walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin Etrex Touch 35 Birdseye select

Garmin Etrex Touch 35 Birdseye select

Postby Emmanuelle » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:34 pm

HELP! On an impulse I bought this GPS unit back in August and I am completely baffled by it. :lol:

I don't know how to interpret what I think are grid references - which I found completely by chance. For instance at the moment, in my garden in Falkirk I get NS88612. Am I missing something? Shouldn't I get a 6th digit?

Thankfully I still use a map and compass so the GPS is just for an emergency or confirm where I am in a whiteout.

Emmanuelle
Emmanuelle
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:4   
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Garmin Etrex Touch 35 Birdseye select

Postby gaffr » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:28 pm

I should have expected a second group of 5 digits to let you have the complete 10 digit map reference.
say NS88612 which should be the easting and the other, the northing, perhaps commencing 88 +3more, 89 +3more, 90 +3more or whatever to get you the full 10 digit reference.
With my Garmin put the curser arrow thing on the symbol, press mark, then the ten digit reference will be entered into the waypoints file....read off or use etc.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:26 am

The NS looks right for where you are but any grid ref should be an even number for starters. You may need to go into setup and then either Position Format and/or Map datum and you'll be looking for British National grid or something along those lines. :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby TerryJozzie » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:25 pm

I have the opposite problem to what everyone else has. I have the 8 digit grid references from my map, but wish to create a track on my Garmin eTrex 22X GPS, but the format on screen has 20 or so digits in 2 lines. I get that the 55G is my map number but what the hell are all the other numbers that are to be put in? The hike is 84km over 7 days and i want to put in the GR of the overnight stops.
TerryJozzie
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk