walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

OS Map Subscriptions

OS Map Subscriptions

Postby Technispark » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:58 pm

I see it is now possible to pay as little as £18 per year to access all the OS maps. Has anyone done this? It seems too good to be true.
Can I access these rented maps via a Garmin GPS? Or do I have to buy the Garmin OS Mapping chip.
None of the GPS retailers I have spoken to seem to know the answers. :shock:
Technispark
Munro compleatist

Re: OS Map Subscriptions

Postby basscadet » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:55 pm

I think the subscription only gives access to online maps - so you can view online, and print off maps to your hearts content.. I fail to see how this is better than just looking at bing maps.. :roll:
No good for Garmins I'm afraid, as you do not actually own the files, and even if you did, and you put them on a mini SD card, they would probably be the wrong file types.. :?
Keep checking ebay, I got my map SD card off there for a few quid :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby rgf101 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:22 pm

From https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-maps-subscription-12-months.html

Use your subscription with the OS Maps app to download any section of map to your iOS (Apple) or Android device for use outdoors, even without a data connection. View your location and planned route or record your travels with the built-in GPS functions.

That's £19.99 for a year. Anyone used the OS Maps app? It lists something called 'snap to path' for route creation in National Parks, which sounds kind of nifty.

Seems a decent deal, with the usual 'don't rely on anything with batteries' caveat.
rgf101

Postby pjm1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:47 pm

I use it to print off the maps - I find it easier to align sections than with Bing. And you can upload your GPX route to it and overlay onto the OS map. Not a massive draw if you're just following a WH route or similar but if you have sketched out your own route it can be quite handy.

I think the price is about right - much more and it wouldn't be worth it, but it's handy so for a couple of quid a month, it feels decent value.
pjm1
Rambler

Munros:66   

Postby garyoppolis » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:12 pm

I've used it for almost two years - great value. 1 or 2 A4 sheets are much handier than a full size map.

Don't know about the GPSs though.
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:14 pm

I use it too, just to print out A4 sheets.

I don't use GPS really, well never any more, and am normally happy to buy a proper OS or Harvey's map for a new area, but now if I'm just off for the weekend I print them off. Also been useful for canoeing, where I only need the line of the river and a few km either side, so don't need to buy a 40km square bit of paper for a 40 x 2km strip...just print out sections that overlap and laminate to make waterproof.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Yoke » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:12 pm

Just paid my subscription and after a couple of hours playing with the maps I have to say I am impressed with it,

By the way I am using Google browser on a Linux mint 17.3 O/S, yet to try Firefox but I dont anticipate any probs
Yoke
Scrambler

Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:53   

Postby Outdoors Father » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:44 pm

Been using it for a few months now and I think it is a really good tool. they seem to be working hard on getting it improved every day. I use to do trip planning, create gpx file for my GPS watch and print maps in various scales for any trip (I like mixed scales for various needs).

Definitely recommend it.
Outdoors Father
Scrambler

Postby Ulvbob » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi
I got 12 months subscription with £8 tesco clubcard points, do the same every year, got to be a bargain at that price! I print the maps double sided on toughprint waterproof paper, no need for a map case. I like that I can print the maps larger than the scale size, just the job for my old eyes.
Ulvbob

Re: OS Map Subscriptions - gps recommendations please!

Postby paul2610 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:55 pm

I usually use the print off thing for day routes but have seen some people mention on this thread something about adding the GPX file to a devise, I assume and hope that they can take it with them, shows the route on a map and does not need internet connection.
my question is, if its possible to have this on a tablet of some sort, unless their is gps devises that have similar wide displays. Any help/advise on this and apps or whatever may be needed would be appreciated as I planning a multi day trip later this year in Scotland and don't really want to carry around heaps of A3 print off's.

cheers

Paul
paul2610
Hill Bagger

Postby rgf101 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:51 pm

You could use an app like Viewranger on a smartphone or tablet. As long as you've got the maps saved on your device you don't need an Internet connection. And the device needs to have GPS so it can figure out where you are.

The trouble is that you can't really rely on an electronic device alone. Batteries run out (and in very cold weather they can basically shut down) and a knock or fall into a stream leaves you lost. All advice is to have a map and compass with you, and know how to use them.
rgf101

Postby tenohfive » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:42 am

Absolutely, but MRT's have been using Viewranger for years so it's not a bad backup.

Just to clarify though - I don't think the OS maps subscription works with Viewranger, you have to buy VR maps separately.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby nymeria meliae » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:49 am

I am not allowed to post links yet on this forum but
you can get 3 months free subscription to OS Maps

By adding /shop/jennings to the ordnance survey website - will allow you to try it before you buy it.
nymeria meliae

Hewitts:10

Postby petersclan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:53 pm

I love maps and have paper versions of the areas I visit regularly. However for some one off visits i don't need a full map and this is where my OS subscription is a real moneysaver....... if I need a hard copy for a walk I simply print off the relevant bit. The real bonus though is that i can plan and plot a route on the OS site, save it, then export the gpx file to my laptop. From there it's the usual simple procedure to send it to my Garmin GPSMAP64 ..... on which I have OS 50K mapping preloaded .....and I'm ready for navigating.
Hope this helps
petersclan
Mountaineer

Postby tenohfive » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:27 am

petersclan wrote:The real bonus though is that i can plan and plot a route on the OS site, save it, then export the gpx file to my laptop. From there it's the usual simple procedure to send it to my Garmin GPSMAP64 ..... on which I have OS 50K mapping preloaded .....and I'm ready for navigating.
Hope this helps

You realise that the GPS Planner in the top right corner of this website does the same thing for free, right?

Not knocking the OS subscription service (in fact I'm tempted now) - just pointing out that that last part is something many WH'ers use a lot.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk