walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Alpkit Hunka

Alpkit Hunka

Postby liamando » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi guys I was just wondering would it be possible to sleep in a hunka with no sleeping bag? We are talking an average summer night aswell not winter or anything extreme.
liamando
Stravaiging

Munros:153   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Alpkit Hunka

Postby Quixoticgeek » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:07 pm

Depends what you are wearing and how warm you sleep. I would be inclined towards you being cold unless you were wearing a down jacket or similar, or it's a very hot summers night.

Adventure Medical Kits make a bag they call the "SOL Escape Bivvi" which is a breathable survival bag, made of a reflective material that is breathable. I have one, and have slept in it with just a sleeping bag liner. They are quite expensive in the UK, and the UK importer only imports the ORANGE version. But you can get the Olive Green one via Amazon.com or ebay for about half the price it goes for in the UK.

They claim it's good to 12°C/55°F. I'm not sure I agree with that temp rating, but it's certainly got some thermal benefits.

J
Quixoticgeek
Hill Bagger

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:52 pm

My limited experience of trying to get sleep in a bivi bag just using closing is limited for a reason. Never again!!!

This was June, but on the tops (failed Cuillin attempt). To be fair, it wasn't a nice modern breathable bivi as it was 20 years ago, but it was the temperature that was the problem, and it was probably no lower than 10c or so. Not sleeping at all (and in fact the two of us who had no bags were quite close to hypothermia we think in retrospect) led directly to a lack of impetus and drive in the morning, which meant when it was drizzly we just gave up...and it only lasted an hour before clearing to a beautiful day!

Even the thinnest of sleeping bags would have made an enormous difference.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby liamando » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:54 pm

Quixoticgeek wrote:Depends what you are wearing and how warm you sleep. I would be inclined towards you being cold unless you were wearing a down jacket or similar, or it's a very hot summers night.

Adventure Medical Kits make a bag they call the "SOL Escape Bivvi" which is a breathable survival bag, made of a reflective material that is breathable. I have one, and have slept in it with just a sleeping bag liner. They are quite expensive in the UK, and the UK importer only imports the ORANGE version. But you can get the Olive Green one via Amazon.com or ebay for about half the price it goes for in the UK.

They claim it's good to 12°C/55°F. I'm not sure I agree with that temp rating, but it's certainly got some thermal benefits.

J

Think I'll stick with the Hunka mate, thanks. I don't want it just for emergencies
liamando
Stravaiging

Postby liamando » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Mal Grey wrote:My limited experience of trying to get sleep in a bivi bag just using closing is limited for a reason. Never again!!!

This was June, but on the tops (failed Cuillin attempt). To be fair, it wasn't a nice modern breathable bivi as it was 20 years ago, but it was the temperature that was the problem, and it was probably no lower than 10c or so. Not sleeping at all (and in fact the two of us who had no bags were quite close to hypothermia we think in retrospect) led directly to a lack of impetus and drive in the morning, which meant when it was drizzly we just gave up...and it only lasted an hour before clearing to a beautiful day!

Even the thinnest of sleeping bags would have made an enormous difference.

Like a 3mm woolen sleeping bag liner?
liamando
Stravaiging

Postby Quixoticgeek » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:21 pm

liamando wrote:
Think I'll stick with the Hunka mate, thanks. I don't want it just for emergencies

I use it as my bivvi bag for the summer months. I would use it in winter, but I can't fit my winter bag in it without compressing the loft too much. It's sold as an emergency item, but it's plenty durable enough to work for normal use.

J
Quixoticgeek
Hill Bagger

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:55 pm

Some years ago I tried sleeping (in a tent) in a fleece sleeping bag liner in a July heatwave. I was cold. I then bought a one-season synthetic sleeping bag: a) 'cos it weighed only 850g, b) packed very small, and c) being synthetic I could use it in a bivvy if things got damp and still stay warm. It had a "comfort" rating of 7 Centigrade. I tried it in a summer bivvy with a thermarest underneath in a Rab Storm bivvy bag and was cold. During another heatwave I then tried it with the addition of a microfleece liner, again in a tent. I was still cold. I then tried it with the liner and a set of thermals (still in a heatwave) and - finally - was warm enough to get a comfortable night's sleep. 'Nuff said.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Eskimo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:36 am

I reckon you need to give it a go a let us know how it goes, as I have the same question but don't want to be the guinea pig :lol: I recall sleeping in a survivial bag when I was in my teens with only a mat in summer and I think I coped ok back then. Much lower levels mind you and alcohol may have played a part in the good nights sleep :crazy:

My thinking, like mentioned, would be to include an insulated jacket into the mix. A synthetic one most likely for the obvious damp concerns. No way would I try it in anything other than a decent summer's night but weather permitting, a decent jacket and mat I think it might just be doable. Especially if you are a hot sleeper like I am.

I like to travel fast and light. I already take the jacket with me on most occasions so I'm only adding 500g (???) for a bivvy bag. That sounds great compred to hauling a tent and sleeping bag around.

Now to convince my other half its a good idea! :lol:
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk