walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best gloves and hat?

Best gloves and hat?

Postby chickadee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:00 pm

It was my birthday yesterday and my dad gave me some money, so amongst other things I'd like to get some proper really good gloves for going out on the hills. My old ones are from Trespass and are absolutely terrible (I got them before I'd really done any walking, so I plead ignorance). I'd like something wind-/waterproof that'll ideally do year-round (or as close to as possible for not super expensive). Happy to spend up to £50 if they're amazing, but less than that would be ideal. I've been browsing Sealskinz and wondered if anyone has experience of those?

While we're at it, any hat recommendations would be great too. I get headaches if my ears get even slightly cold in the wind so really do need something better. I use a hood if it's raining or windy but that doesn't protect my ears.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Best gloves and hat?

Postby roytheboy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:20 pm

I've just been looking into the 'gloves' issue myself, and read up a lot about the problems of waterproof gloves that don't breath well, or that pull their liners inside-out if your hands are wet - all of which I've suffered with in the past. One well-known mountaineer advocates using gloves without a membrane, that stay warm when wet, and that dry out quickly. The way I'm looking at going this winter is to use standard thinsulate/windstop/fleece gloves for when its dry, and then to carry a pair of lightweight but warm mitts for if it rains. The two could be worn together in very low temperatures where rain would fall as snow i.e. water resistant mitts would be fine. I've more or less settled on buying Buffalo Mitts (£20-£30) but have yet to find a shop that has them in stock (the sizing means that it's best to try them on, apparently). The reviews suggest that these mitts are very light yet super-warm, and showerproof but that they dry easily if very wet.
roytheboy
Munro compleatist

Postby GillC » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:52 pm

I had a pair of fleecy gloves, £4.99 from the local garage, Thinsulate,,,can honestly say,,on the average wet day, they were fab, stayed warm in the wet. Wouldn't want to be sub zero in them but a wee primaloft mit over the top worked for those situations.

Hats, theres an Under Armour water/windproof one out there,,but I usually pull my fleecy buff up at the back to overlap my tammy and hey presto,,cosy ears too, :D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby basscadet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:55 pm

if you have £50 to spend, invest it in a pair of Extremities tuff bags. They are the only truly waterproof solution. If you put them over your cheap gloves they will increase the performance substantially..
otherwise, spend your money on something sensible, and get a pair of dachsteins. I hear they do gloves these days as well as the mitts..
At the end of the day, no one pair of gloves is going to do you for every situation. I take a liner pair, and a softshell pair, even in summer. In the winter, I take substantially more pairs of different sizes and thicknesses..

I have two snugbug hats that have done me amazingly well. More snowboarder style than mountaineer, but wouldn't swap them for anything :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby jmarkb » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:34 pm

For a hat, the Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap is worth a look - waterproof, windproof, cosy and indestructible. I really like not having to put my waterproof jacket hood up in drizzle/light rain.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby chickadee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:44 pm

roytheboy wrote:I've just been looking into the 'gloves' issue myself, and read up a lot about the problems of waterproof gloves that don't breath well, or that pull their liners inside-out if your hands are wet - all of which I've suffered with in the past. One well-known mountaineer advocates using gloves without a membrane, that stay warm when wet, and that dry out quickly. The way I'm looking at going this winter is to use standard thinsulate/windstop/fleece gloves for when its dry, and then to carry a pair of lightweight but warm mitts for if it rains. The two could be worn together in very low temperatures where rain would fall as snow i.e. water resistant mitts would be fine. I've more or less settled on buying Buffalo Mitts (£20-£30) but have yet to find a shop that has them in stock (the sizing means that it's best to try them on, apparently). The reviews suggest that these mitts are very light yet super-warm, and showerproof but that they dry easily if very wet.

Yeah the liner thing was the problem with my rubbish old ones, they were useless. I'm unlikely to be out in very cold conditions (not a huge winter walker yet) but it's just the wind... my hands get really sore if the wind is biting, which it can be even when the air's OK.

GillC wrote:I had a pair of fleecy gloves, £4.99 from the local garage, Thinsulate,,,can honestly say,,on the average wet day, they were fab, stayed warm in the wet. Wouldn't want to be sub zero in them but a wee primaloft mit over the top worked for those situations.

Hats, theres an Under Armour water/windproof one out there,,but I usually pull my fleecy buff up at the back to overlap my tammy and hey presto,,cosy ears too, :D

Oh yeah, buffs, what're they like? I've seen those but wasn't sure. I did think about something like that for autumn as it might be quite sunny but my ears will still get cold up a hill (and then I get a terrible headache).

basscadet wrote:if you have £50 to spend, invest it in a pair of Extremities tuff bags. They are the only truly waterproof solution. If you put them over your cheap gloves they will increase the performance substantially..
otherwise, spend your money on something sensible, and get a pair of dachsteins. I hear they do gloves these days as well as the mitts..
At the end of the day, no one pair of gloves is going to do you for every situation. I take a liner pair, and a softshell pair, even in summer. In the winter, I take substantially more pairs of different sizes and thicknesses..

I have two snugbug hats that have done me amazingly well. More snowboarder style than mountaineer, but wouldn't swap them for anything :)

I guess a few cheaper pairs would maybe be better than one pair. I tend not to use them much in summer unless it's particularly windy, though I do still take them with me. Just want something I can use with walking poles and that aren't too cumbersome. I like mitts a lot for warmth but it's then hard for me to get stuff out of a pocket, heh.

jmarkb wrote:For a hat, the Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap is worth a look - waterproof, windproof, cosy and indestructible. I really like not having to put my waterproof jacket hood up in drizzle/light rain.

Will do, thanks! My current hat is a 'men's fishing hat' from Aldi. It's good value but very tight, which causes its own issues. All my hats are men's actually... I have a big heed.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby nathan79 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Gloves- paired up system of a pair of polar tech power stretch with a windproof pair on top. Versatile and great for all but cold, wet winter days.
hats if you want warm and dry jmarkb's Lowe Alpine mountain cap suggestion is a great one. I have an Extremities equivalent that I find too warm but great for the worst weather. Have a Sealskinz one too but I haven't tried it out yet.

Buff definititely worth buying. Think the fleecy style would do wonders for your chilly ears.

Gill, I loudly applaud you for using the term "tammy" rather than "beanie". I hare the new fangled trendy term and too many folk look at me weird when I speak of tammies.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Michael Thomson » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:27 pm

Tammy is acceptable, but Toorie is better. :D
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:51 pm

I have sealskinz. Unless you are sure the linings are attached to the outers, wet hands will tend to pull them out and it is the devil's work putting them on again. If I scramble, the wet from the rocks just forces its way through. I persist with them by being very careful when I take them off, but it is not ideal. I am contemplating getting Dachstein gloves or mitts, but I worry about rubbing them through by using a walking pole

There has been a previous review here, but things may have moved on since.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/gear-review-gloves/005511/

(If that is your hat in the avator, I think it is really nice, and was going to ask you where you got it, and now you say you want another?...I used to just wear hats customers had abandoned in my shop, a Canadian ski hat was my favourite, but now I am retired, that source is closed to me)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:04 am

Thinsulate hats and gloves are very good, and so cheap you can buy a few pairs so you can have emergency spares and/or change them when wet/dirty. For colder weather a "trapper" hat is good, the type with ear-flaps that fasten under the chin. You may look like Yosemite Sam, but you'll be nice and warm!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk