walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Vacuum flask

Vacuum flask

Postby GoodOldNorm » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:54 pm

I have a stainless steel vacuum flask that is next to useless you can actually feel the cup which screws on the top getting warm as soon as you have filled the flask.Can anyone tell me of a good 2 cup capacity vacuum/thermos flask that will keep water hot for 8-12 hrs in winter conditions. Is it best to put the flask in a bottle jacket?
GoodOldNorm
Rock-climber

Re: Vacuum flask

Postby rgf101 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:15 pm

Are you pre-warming it? Fill with hot water, give it a minute to heat up inside, then empty it and fill with whatever you actually want in there.

I have a Thermos 500 ml stainless steel flask and have always been happy with it. You do get a little warmth where the cap screws on, but ye cannae change the laws of physics, cap'n.
rgf101

Postby doggy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:32 pm

its broken, buy an esbit, really good
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby fireman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:41 am

Try the new thermos ultimate flask. 0.9 or 0.5 litre, I've had the smaller one for a couple of month now and well impressed. Even has a protective rubber base and rubber band collar
fireman
Mountain Walker

Munros:97   Corbetts:23
Fionas:21   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:31   

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:04 pm

fireman wrote:Try the new thermos ultimate flask. 0.9 or 0.5 litre, I've had the smaller one for a couple of month now and well impressed. Even has a protective rubber base and rubber band collar

yes, these are the best i've found.
smaller one managed to survive a heavy fall (with me on top of it) on a boulder field in the cairngorms in snow with no reduction in efficiency (although a few dents)
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby DrDavid » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:38 pm

Steel flasks are pretty unbreakable but are not as good as glass due to the steel conducting heat from the main body of water to the thermal bridge of the non-vacuum lid.

Performance can be improved by preheating to start off with as much heat as possible, insulting the lid to reduce the rate of heat loss and using a larger volume flask for the gap between the kettle and the start of the route.

For a winter day trip what I do is:

preheat and fill a .5L and 1L flask, then stuff both in with my walking clothes as extra insulation.

After the standard 2hour drive to the start of the route I use the water in the .5L to make a coffee and refill it with the water from the 1L flask. While I drink my coffee I get changed into my walking gear.

Then I stuff the half full 1L flask into my street clothes so that the weak spot (the lid) is well insulated then I can have a hot tea when I get back.

The .5L flask then gets a spare winter sock put over it, leaving most bunched up covering the the lid (the weak spot), and put inside my bag.

The sock both insulates the lid and is a spare should you get a wet foot as happened last week when I discovered a small lochan under deep blanket of virgin snow :lol:
DrDavid
Munro compleatist

Postby whiteburn » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:07 am

Plenty out there to choice from BUT which ever you choose test before heading to the hills

I had a Thermos Ultimate failed to keep water hot for 4hrs, so took back to shop, the replacement has proved very good.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby BoyVertiginous » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:00 pm

DrDavid wrote:Steel flasks are pretty unbreakable but are not as good as glass due to the steel conducting heat from the main body of water to the thermal bridge of the non-vacuum lid.

Performance can be improved by preheating to start off with as much heat as possible, insulting the lid to reduce the rate of heat loss and using a larger volume flask for the gap between the kettle and the start of the route.

How far should one take this? Will routine name-calling do or should one throw in a few swear words for effect?
:wink:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk