walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Hiking watches

Hiking watches

Postby Charlietrees » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi All, I'm in the market for a new watch for the hills/work as a surveyor. I'm quite open with what features it has. My top feature list are in descending order;
Compass, barometer, altitude
Battery life - seen many people on this hills with a gps watch that has ran out of battery !
GPS
Type of battery
Bluetooth etc
Heart rate monitor.

I wondered what you guys have/ think of them?

Thanks
Charlietrees
Rock-climber

Re: Hiking watches

Postby ptc* » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:55 pm

I have a Garmin Fenix which is a few years old now, has been a through two hot washes in the machine and is still doing well.
I don't take it into the hills any more, battery lasts only a couple of days with regular GPS use so I went back to a regular-style mountain watch without electronics but the Fenix is great for my woodland ranger activities. I walk a deer fence in the hills and have to log damage etc and the Fenix is perfect for that, very accurate.
ptc*

Postby Charlietrees » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:33 pm

That sounds excellent and what I need one for ! It's a toss up between garmin and suunto :/
Charlietrees
Rock-climber

Postby Nigels3011 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:16 pm

I have a Suunto Altimax. Only has Altitude, Barimetric pressure and temp. I was always concerned with battery power in GPSs for walkers so never bothered with one. And back in the 90s the electronic compasses in wrist watches weren't regarded for their accuracy so I stuck with my trusty Silva. The Suunto is still going strong after nearly twenty years so it doesn't owe me anything.
Nigels3011
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:45
Wainwrights:37   Islands:3

Postby Charlietrees » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:31 pm

Nigels3011 wrote:I have a Suunto Altimax. Only has Altitude, Barimetric pressure and temp. I was always concerned with battery power in GPSs for walkers so never bothered with one. And back in the 90s the electronic compasses in wrist watches weren't regarded for their accuracy so I stuck with my trusty Silva. The Suunto is still going strong after nearly twenty years so it doesn't owe me anything.

How long does the battery last on it ? The reviews are so varied.
I have an old Garmin etreck gps. I don't use it a great deal, mainly work and tracking routes when the weathers dodgy. I wondering if having it on your wrist will make me use the function more.
Charlietrees
Rock-climber

Postby Nigels3011 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Charlietrees wrote:
Nigels3011 wrote:I have a Suunto Altimax. Only has Altitude, Barimetric pressure and temp. I was always concerned with battery power in GPSs for walkers so never bothered with one. And back in the 90s the electronic compasses in wrist watches weren't regarded for their accuracy so I stuck with my trusty Silva. The Suunto is still going strong after nearly twenty years so it doesn't owe me anything.

How long does the battery last on it ? The reviews are so varied.
I have an old Garmin etreck gps. I don't use it a great deal, mainly work and tracking routes when the weathers dodgy. I wondering if having it on your wrist will make me use the function more.

Well, it doesn't transmit and only uses pressure for the altimeter. I'd say batteries last as long as any normal LCD digital watch. Or certainly long enough not to be an issue. Having said that I don't get into the hills much these days and don't wear it 90% of the time (don't wear a watch at all) so its not having to react to altitude/pressure changes much. Don't know if that effects battery life of a barometric pressure watch.
Nigels3011
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:45
Wainwrights:37   Islands:3

Postby Fiona Reid » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:52 pm

I have a Suunto Vector, altimeter, compass etc but no GPS. I don't use the compass as a regular one is much better. The battery lasts 12 months on average.

I also have a garmin forerunner 610 with hrm and GPS that I use for running. That will last 7 or 8 hours with both hrm and GPS recording so not great for hillwalking. If you didn't use the hrm and just used the GPS then I imagine it would last longer.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Outdoors Father » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:53 pm

Been using the Garmin Fenix 2 for a few months now and I enjoy it. As PTC said, battery won't last more then a couple of days, but I find the features excellent and I love doing faster navigation with pre-uploaded gpx files (saves the need for a handheld GPS).

Also came with a HRM that is excellent for runs and cycling too. You can pick them for 50% off easily now with the Fenix 3 and 4 already out.
Outdoors Father
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk