walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Walking Poles

Walking Poles

Postby WelshDevil » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi all im looking at a pair of walking poles but there are so many to choose from. Ive taken a look at the Leki Trail AS (£54) or the Leki Albula (£59) both as a pair. Any advice or recommendations would be highly appreciated
WelshDevil
Mountain Walker

Re: Walking Poles

Postby monarchming » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:40 am

Hi and I can thoroughly recommend Mountainking Supertrekker poles.
I have used them for many years on Munros all year round.
They are made in the UK and are light and well priced. :thumbup:
monarchming
Mountain Walker

Munros:158   

Postby brpro26 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Always think with Leki your paying for the name. Take a wee look at Karrimor carbon fibre anti shock poles, only about £35 from Sports direct and you won't go far wrong with them. Good quick flick locking system.
brpro26

Munros:202   Corbetts:5
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby WelshDevil » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:44 pm

So many decisions :o
WelshDevil
Mountain Walker

Postby WelshDevil » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Had a play with some BD Trail poles today. Not to fussed on them. Seemed to shake/vibrate when planting them. Is this normal or would AS stop this? Or is it because they were at the lower end of the quality list???
WelshDevil
Mountain Walker

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:06 am

The make is less important than the materials. IMHO you want carbon fibre (lightweight); flick-lock over twist-lock (easier to operate with cold or gloved hands and less likely to freeze up); extended grips (again for thermal reasons if having to handle beneath the main grip). I recently purchased two pairs of Columbus poles through sportspursuit.com for my parents for the reasons above (£35/pair). My own are Leki and offer the same features, were a gift (£70) and usually remain firmly strapped to my pack!
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:178   Corbetts:64
Grahams:23   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:39 am

I've never used carbon fibre poles so can't comment on them. Too concerned they'd break.
I use Leki Sherpa XL which have served well.
I would go for something with speed locks rather than twist. I think antishock simply adds weight.
One advantage of the Leki poles is that you can buy replacement sections for them - not sure that is true for other brands (though I haven't looked into that, admittedly)
weaselmaster
Wanderer

Munros:203   Corbetts:157
Grahams:60   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:163   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:58 am

weaselmaster wrote:I've never used carbon fibre poles so can't comment on them. Too concerned they'd break.
I would go for something with speed locks rather than twist. I think antishock simply adds weight.
One advantage of the Leki poles is that you can buy replacement sections for them - not sure that is true for other brands (though I haven't looked into that, admittedly)

I have just looked at the Leki Micro Vario Carbons - they appeal because they fold down really small, useful for putting into the sac when scrambling. Amazon doing them for £41 off at the moment
weaselmaster
Wanderer

Munros:203   Corbetts:157
Grahams:60   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:163   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   

Postby WelshDevil » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:57 pm

weaselmaster wrote:
weaselmaster wrote:I've never used carbon fibre poles so can't comment on them. Too concerned they'd break.

I have just looked at the Leki Micro Vario Carbons - they appeal because they fold down really small, useful for putting into the sac when scrambling. Amazon doing them for £41 off at the moment

Thanks for info but a bit much over what im willing to spend on my first pair
WelshDevil
Mountain Walker

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:44 am

Caberfeidh
Mountaineer

Postby roytheboy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:18 pm

We use the excellent Karrimor X-Lite Carbon Walking Poles (@190g) from Sports Direct or Field & Track, costing around £25 a pair - amazing value and so very light and strong. My girlfriend and I each have a pair and have used them most weekends for a couple of years without any problems.
roytheboy
Mountain Walker

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk