walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Which waterproof boots do I buy

Which waterproof boots do I buy

Postby Brodier54 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi folks, here looking for advice again since you were all so helpful last time :D. After going up sgurr an utha on the west coast a few weeks ago and getting my cheap karrimor boots absolutely waterlogged I've decided it's time to invest in something decent. So I was looking for a 3 season boot that is comfortable and will deal with a hit of water. Could spend 150 quid as an absolute maximum but hoping for a good deal.

So far I have looked at the berghaus explorer trek plus gtx, salomon quest 4D 2 and the scarpa Nangpa la seem to be going for 99 at tiso which could be a good deal.

Any suggestions and advice much appreciated :)
Brodier54
Munro compleatist

Munros:109   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Which waterproof boots do I buy

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:45 pm

Brodier54 wrote:Hi folks, here looking for advice again since you were all so helpful last time :D. After going up sgurr an utha on the west coast a few weeks ago and getting my cheap karrimor boots absolutely waterlogged I've decided it's time to invest in something decent. So I was looking for a 3 season boot that is comfortable and will deal with a hit of water. Could spend 150 quid as an absolute maximum but hoping for a good deal. So far I have looked at the berghaus explorer trek plus gtx, salomon quest 4D 2 and the scarpa Nangpa la seem to be going for 99 at tiso which could be a good deal. Any suggestions and advice much appreciated :)

Waterproof? Thigh-length rubber fishermen's waders. Available in any colour you like, so long as it's green.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Skyelines » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:20 pm

When it comes to footwear the only thing that matters is comfort and fit.

My criteria after that are Vibram sole and some sort of waterproof lining, who makes them is largely irrelevant as long as they look well made.

Just because someone recommends a particular boot doesn't make it right for you, their feet are not the same as yours so why would the boot be suitable.

The only way to make the choice is try them on.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Mars bars » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:58 am

Brodier54 wrote:Hi folks, here looking for advice again since you were all so helpful last time :D. After going up sgurr an utha on the west coast a few weeks ago and getting my cheap karrimor boots absolutely waterlogged I've decided it's time to invest in something decent. So I was looking for a 3 season boot that is comfortable and will deal with a hit of water. Could spend 150 quid as an absolute maximum but hoping for a good deal.

So far I have looked at the berghaus explorer trek plus gtx, salomon quest 4D 2 and the scarpa Nangpa la seem to be going for 99 at tiso which could be a good deal.

Any suggestions and advice much appreciated :)

Hello

Recently after taking on some of the longer days out and getting more into hill walking decided to go get a pair of decent boots as said above what I got might not be right for your feet but myself and my partner went to Cotswold where they measured up our feet gave us some suggestions and are both really happy with our new boots! Check them out they were so helpful as probably any store would be!
Mars bars

Munros:37   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Brodier54 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi again folks, thanks for the input. Not too sure about the fisherman's waders though :lol:

Thanks for the general advice skyelines I'll definitely make sure I try on a bunch of different pairs and see what fits me best. I'll need to pop into cotswolds when I'm next down there as well Mars Bars. I could do with getting my funny shaped feet measured :lol: .

If anyone else feels like Chipping in I'd be curious to hear about any specific boots they particularly like. Obviously taking into account it's a fairly subjective thing. It would just be nice to know a few pairs that are worth trying.
Brodier54
Munro compleatist

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:33 pm

I've been using Meindl Bhutans for the last couple of years and very comfy and dry (Leather). I wore these straight from the box and did a 12 hour day fine although some folk have had terrible trouble with their feet. Hence the advice its down to fit and specifically your feet.
I had a pair of Salomon Quest before and they were without doubt the comfiest ever but didn't keep my feet dry after a few months but I've yet to have any fabric gore tex lined boot to stay dry through its life.

I've just bought a new pair of Salomons from these, good prices https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mounta ... lsrc=aw.ds

Salomon Quest 4D are the ones I got. Salomon come with a 2 year warranty and mine were returned at the end of this as the sole was coming off, full refund from Go Outdoors so cant complain :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Brodier54 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:36 pm

cheers for the suggestions spiderwebb, I quite like the look of the meindl's so ill have to see if I can get my feet in a pair. Awfully pricey though :shock: , the warranty on the salomons sounds quite appealing too so that's another point for them.
Brodier54
Munro compleatist

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:14 pm

Go to a decent shop, get your feet measured and fitted. I find Meindls waaaaay to wide for me and choose Zamberlans instead for that reason and that reason alone. If it's waterproof you're after I'd go for leather boots with a GoreTex lining but as for make and model you just need to try some on. Decent shops will let you exchange after a week if you haven't worn them outdoors, so wear them all day every day, run up and down stairs in them, kick walls with them and only keep them if you're 100% happy. There is NOTHING worse than getting halfway through a day's walking and realising you're going to end the day with a blister. (Cue replies about "what about a zillion midges...", no, no, nothing is worse than boots that don't fit and you won't persuade me otherwise :) )
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:38 pm

Plenty of tips above about getting boots that are right for you and fit you. Re "waterproofness" - I'm a bit old fashioned and tend to prefer leather boots as I've never been convinced that fabric boots can stay waterproof (personal preference though and am sure many would disagree). Touch wood, Meindl Burma Pro (goretex), Scarpa SL M3 (not goretex) and Scarpa SL Activ (not goretex) have all kept out the water - each time after using them, I wash them, let them dry and treat them with Scarpa HS12 cream (put a shine on the Meindls but wasn't worried about the look of them). That way the water doesn't get in in the first place - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby IanEzzi » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Got to agree with Rockhopper, the lighter fabric boots with liners will eventually fail in my experience, the liners can't cope with constant flexing and eventually go through.

I got some leather Altbergs (one piece upper) and don't believe there could be anything more waterproof (other than waders of course!). Look for a leather upper with leather right up the tongue etc.

Then get some gaiters, otherwise the water just flows in the top instead! :lol:
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby roytheboy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:48 pm

spiderwebb wrote:I had a pair of Salomon Quest before and they were without doubt the comfiest ever but didn't keep my feet dry after a few months but I've yet to have any fabric gore tex lined boot to stay dry through its life.

Personal fit issue notwithstanding, I've had a pair of Salomon Quest 2Ds for about 18 months now, and they get a lot of use in the mountains of North Wales (10-20 miles most weekends). I regularly finish off a walk by sloshing around up to my ankles in a river/stream (to clean mud off the boots), and the only water I've ever had inside the boot was from rain running down my legs. I am still 100% satisfied with these boots.
roytheboy
Munro compleatist

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:35 am

One thing I would consider is the soles, had a pair of Scarpas that were very water proof and very comfortable. Unfortunately after 18 months the composite soles were done. Subsequently purchased a pair of Altberg Tetheras which are not as comfortable but are genuine three season and have soles which have lasted far better. They may we a little out of your price range but if you think long term I firmly believe they will last far longer.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby BobMcBob » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:59 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:One thing I would consider is the soles, had a pair of Scarpas that were very water proof and very comfortable. Unfortunately after 18 months the composite soles were done.

Good point. I've had the exact same experience with Scarpas. They had a vibram sole with some sort of light grey plastic inserts and the inserts came loose which made the entire sole fall apart long before the tread had worn off.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby teaandpies » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Brodier54 wrote:cheers for the suggestions spiderwebb, I quite like the look of the meindl's so ill have to see if I can get my feet in a pair. Awfully pricey though :shock: , the warranty on the salomons sounds quite appealing too so that's another point for them.

I also use Meindl Bhutan. Brilliant boot, they can be a little bit of breaking in but they are dry, better than any synthetic boot I've had...abd I had the Salomon Quest 4D.
They were comfortable but like everybody's else's they leaked. The boot is covered by the warranty which is 2 yers but if you get a new pair on the warranty the original purchase date still applies so if the second pair fail and it's over the 2 years you've had it.

I have the Meindl Minnesota as my synthetic boot now. Very comfortable.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby alyg95 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:13 pm

Another vote for Meindl Bhutans from me. I've had mine for just over a year now and climbed about 60 munros in them including a few 40 plus km days and had no trouble from my feet at all. Never a blister or wet feet and I don't use gaiters.

They are heavier and more expensive than most synthetics I've seen but worth it in my opinion.
alyg95
Walker

Munros:234   Corbetts:24
Fionas:20   Donalds:4+3
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:11

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk