walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gloves!

Gloves!

Postby Walk-n-Roller » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:28 pm

Getting to that time of year, and my current system of thin 'base layer' gloves and an apparently 'waterproof' Trek Mate pair is just not going to work. Hands were wet and freezing last week.

What gloves are good? Waterproof & warm?

Cheers :)
Walk-n-Roller
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:11

Re: Gloves!

Postby roytheboy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:05 am

Buffalo Mitts. Not waterproof, but very warm even when wet. They are also light and dry quickly.
roytheboy
Munro compleatist

Postby Walk-n-Roller » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:23 am

roytheboy wrote:Buffalo Mitts. Not waterproof, but very warm even when wet. They are also light and dry quickly.

Had a look, they won't work, look great for sitting around on a freezing day \ walking low....Need something I can hold an ice axe with.
Walk-n-Roller
Munro compleatist

Postby whiteburn » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:59 pm

In winter I'll carry liner gloves, windstopper gloves, thermal fleeces gloves + Extremities tuff bags over mitts.
Mix & match to suit temperature/ wind/ rain.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby fireman » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:51 pm

I wouldn't go past Mountain Equipment G2 Alpine gloves, warm and waterproof, would advise sizing up mind you
fireman
Mountain Walker

Munros:97   Corbetts:23
Fionas:21   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:31   

Postby garyoppolis » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:41 pm

One word: neoprene.
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Walk-n-Roller » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:57 am

fireman wrote:I wouldn't go past Mountain Equipment G2 Alpine gloves, warm and waterproof, would advise sizing up mind you

Looked them up expecting to see £80 price tags....they look great value. Thanks, might be a winner.
Walk-n-Roller
Munro compleatist

Postby tenohfive » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:01 pm

Mitts are warmer than gloves due to the design - less surface area.

Waterproof and warm don't tend to go together, better to just specify the latter.
My latest additions are the Montane Prism Gloves and Mitts. Stupidly light, water resistant, Primaloft insulation (which - compressing down small - means you actually get some dexterity.

I use them loads now. With a liner underneath I think I'll be sorted down to sub zero temps.

But I also rate my Montane Extreme mitts - heavy, but hardwearing, very warm and very comfortable.
And for dry (or snow) don't underestimate Dachstein mitts - old design, brilliant function.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby rgf101 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:41 pm

Amazon have some Sealskins on a Lightning Deal at the moment - £17 a pair (select a size to get the price)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M020G2I
rgf101

Postby tenohfive » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:45 pm

Walk-n-Roller wrote:
fireman wrote:I wouldn't go past Mountain Equipment G2 Alpine gloves, warm and waterproof, would advise sizing up mind you

Looked them up expecting to see £80 price tags....they look great value. Thanks, might be a winner.

Worth being aware - they aren't waterproof. They're softshell gloves, so only water resistant. And in my experience softshell gloves don't tend to try out that quickly (but I've no experience of those gloves themselves.)
Not a major thing as I said above, just making sure you know.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby gman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:16 pm

I've got a pair of ME Guide gloves that have stood up to a few winters, usually have powerstretch gloves for the walk in then change to the Guides higher up. I keep a spare pair of Montane mitts in the pack for emergencies as gloves are easy to lose and will get trashed on winter routes. Bought some in Decathlon today since they were 22 quid, waterproof with a membrane and leather on the palms:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/cascade-glove-id_8331057.html
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:26 pm

tenohfive wrote:My latest additions are the Montane Prism Gloves and Mitts. Stupidly light, water resistant, Primaloft insulation (which - compressing down small - means you actually get some dexterity.

I recently bought some of those gloves. They're amazing - so warm and yet they compress small enough to fit in a back pocket. My only issue is I don't like scrambling in them because they don't give me a very positive grip on any surface - but that's a real grouch because the vast majority of gloves do that, I only feel like these ought not to because they're so thin.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Quixoticgeek » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:33 pm

Was in Cotswolds today looking at ME Randonee gloves (paired with a liner). How would you compare the G2 Alpine to the Randonee?

Thanks

J
Quixoticgeek
Hill Bagger

Postby fireman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:19 pm

Not sure about ME Rondonee gloves, but I do have a pair of ME Assault gloves - similar to Rondonee - and I think I've only wore them once in the winter as I find them too warm, but everybody is different, still prefer the G2 gloves
fireman
Mountain Walker

Munros:97   Corbetts:23
Fionas:21   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:31   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk