walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Boots! Boots! Boots!....So many boots!

Boots! Boots! Boots!....So many boots!

Postby Gary Macpherson » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Looking for some advice from some seasoned walkers!

Getting back into hillwalking after a 20 year hiatus. Following hip surgery in March I decided that I wanted to get out an experience more of our fantastic country. Unsure how the hip would fare I bought a decent (but cheap!) pair of hi-tek mid boots just to see how I'd get on.

5 munros later and I've most certainly got the bug, and I'm looking to upgrade all of my gear to a higher quality.

Reading about a bit, and speaking to a few folks had led me to decide to plump for either Meindl or Scarpa - but after talking to my old man (who climbed maybe 60-70 munros in his younger days) I'm not so sure. He's at an age where he's obsessed with Which? magazine and reliably informed me that their best buy recomendations were Berghaus/Brasher or Salomon.

Anyone want to weigh in? I'd greatly appreciate any input before I go and fork out a big wad of cash!

Thanks
Gary Macpherson
Ambler

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   

Re: Boots! Boots! Boots!....So many boots!

Postby basscadet » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:53 pm

Brasher quality has gone downhill in recent years, with lots of reports of stitching rotting away. Solomans are supremely comfy, but have issues with keeping their waterproofing intact..
For me, I have gone off anything gortex lined - I have such sweaty feet that all the gortex does is keep that sweat in, and have found a gortex free pair made by Gronell in a hunting/fishing shop which are amazing for me - my feet stay dry, sweat evaporates, they weigh 400g - heaven..
It may take some searching around to find your heaven, as this is different for everyone. There are plenty of other users who would never use a boot unless there was snow on the ground, just using trail shoes, I have seen others on the hill in B2 rated boots in Summer - everyone has their own thing :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby roytheboy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:21 pm

The best advice I can give is to start by deciding if (a) you want them to have a breathable membrane sock (e.g. GTX) or not (as alluded to by basscadet), then to decide if you want solid leather (heavy and hot, but tough) or mesh and nubuk (light and more breathable, but probably won't last as long).

Next try on lots of different boots of the type you decided on, to see which ones fit you comfortably and snugly during ascents and descents. Then, and only then, should you start looking for recommendations and reviews - once you know if those particular boots suit your foot shape and required user-profile. Then you can pick the one you think is best from your short-list.

Personally, I have ended up going the popular route (after trying on countless other boots) and use Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX's as I mainly do mountain walking. They have let in a small amount of water under the toes on just one occasion, but that was only after an hour of the most torrential rain and I cannot be sure it wasn't a collection of sweat, as the Nubuck became soaked, which stops the membrane working properly. They are properly comfortable and have the ideal balance of last rigidity for what I use them for.
roytheboy
Munro compleatist

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Further to the excellent advice already, the thing to remember always is that FIT is everything. One brand may suit your feet, or might be dreadful despite being really high quality. So yes, work out the rough style of boot you're after (fabric, Gore-Tex or not, leather, suede, mesh etc), then go and try as many types on as you can. Take the socks with you that you expect to wear (I use a medium or thick wool mix sock with a thin Bridgedale liner underneath), or at least make sure the shop has decent "trying on" socks.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby roytheboy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:30 pm

...oh, and try the boots on in the afternoon as your feet swell up during the day, as they will when you walk. And if they rub at all on your heel when using the testing ramp, forget them as they won't get any better with use.
roytheboy
Munro compleatist

Postby Gary Macpherson » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:51 pm

Thanks guys. Went to the Tiso outlet in Glasgow over lunch on wednesday and tried on a selection of boots, and marauded about their testing area for a while. The Meindl Bhtuans are amongst the most comfortable things i've ever had on my feet!

Looking at something in that vein, something rigid enough to take a C1 crampon if neccesary, but can be used for general hills for the most part
Gary Macpherson
Ambler

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   

Postby Gareth Harper » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:31 am

I agree with others here - fit and comfort is everything.

Just try everything on in the shop, and maybe go to the next couple of shops. Try to go on a Monday morning or something to the stores when they are quiet.

Meindl Bhtuans? Yes I like Meindle. What about the Borneo? (on my second pair) Same as the Bhtuans I think but without the pointless (in my opinion) gore text lining and a wee bit cheaper. Talking of price, shop around and haggle.

Talking of Tiso. Was in there looking for walking shoes. Spent a bit of time trying on loads of stuff. Tried on a nice pair of Meindle shoes. Liked them very much but asked for a half size up but was told "we don't stock the half sizes" I left, ordered a half size up on line and saved myself 20 quid. Also store now seems to be laid out by brand not category. Murder. Tiso seems to be becoming more of a fashion shop than an outdoor shop.

Also Alt-berg are worth a look, half sizes and five width options!

But above all buy what feels right on yer foot.

Some folks will use a flexible crampon on 3 season boots like the Bhtuan and Borneo but I've got the Scarpa SL winter. I bought them initially to use all year round but much prefer a more flexible boot for summer walking.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jacob » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:01 pm

When choosing between Meindl and Scarpa, in my opinion Meindl is nicer to the somewhat wider feet, while Scarpa is a bit narrower. I walk on Meindls myself (Island) but tried on several Scarpas.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Gareth Harper » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Don't know if they still do but the Scarpa SL's used to come in standard and wide, I bought the wide.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby davesbikeshed » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:01 pm

Solomans are supremely comfy, but have issues with keeping their waterproofing intact..

exactly!

feet now very wet after 2yrs 3months use of my solomans, not heavy use either, previous pair were asolo that split 8 months in and were credit note under warranty by craigdon, previous asolo to those lasted 5 yrs and I still wear them on my mtb :lol:
Been asking and researching and am goin to go alt-berg when i pass the factory in a few weeks. Seems its a race to the bottom with boots, so goin to go trad, full leather.
D
davesbikeshed
Mountaineer

Munros:2   

Postby KatTai » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:43 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:Also Alt-berg are worth a look, half sizes and five width options!

Do any others do half sizes? I've bought my last few pairs of boots from Portugal, which is where I found a half-size is a much better fit for me (though it could be because it is a bit of a slimmer fit as well - which I see Alt-Berg also do). Needing new boots, I do like the look of Alt-bergs stuff on their website so will have to see if I can find some local to try but it would be handy to know if there are others that do the half sizes to check out.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby IanEzzi » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Re: Altbergs - I bought a pair of the Tethera, they've lived up to their promise so far, absolutely waterproof. Not as comfortable as the Scarpa Kailash they replaced but then the Scarpas only lasted two years and leaked heavily for about half that time...

Craigdon Mountain Sports stock Altbergs and they now have a branch in Edinburgh, looked great when I was in.
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby davesbikeshed » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:45 am

lived up to their promise so far

good to hear, thanks for the info. Saw that craidon had opened in edinburgh. I like them in the way that I like other small and (ish) businesses.
davesbikeshed
Mountaineer

Munros:2   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:43 pm

I'm an Altberg fan too, the only boots I have ever had that really fit!
they are British as well despite the alpine sounding name.
They make a lot of boots for the military and Police
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby hooter2014 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:24 pm

I can vouch for an Altberg work boot, can only hope the leisure boots are as good. Wear them (Peacekeeprs P1 ex wide) for at least 10 hrs per work day and they are comfy and certainly water resistant.
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk