/can afford to spend upwards of £30/40/50 on a single t shirt...only the Alpkit item is in a budget category and getting a hold of one could be an issue as their stock is often low/sold out, much as I love their stuff (their head torches are magic).

Please review stuff from a wider selection of retailers and hopefully it will dispel myth that you need super expensive tech gear to go hilly walking and camping - not so!!!

Ok, ta for that!!! :crazy:
maryhillmoose
Mountaineer

Munros:27   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: WH Gear Test - Baselayers

Postby Flo-go » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:47 pm

This months test, its merits and drawbacks were discussed quite comprehensively in this thread:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=52553

Including explanations of why budget gear wasn't included (also my major gripe)

Interesting to hear your experiences though as a first hand experience of a comparison between budget and more expensive gear though. :)
Flo-go

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: WH Gear Test - Baselayers

Postby orion » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:51 pm

If you are ever in any of the hotter parts of the US then try looking in the bigger tool store chains as all the outdoor workies wear them over there.I got 4 wicking tshirts for $25 and they are every bit as good if not better than the Berghaus one I bought there for £25 :)
orion

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk