walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Down jackets

Re: Down jackets

Postby abbruce » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:39 pm

Another vote for synthetic. I bought a North Face Thermaball hooded jacket in the January sales & it's better than my old primaloft Rab by a country mile. Very light, very warm & very packable.

I've worn it under a goretex shell as well as on it's own with just a base layer under.

Can't believe how warm it is for it's weight. Hood's also a good close fit too. Folds into it's own pocket too :)
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby teaandpies » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:17 pm

abbruce wrote:Another vote for synthetic. I bought a North Face Thermaball hooded jacket in the January sales & it's better than my old primaloft Rab by a country mile. Very light, very warm & very packable.

I've worn it under a goretex shell as well as on it's own with just a base layer under.

Can't believe how warm it is for it's weight. Hood's also a good close fit too. Folds into it's own pocket too :)

The most stolen jacket in Britain last year I'm pretty sure. It's a NED jacket and the stiching is poor but its warm even when wet so it's got that going for it.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby bydand_loon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:21 pm

I get around the "down jackets are crap when wet" thing, by keeping them dry, seems to work.

Patagonia hooded down sweater being the jacket of choice for me, easy to pick up around the 110/130 mark, lightweight and hotter than the chicken dippers in private eyes, great for stops and bivi sites, to hot to walk in though.

Some very good deals on down or synthetic jackets on sportpursuit just now
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby TheCoosTail » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:07 pm

I can't see past my Berghaus Asgard Hybrid. Very light & very warm when needed.
TheCoosTail
Mountain Walker

Postby abbruce » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:58 am

teaandpies wrote:
abbruce wrote:Another vote for synthetic. I bought a North Face Thermaball hooded jacket in the January sales & it's better than my old primaloft Rab by a country mile. Very light, very warm & very packable.

The most stolen jacket in Britain last year I'm pretty sure. It's a NED jacket and the stiching is poor but its warm even when wet so it's got that going for it.

Please be assured that I purchased this jacket from Cotswold. In addition, I'm sure if you asked the people I've met from WH, NED is most certainly not a word I'd expect to hear to describe me.

If you've owned this jacket & had issues with the stitching (I haven't btw) perhaps you could have simply stated this without the insults.

Thank you.
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:41 am

huwthomas wrote:So I have a bit of money to burn, and the obvious hole in my outdoor inventory is a down jacket. I've never owned one of these, partly because the warm/emergency layer I've always carried is a fleece. I've checked the gear section, and there are no recent reviews of down jackets, so looking for advice. Are they actually worth it - in terms of cost-weight-warmth, is it worth having one in your pack? My likely use would be winter walking/mountaineering in Britain, possibly branching out to use as a belaying jacket. If yes, then which one would you recommend, based on personal experience. My upper limit is £200, but would rather not spend more than £150.

Looks like the concensus is YES GET A DOWN JACKET. Though the actual filling may be better with synthetic. And you wont have to spend all that money, leaving you with pockets full of cash to spend at trendy to-be-seen-at highland climbers' pubs like the Clachaig and Kingshouse, posing in your new jacket.... Now get praying for winter.

Winer is coming#1.jpg
Winter is coming...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby teaandpies » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:22 pm

abbruce wrote:
teaandpies wrote:

Please be assured that I purchased this jacket from Cotswold. In addition, I'm sure if you asked the people I've met from WH, NED is most certainly not a word I'd expect to hear to describe me.

If you've owned this jacket & had issues with the stitching (I haven't btw) perhaps you could have simply stated this without the insults.

Thank you.

If you took what I said as insulting thats unfortunate but I was actually making any reference to you personally what so ever.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby teaandpies » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:27 pm

The Rab Nimbus looks like a down jacket with the baffled design but it's synthetic.

As mentioned above the Pat Down Sweater is a decent jacket.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby nathan79 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:23 am

Check out this offering from Alpkit for under £100 at the moment. I'd have bought myself one if I didn't already have 3 synthetic jackets.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/0hiro-jacket-men
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:11 pm

whatever you choose, your down or synthetic fluff-filled jacket makes a great pillow when camping.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:14 pm

mrssanta wrote:whatever you choose, your down or synthetic fluff-filled jacket makes a great pillow when camping.

So does a pile of ice axes and crampons if you've spent enough time in the Kingshouse/Clachaig [delete as appropriate for ethnicity/hill-cred].
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby falling monkey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:31 pm

I,ve got a berghaus ignite hoody,great jacket but new ones have different sleeves ie not insulated,just bought a north ridge down jacket at go outdoors for around £70 after trying rab microlight and montane,better fit than any of the expensive ones, rab was my first choice until I tried north ridge jacket, its mainly down with 2 synthetic panels on sides and back of sleeves. Will see how it fairs this winter as my berghaus is now around 5 yrs old and still my go to jacket for under my hardshell in full on winters,but down one is just not quite as bulky in rucksack. Definetly try a few different ones on as I was very surprised by some of the cheaper brands quality.
falling monkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:126   Corbetts:18
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Renegade Scot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:32 pm

Got a down jacket from Decathlon myself and has been fantastic. Cost about £50. :D
Renegade Scot
Munro compleatist

Postby teaandpies » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Some of the 'expensive' brands use far better quality down or down that's not been torn out of the flesh of a bird that's still alive.
If you buy a cheap down jacket your down has more than likely come from some kind of cruel practice.

http://www.veganpeace.com/animal_cruelty/downandfeathers.htm

Patagonia are the only company that knows where, when, who and how the down they use is sourced. The other bigger brands are close to having that boast but not quite there yet.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby nathan79 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:07 pm

teaandpies wrote:Some of the 'expensive' brands use far better quality down or down that's not been torn out of the flesh of a bird that's still alive.
If you buy a cheap down jacket your down has more than likely come from some kind of cruel practice.

http://www.veganpeace.com/animal_cruelty/downandfeathers.htm

Patagonia are the only company that knows where, when, who and how the down they use is sourced. The other bigger brands are close to having that boast but not quite there yet.

Not so. Mountain Equipment down is fully traceable, they were doing this before Patagonia. Their down garments come with a code which gives you access to an audit and report relating to the source of the down.

You raise a valid point regarding the ethics of down though.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk