walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Sleeping Bags

Sleeping Bags

Postby Borderhugh » Wed May 18, 2016 8:25 am

Looking for suggestions on sleeping bags. Ideally 3-4 season, not too heavy and compact. Needs to be able to cope with -5 to -10.
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Re: Sleeping Bags

Postby Iainm » Wed May 18, 2016 9:28 am

Have you looked at Alpkit?

I have an Alpkit bag that is rated to -5C (limit) which I have been using year round, I'm really happy with it and it's been warm enough in winter for me, but the urge to collect gear has recently had me considering a new bag specifically for winter.

I have been looking at the alpine dream 700, I haven't compared the specs/price with other options yet.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/alpinedream-700

It's out of stock at the moment, so not much use if you need something urgently.
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Postby whiteburn » Wed May 18, 2016 11:04 am

If the budget is reasonable I would look at the Cumulus range, the higher grade down means that they pack smaller than say the Alpkit bags & are lighter, delivery from Poland is around a week (DHL), specifically:

Cumulus LiteLine 400; -4C, 755g; http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/lite-line-400?gid=61&vid=6

Cumulus Panyam 450; -6C, 835g; http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/panyam-450?gid=59&vid=6

Cumulus Panyam 600; -13C, 1000g; http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/panyam-600?gid=59&vid=6
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby FromDownSouth » Wed May 18, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Hugh,

An alternative to full sleeping bags is the quilt.

The idea behind them is that when you consider that the back of the sleeping bag is compressed due to lying on it and offers no insulation, then why have such a reverse and not just remove it? Saves on weight and cost ultimately.

These guys from US have excellent reviews from US thru hikers giving great warmth for less weight.

Aarrggh! As a "new user" I'm prohibited from posting the URL?!? WT heck :crazy:

Search for "enlightened equipment" using your favourite search engine!

For example, their "Revelation" quilt filled with 900 fill water repellent down for regular 6ft length and 54" width weighs is rated to -12c and weights just 588 grams.

Yes under 600 grams!

Cost is also quoted at £255.89 (ex. shipping and potential import taxes one assumes) which is comparable/cheaper for similar rated bags.
FromDownSouth
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Happy so far with a Mountain Equipment Xero 350 - think it has been updated though. Weighs a little over 700gr with sleepzone down to -5. Find it OK for April - September incl summit camps. Generally also use a "silk" liner (very light and cheap from ebay) which adds a little warmth and keeps it clean inside with very little extra weight - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby berenos » Wed May 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Difficult one, as much depends on budget, weight limit and how warm you sleep.
I have a Mammut Winter UL Sphere (750 grams of down) and it has kept me really warm summit camping in true winter conditions (-8 Celcius at night, 1100 grams for XL version). I chose this one as I found it for less than half price, otherwise rather than other options such as the rab Neutrino 600 or 800. For non-winter conditions I'd guess that a Rab neutrino 400 (or equivalent) would suffice for summit camping (which is all I do), which means less weight (80 grams for regular length version) and more compactness.
berenos
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed May 18, 2016 5:05 pm

FromDownSouth wrote:Hi Hugh, An alternative to full sleeping bags is the quilt. The idea behind them is that when you consider that the back of the sleeping bag is compressed due to lying on it and offers no insulation, then why have such a reverse and not just remove it? Saves on weight and cost ultimately. These guys from US have excellent reviews from US thru hikers giving great warmth for less weight.
Aarrggh! As a "new user" I'm prohibited from posting the URL?!? WT heck :crazy: Search for "enlightened equipment" using your favourite search engine! For example, their "Revelation" quilt filled with 900 fill water repellent down for regular 6ft length and 54" width weighs is rated to -12c and weights just 588 grams. Yes under 600 grams! Cost is also quoted at £255.89 (ex. shipping and potential import taxes one assumes) which is comparable/cheaper for similar rated bags.

That sounds ridiculous. Are you by any chance a quilt salesman? A Snugpak 3 Season bag with synthetic fill is great for Scotland, if the weather is chilly wear your fleece and put your coat over the top of you. It cost about £70, and has lasted me for years. And a foam rollmat is about a fiver. For camping in winter I put the Snugpak inside a Buffalo 4-season outer.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Iainm » Thu May 19, 2016 1:55 am

whiteburn wrote:If the budget is reasonable I would look at the Cumulus range, the higher grade down means that they pack smaller than say the Alpkit bags & are lighter, delivery from Poland is around a week (DHL), specifically:

Cumulus LiteLine 400; -4C, 755g; http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/lite-line-400?gid=61&vid=6

Cumulus Panyam 450; -6C, 835g; http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/panyam-450?gid=59&vid=6

Cumulus Panyam 600; -13C, 1000g; http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/panyam-600?gid=59&vid=6

I hadn't heard of this company before, so I took a look at their site. They have a nice range, although weight vs temp rating is very similar to Alpkit in all except Alpkits cheapest range and Cumulus seems a bit pricier after rough conversion from euros.

I'm adding the Panyam 600 (-13c, 1000g, £235ish) to my list of possibles along with the alpine dream 700 (-17c, 1200g, £200).
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Postby FromDownSouth » Thu May 19, 2016 9:30 am

Caberfeidh wrote:That sounds ridiculous. Are you by any chance a quilt salesman? A Snugpak 3 Season bag with synthetic fill is great for Scotland, if the weather is chilly wear your fleece and put your coat over the top of you. It cost about £70, and has lasted me for years. And a foam rollmat is about a fiver. For camping in winter I put the Snugpak inside a Buffalo 4-season outer.

Lol! Nope, just sharing information.

The post was asking about -12c and this company is something that I have on my radar and thought that it fit the bill on what was being asked. It is rated to -12c and is lighter to carry than the traditional bags that have also been put forward in the other posts.

Just sharing the info man, just sharing the info 8)
FromDownSouth
Mountaineer

Postby FromDownSouth » Thu May 19, 2016 9:52 am

FromDownSouth wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:That sounds ridiculous. Are you by any chance a quilt salesman? A Snugpak 3 Season bag with synthetic fill is great for Scotland, if the weather is chilly wear your fleece and put your coat over the top of you. It cost about £70, and has lasted me for years. And a foam rollmat is about a fiver. For camping in winter I put the Snugpak inside a Buffalo 4-season outer.

Comparing against the other post for Cumulus Panyam 600, the quilt is similar temp rated, a similar price (or less if you reduce the down fill) but is approx. 40% less weight.

When out walking I look at lugging as little around as I can.

My preference is to carry just a mat and this quilt (two items) versus carrying a heavier sleeping bag, a sleeping mat with little R value, then an additional outer plus then still wear clothes to go to sleep.

So why ridiculous?

Surely not because of cost as it similar to other quoted sleeping bags. Surely not weight as it weighs less than other quoted sleeping bags. Surely not because of needing to carry additional items so that I can get a warm sleep?

Just putting forward something that I thought fit the bill of the post's question and may be of interest to others, not challenging the traditional methods ;)
FromDownSouth
Mountaineer

Postby copacetic » Thu May 19, 2016 1:01 pm

I recently replaced my old Alpkit Pipedream 600 with an Alpine Dream 700 and find it a significant upgrade.. Was out in below zero temps at the weekend in relative comfort. I'm a very cold sleeper in comparison with my partner, who is happy in the older Pipedream bag. The Alpine Dream seems better made, is a slightly different cut and tips the scales at around 1100g. Good value compared to the more major brands, although from IainM's post it appears their supply problems aren't yet a thing of the past.. I actually visited their factory shop as I was down that way, and found them a friendly enthusiastic bunch.

I find the temp ratings on bags slightly specious as your comfort will depend as much on the mat underneath you and what you wear inside the bag - wearing Icebreaker merino makes a huge difference to me, as does having a mat with a decent R-value. Think of it as a system - which for me also includes eating something hot before getting my head down. A wee dram or two is of course part of the system!
copacetic
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:7   

Postby prog99 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:35 pm

copacetic wrote:I recently replaced my old Alpkit Pipedream 600 with an Alpine Dream 700

I struggle along with a pipedream 400... fine in summer but in winter even indoors you need all your layers on!
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Iainm » Thu May 19, 2016 9:39 pm

prog99 wrote:
copacetic wrote:I recently replaced my old Alpkit Pipedream 600 with an Alpine Dream 700

I struggle along with a pipedream 400... fine in summer but in winter even indoors you need all your layers on!

I must sleep very warm then. I have the old model pipedream 400 and it has been ok for me in winter. I use a warm liner, thermarest xtherm mat and sleep in merino base layers in winter and this has been fine for me down to around -6c. I actually find this bag too warm and have to sleep with it open in spring/summer.
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk