walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin 600 handheld: technical help needed please

Garmin 600 handheld: technical help needed please

Postby Technodullard » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:28 am

Please can someone help? I think I have pressed something because now, wherever I go, on my GPS screen is a thick pink direct line between me and some point on a hillside where I was about 4 weeks ago. I don't mean the tracker which tracks me as I walk. I want that. This other thing is some place I have accidentally marked and the line is always a dead straight line between me and that place. I just want to get rid of it. It could be a waymark but anyway I would like it gone.

Also, can someone please tell me how to pause tracking? I know I have seen it on the device but have searched and searched and can't find it.

I phoned Garmin and they told me to ask a friend! I email them and it takes at least a week and they don't give detailed enough instructions.
Technodullard

Re: Garmin 600 handheld: technical help needed please

Postby scoob999 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:29 am

I had that problem with the 62s what it was, is when i uploaded a route that would happen and the only way around it was to just upload a track instead of a route :? don't know if it'll help you or not but just delete any route you have on your device or only follow tracks on the device
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Technodullard » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks for that reply. Thing is, I never upload routes or tracks. Never have. I just set off and switch on 'map' and it tracks me. That's all I want from it at the moment. I'm probably too thick with techno things to understand what you mean but I appreciate your help anyway. How do I go about deleting tracks I've made? I think that may be the answer. I think if I do it in basecamp it will delete EVERY track I've ever done. That isn't what I want. I only want to delete one.
Technodullard

Postby gaffr » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Hello,
Don't know how it is with the 600 but with the map62sc you click on the track manager and then you are offered either current track or archived tracks and then enter button which gives a drop down one of which is clear current track and then option yes or no to clear.
Must admit I just enter in a few waypoints from my Memory maps on the PC and when you go out to the walk that you have saved the waypoints for, switch on, then all of the waypoints for your walk will present themselves in order of nearest etc., at the top of the list, when you press the waypoint manager button. For me this offers the best flexibility when out on the hill. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Technodullard » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:37 pm

OK, thanks. I'll try to find track manager.
Didn't understand the second bit but never mind! There's a clue in my username.
I'm grateful for the reply. Cheers.
Technodullard

Postby gaffr » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:16 am

Technodullard wrote:OK, thanks. I'll try to find track manager.
Didn't understand the second bit but never mind! There's a clue in my username.
I'm grateful for the reply. Cheers.

Yes that was not very clear in reply.
What am I trying to say.....rather than making a prepared route constructed on my Memory Map or with the software provided with the Garmin device. Instead of a route with all the 'map furniture' that comes with it I just put my curser thing onto the on-screen map for a waypoint then send it via the GPS dropdown thing to the Garmin.
With several of these Waypoints ( eg Spot heights, path junctions etc.) stored away in the device, in the waypoint manager, I have a workable route to use when on the hill.
The great thing about the Waypoint Manager is that it shuffles/sorts? the coordinates into the order nearest first.
I don't leave them in the WM as a numeric label but I edit it through WM and give it a alpha label and also add some further info in the Notes section. My 'on the table' preparation prior to a walk. :)
When I arrive at the area for the walk switch on and get into WP Manager, bring up the desired waypoint, and if required, get into map/compass/Go at the bottom of the page that has the waypoint data.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby Technodullard » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi Gaffr. Sorry, I just don't understand. The techno speak is way above my level. All I actually want is
1. to get rid of the pink line (which I think leads to a distant waypoint or waymark or some other point of reference)
and 2. to occasionally turn off the tracking that I have set it up to do because I usually want it..

I will go track manager .... though I think I have been there before and it wasn't there. Thanks for your efforts but I am sort of level 1 of this stuff and you are level 732 or something like that. I might close the post now. Thanks for your time and trouble.
Technodullard

Postby gaffr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Hello,
I am probably taking this topic one stage further than, I guess, that you wanted to.

I am a septuagenarian and certainly not very advanced along the technology trail. :) What I have tried to do with the GPS device is to use it in a very simplistic way and like yourself I wished to avoid all of the 'coloured bunting stuff' that seems to come with the setting of routes etc. on the map of the device....this really does get in the way of having a map that is readable. With just using the waypoint manger for storing waypoints all I have to deal with is a symbolic 'wee flag on the end of a pin' to mark each feature on the device map that I wish to navigate towards. :)
As you probably realize that being aged I need all the assistance I can get when out on the hill on poor weather days although I do always have both map and compass with me to complement the technology. :) Drained batteries can be a big problem.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby Technodullard » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Yes, I too prefer to keep it simple. It's very easy to touch the screen in the wrong way and save info you don't want to save. I don't bother with waypoints. I've got it how I want it, but I just don't want that pink 'stick'. Am going to a walking festival this weekend. Maybe I'll meet someone there who will just do it for me.
Thanks, gaffr.
Technodullard

Postby gaffr » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:16 am

I had the 'pink sticks' appearing (these are, I think, a very wide intrusion) on the screen of the 62sc. like you have with the 600 which as I have found out must be the latest device in the Garmin stable....it has the Glonass Russian system of satellites along with the US ones. :) I guess that will make the device more powerful.
Anyway to get rid of the Pink sticks on the screen I opened up the Basecamp software, provided as a download by Garmin, (having attempted to do so with the device buttons) opened up the internal storage for, in my case Garmin 62sc, and simply deleted (delete button X in the menu) the listed tracks held....seems to have cleared the device screen. :)
You say that your device is a touchscreen model....I am not sure that with gloved hands etc. that I would be able to handled that. :)
Must say that having the downloaded Basecamp stuff I don't use it very often now that I have the Memory Maps on the PC from which I can download my waypoints from and into the device and another point is that the maps are much clearer to view on screen when expanded/stretched to view. :D
Hope this helps....and I sure that you will bump into folks at the walking meet-up with more knowledge than I have. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby larry groo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:41 am

Another thing to check is that the "Routing" method is set to "Direct" rather than the "Hiking" setting.

You'll find this in Settings/Routing, I seem to remember the button you want is at the top of the "Routing" menu.
larry groo

Postby mmm_biscuit » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Re. the pink line: another possibility (and to add to the confusion) - it does sound to me like it is trying to route you somewhere - the magenta line being the 'line of sight' route to that point. At least, on my eTtrex 30, that's how it looks. I remember being baffled by exactly this behaviour on my first outing with my new toy. To get rid (again, for the eTrex, but shouldn't be too dissimilar for the 600), you go to the main menu, then select the 'Where to?' icon. The screen should say something like 'Currently navigating to .....' Select the 'Stop Navigation' option then return to the map. Voila! No pink line :)
mmm_biscuit
Mountain Walker

Munros:275   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk