walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Paramo v Goretex

Re: Paramo v Goretex

Postby Sgurr » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 pm

I got a technically flawless paramo via ebay. It was labelled as seconds, but I think it was because of its rather strange amalgam of lilacs. IT has worked fine in all weathers....except heat. There was a button (still there on some of the ones I looked at) saying "Make an Offer" I should obviously have started low and gone higher, but was so surprised I tried to reckon what they would accept and took 1/3rd off their asking price. I think it was less than £100.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Veryhappybunny » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:21 pm

Another vote for paramo.

I have owned goretex in the past, and still have a very light goretex and overtrousers - I very occasionally wear the jacket but it is ages since I wore the overtrousers.

I first got the paramo cascada trousers and love them - the ventilation all along the side of the legs makes them usable for a wider temperature range than I expected. Paramo have helpfully sent me patches to repair some small rips, (they also will repair them for you if you pay).

I am very pleased with the paramo jacket too - much less clammy inside in some conditions than my DH’s goretex.

I also like their Torres insulation which you put on over the jackets, when it is really cold.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby hbeevers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:48 pm

Cold weather, Paramo. Warm weather, membrane.

I wear an Alta II through most of the year. Merino long-sleeve baselayer in winter with belay jacket to put over the top of the lot for stops. Synthetic baselayer and all the vents open in warmer weather.

Summer means a baselayer with a windproof/wind-resistant top and the gore-tex stays in the bag unless it's wet or really windy.

If I had to pick a single jacket I'd honestly get something like Alpkit Definition or ME Lhotse. Then you've flexibility with your under-layers but you'll have already spent the same amount as the paramo and have the faff of more layers. However, the paramo is far more comfortable in terms of breathability, if you're walking for long periods then it eliminates any faff as you just keep it on.

Alternatively, and genuinely something to go try on, paramo fleece and windproof combi. The fleeces are super breathable and nicely water-resistant on their own. When combined with the windproof they are waterproof. This way in summer you just leave the fleece in the bag and wear baselayer with your paramo windproof, when you stop, stick the fleece on the outside of the windproof to keep warm, works a treat.
hbeevers
Mountaineer

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:38 pm

I run cold, so in winter, Buffalo. No need for base layers, waterproofs or anything else.

In summer, usually a merino base layer, fleece or merino mid layer, and a windproof. Membrane jacket & trousers if it starts persisting it down. Looking at Paramo as membranes generally suck and I'm looking for ways to ditch them permanently. I'll also carry my Buffalo top if it's a chilly, damp summer's day for when I'm stopped or not exerting myself too much.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby john swinden » Fri May 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Goretex every time for me. Everyone I know who uses Paramo, seems to be very sweaty and it always looks scruffy. So why Goretex - I wash and reproof 4 times a year, the winter jackets I wear are around £400 and they are bomb proof in the Scottish winters, as are the bib pants. In summer I drop down to a lighter thinner jacket and pants and they are great in showers. Watch the weather forecast and take the right gear. Good layering and venting keeps the sweat down...but we can't stop sweating. I issue uniform on Cairngorm Mountain and all the guys, fitters, lifties ski patrol all wear the Gore and have done for years..this must speak volumes for the kit. Our former Head ranger was the only advocate of Paramo, he was always wet and looked like he'd been dragged through an hedge backwords. The clothing company Keela based down in Glen Rothes produces there own waterproofing system, again we used it for years on the hill. the interesting thing was the owner felt gortex testing and claims we're spurious and he keeps putting the word out trying to get Goretax to take him to court so he can have his day.
john swinden
Mountain Walker

Munros:257   Corbetts:39
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:114   Islands:15

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk