walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

One for the ladies..

One for the ladies..

Postby EwaMH » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:59 pm

I'm looking for any suggestions the ladies on this site might have for good, supportive, sports bras that actually wick properly whilst hiking!

Anyone?
EwaMH

Munros:193   Corbetts:61
Grahams:17   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:11   

Re: One for the ladies..

Postby basscadet » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:43 pm

Hmm, It will be different for different girls. I used to work in the lingerie business, so have seen the wide variety of shapes and textures there are out there :shock:
For me, I use a sports bra for zumba, but I wouldnt dream of wearing one on the hill.. Sports bras are made for times you need a lot of support, which you dont really need when you are just walking, and the firm material, while it wicks, has too many layers to dry out properly, which is a problem.. Plus they are just so restrictive - like wearing a mini straightjacket :lol: I go with a bra of the thinnest, most man made fibre I can. This is my current favourite :) http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_150010138107_-1
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Silverhill » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi Ewa,
I have had crop top style sportbras in the past and whereas they were very comfortable, I found their compression properties were not helping with wicking sweat away. I now go for sport bras which resemble normal bras in the sense that they separate (and compress a bit) but with a racer back to avoid the straps creeping off your shoulders. As basscadet says, go for man-made fibres. I find mesh paneling in the sweaty areas also helps. My current ones have underwiring for support. But all in all it is very personal. Good luck! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Grahams:5   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:54 pm

North face have a bra that is supposed to wick

http://www.gearforgirls.co.uk/the-north-face-bounce-b-gone-bra/

but it's a sports bra.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:139
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:22 am

I prefer something more easily wiped clean ~

Rik in rubber#2.jpg
Waterproof Support Wear
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby sross » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:54 am

Caberfeidh wrote:I prefer something more easily wiped clean ~

Rik in rubber#2.jpg

I think it bears pointing out that Sgurr's recommendation is also reversible (perhaps this is how you are suppose to dry it out). Caberfeidh's suggestion when reversed becomes some sort of torture device, not that this should surprise anyone :crazy:

Sparky
sross
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk