walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Jacket

Jacket

Postby steven collow » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi I'm looking for advice on a jacket for this year looking for something that's light weight so far the Rab hybrid down has stood out to me however I remember someone saying to avoid down jackets. What's peoples views on here ?

PS it doesn't have to be Rab if there's better out there for the money then let me know its just Go Outdoors had the Rab at £130 at the moment.

Thanks in advance
steven collow
Mountaineer

Munros:1   

Re: Jacket

Postby prog99 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:55 pm

Rather than ask opinions on what Go have on sale what do you want this jacket to do?

Might help a bit.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Teut » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:00 am

Probably not of much use, but I remembered from this video that down jackets will absorb moisture from the environment much more easily than a synthetic. So in our wet climes a synthetic would absorb less and provide the best amount of insulation. Of course if your in a dry or cold environ then a down jacket is the best choice.

Teut
Scrambler

Postby Nigels3011 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Like anybody else I can only comment on what I have. With a trip to Norway looming I bought a Sherpa Shankar that was sufficiently warm but not so bulky that it couldn't be worn under my Paramo jacket. Its a synthetic insulated jacket and did the job. I got it for £95 at my local independent outdoor store.
http://www.sherpaadventuregear.co.uk/mens-c1/sherpa-shankar-jacket-black-p522
Nigels3011
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:45
Wainwrights:37   Islands:3

Postby tenohfive » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:12 pm

There are hundreds of different insulated jackets available. Some are direct competitors, others do different jobs, all make different compromises to meet their intended target audiences needs. I own three different insulated jackets with various filling types (down/Primaloft/proprietary insulation) and all do different jobs equally well.

So before we start saying,

"This jacket is good,"
and,
"That jacket is cheap,"

Perhaps we should wait for the OP to respond with some information:

What activity will the jacket be used for?
In what intended season will it be used?
Where will it be used?
How badly does he feel the cold?
Any desirable features?
Budget?
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby steven collow » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:57 pm

Hi thanks for replies I'm looking at doing some Bens, Munro's and long walks and trails, I do feel the cold (looking for good base layers as well) so budget wise I'm happy to pay more for better quality if needed. The jacked doesn't have to be Rab it's just I've seen Rab is a popular make by the amount of people I've passed wearing this makes me believe it is a quality product.

Season wise as I have no experience in the winter so until then I'm a fair weather walker.

Feature wise just looking for it to keep me warm and dry be lightweight allow good movement not restrictive.

Still undecided between down and synthetic however leaning towards synthetic now

Again thanks for all the advice
steven collow
Mountaineer

Munros:1   

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:19 pm

I can highly recommend the Rab Inferno Basecamp. I was feeling the cold with my previous windproof fleece type jackets so went for this one.
It is synthetic but is warm as toast without bulk. Pockets are superb too, with hand pockets, two internal and another two external at chest level. The hood can be used with a helmet but I don't, but it has a drawcord which pulls it in very snug.

I've only used it once on a inters walk, and had been concerned it would be too warm when active, but on a sunny but very windy day with severe windchill, I was very cosy.

Not sure if its still made and it was available for £130, although usual price was about £190, so not cheap, but as far as I'm concerned worth it :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk