walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Rucksack for wildcamping?

Re: Rucksack for wildcamping?

Postby robert bolton » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi everyone new member here! just recently taken up climbing our great munroes. love to wild camp and tackle the mountains at first light, I use a golite jam great rucksack extremely light,with carefull packing you can use this on extended trips, (used on a 3 week jaunt with no problems) and very robust, the volume can also be decreased to use as a daysack when on the mountains, bearing in mind I try to use lightest gear possible when backpacking. :)
robert bolton
Munro compleatist

Postby Stretch » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi Robert, welcome to the site and thanks for the input.

I used my OMM Villian 45+10 for the first time this past Sunday in the Mamores and was well pleased. Still learning where to place everything in and on the rucksack, but it performed well and was very light. The only thing I can think of at the moment that I didn't like is the fact that it didn't come with a raincover and it doesn't exactly keep your back as cool as some others I've tried.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby MacCookie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:58 pm

Stretch wrote:Hi Robert, welcome to the site and thanks for the input.

I used my OMM Villian 45+10 for the first time this past Sunday in the Mamores and was well pleased. Still learning where to place everything in and on the rucksack, but it performed well and was very light. The only thing I can think of at the moment that I didn't like is the fact that it didn't come with a raincover and it doesn't exactly keep your back as cool as some others I've tried.

Rain cover?! Everything should be inside dry bags, so why do you need a rain cover?!

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby Stretch » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Because I don't have any dry bags? But the next trip to Tiso should remedy that. However, other bags of that size that I looked at had a raincover.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby MacCookie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:09 pm

Stretch wrote:Because I don't have any dry bags? But the next trip to Tiso should remedy that.

Alpkit do cheap dry bags, but I've not had a chance to use mine in anger yet so can't vouch for them. The extra tough ones are very good though (if a little heavy). My gf uses one for her thermarest (on the outside of the bag).

I've got a couple of Sea to Summit light weight bags that I got from Ellis Brigham a while back - avoid at all costs! My thermarest was on the outside of my rucksac and was wet by the end of the day. Kinda defeats the purpose IMHO!!

However, other bags of that size that I looked at had a raincover.

My similarly size Osprey didn't... I just think that they're a waste of money... They don't completely cover the bag... They always seem to blow off in the wind... And you need to stop to put it on in the first place... Plus if you use a selection of dry bags, it's much easier to sort all your gear out (especially when camping). I also keep my day stuff in a drybag and just lift the drybag out when I swap rucksacs - means I never forget anything.

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby Stretch » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:24 pm

Thanks for the tips Ewan, I have one dry bag for my Alpkit sleeping bag that works perfectly. I am looking to get a thermarest soon, from what I have read about my OMM rucksack I can actually replace the back cushion with the thermarest, but this remains to be seen.

Just curious, would it be worth it to by a 55l waterproof rucksack liner? Or just go with individual dry bags?

Cheers

Stretch
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Astronick » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:30 am

I use the coloured drybags from Exped. Red (for sleeping bag, pillow and camp clothes), green (for cooking related things), yellow (for safety), blue for everything else! I personally think the smaller bag approach is easier. It means most things are easy to find and you don't have to go routing through the whole bag if you decide you need to get something out halfway along a windy ridge! I've also figured out the optimum arrangement to get everything into my Osprey Talon 33 - for some reasons having things in small packs makes it easier to arrange and stack within the sack.
Astronick
Stravaiging

Munros:220   Corbetts:52
Fionas:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:47 am

I use a garden rubble bag as a rucksack liner - works a treat. Then drybags for anything that really needs it - i.e. sleeping bag.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Hendos van » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:41 am

I also use a OMM Villian 45+10, I spent a night in the Fannichs on Friday, and the contents of the pack where.

HP Hubba tent.
Thermarest Prolite 4.
ME Zero 350 sleeping bag.
Blacks 2 pot, pocket rocket and 100grms gas, spare 100grms can.
Rab generator smock.
Hat, gloves.
Plastic container with the remains of Thursday nights pasta.
Sandwiches, nuts, choclate for 2 days.
Water bottle.
Compass, maps, gps, spare batteries.
Toilet bag, trowel, first aid kit. head torch, Deet
Small Hannah Montana aluminium bottle, with Glenmorangie.
Empty Platypus bag.

I dont think I could get anymore in though, I also used it over the winter, and found it to tight regarding spare clothing. I may get a slightly larger sack for this winter, or try the chest pouch.
Hendos van
Munro compleatist

Munros:261   Corbetts:1

Postby ianaird » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:27 am

where did you buy the osprey exos 58 Kinley?
ianaird
Rambler

Munros:125   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Stretch » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:45 am

Hendos van wrote:I also use a OMM Villian 45+10, I spent a night in the Fannichs on Friday, and the contents of the pack where.

HP Hubba tent.
Thermarest Prolite 4.
ME Zero 350 sleeping bag.
Blacks 2 pot, pocket rocket and 100grms gas, spare 100grms can.
Rab generator smock.
Hat, gloves.
Plastic container with the remains of Thursday nights pasta.
Sandwiches, nuts, choclate for 2 days.
Water bottle.
Compass, maps, gps, spare batteries.
Toilet bag, trowel, first aid kit. head torch, Deet
Small Hannah Montana aluminium bottle, with Glenmorangie.
Empty Platypus bag.

I dont think I could get anymore in though, I also used it over the winter, and found it to tight regarding spare clothing. I may get a slightly larger sack for this winter, or try the chest pouch.

Hannah Montana? Oh dear.

I have the chest pouch for the rucksack and I really enjoyed using it for the 1st time last weekend, although I stored my Canon DSLR in it.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Hendos van » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:24 pm

Stretch wrote:
Hannah Montana? Oh dear.

I have the chest pouch for the rucksack and I really enjoyed using it for the 1st time last weekend, although I stored my Canon DSLR in it.

Hannah montana bottle is a lot lighter than the traditional hip flask :D
I wonder if my my Sony Alpha would fit in the chest pouch ? where did you buy the pouch ?
Hendos van
Munro compleatist

Munros:261   Corbetts:1

Postby Stretch » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby davidmhodgey » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:26 am

Stretch wrote:although I stored my Canon DSLR in it.

Interesting. What model do you have? What lens? I've been storing my Canon 500d and 18-200 lens in the lid but it's far from ideal!
davidmhodgey

Munros:83   Corbetts:3

Postby Stretch » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:56 am

Hi David, I've got a slightly older Canon Rebel Xti, 10mp. With a my larger lens attached the camera won't fit into the chest pouch, but with the standard 55 it works perfectly.

By the way, are you coming to the Glencoe weekend? If so could you let me know as I've got payment from everyone that has confirmed so far.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk