walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Used Axe/Crampons

Used Axe/Crampons

Postby Kerr1992 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi folks,

I'd like to have a go at some winter walking this year so I'm interested in purchasing at least some crampons and possibly a walking axe.

I'd like to find a training day that will teach the use of both but not sure I want to fork out a lot of cash initially.

Would you recommend buying 2nd hand? What would you recommend to look for and how much would you look to spend?

Thanks
Craig
Kerr1992

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Used Axe/Crampons

Postby MountainHare22 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Kerr1992 wrote:Hi folks,

I'd like to have a go at some winter walking this year so I'm interested in purchasing at least some crampons and possibly a walking axe.

I'd like to find a training day that will teach the use of both but not sure I want to fork out a lot of cash initially.

Would you recommend buying 2nd hand? What would you recommend to look for and how much would you look to spend?

Thanks
Craig

Well worth paying for a winter skills day - have a look and see what Glenmore lodge has on offer, but other companies will offer courses too.

My own kit is mostly secondhand winter gear - I have a Mountain Technology axe which is perfect for me and cost £10, they occasionally come up on Ebay and several of my (older) friends have them. The basic grivel axe is perfectly good for walking too and can be got for about £50.

I have actually got a pair of Grivel Airtech classics worn once, bought at that start of the last winter season, that I'd be happy to sell for £85 plus postage - I've carried them around than once in the rucksack but they seemed to be a good way of warding off any crampon wearing situations. They must have been £125-£130 new so it would be good to recoup some of the costs given they are still almost new.

Cheap gaiters as trouser protection until you get used to the crampons is also a good idea :D
MountainHare22
Mountaineer

Postby gman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:30 am

There were dodgy Chinese crampons on ebay recently so go for a big name like Grivel, Petzl, Black Diamond, DMM etc. 10 point walking crampons with a flexible bar (like Grivel G10) will be fine. Some crampons have clips at the front/back to fit welts on boots, these won't be compatible with a lot of boots so get crampons with plastic baskets (eg Grivel New Classic binding).

Walking axes (eg Grivel Munro) have straight shafts, the head has a pick for self arrest and an adze for cutting steps. Lengths vary, rough guide is to hold the head and the spike should reach down to your ankle - shorter axes are better on steeper ground and self-arrest. Axe strength is rated basic (B) or technical (T), technical climbing axes have very curved shafts for swinging into ice but will be awkward for walking. Alpine axes (eg DMM Cirque) have a slight curve and are a good compromise. You want a B rated walking or Alpine axe, check for wear on the pick.

Not sure about 2nd hand price - £50 for axe and a bit more for crampons? You could probably get new gear from Decathlon (Simond) for the price of second hand big name stuff though.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Kerr1992 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:45 am

Hey,

Thanks for the replys folks.

Yes I would like to do a training day as I think learning techniques before you fall is a good idea lol.

I have come across a couple on Gumtree not far from me. They are wanting £35.00 for the two which look OK but then I have no idea what I'm looking at lol. One is mountain tech and the other one has the name Cassin or something on it.

They are quite long though with one being 75cm and the other 82cm. We are about 5ft 11/6ft tall so might be a bit long.

Thanks
Craig
Kerr1992

Postby MountainHare22 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:22 am

Kerr1992 wrote:Hey,

Thanks for the replys folks.

Yes I would like to do a training day as I think learning techniques before you fall is a good idea lol.

I have come across a couple on Gumtree not far from me. They are wanting £35.00 for the two which look OK but then I have no idea what I'm looking at lol. One is mountain tech and the other one has the name Cassin or something on it.

They are quite long though with one being 75cm and the other 82cm. We are about 5ft 11/6ft tall so might be a bit long.

Thanks
Craig

Sounds too long compared to what people use now - if your arm is by your side then the axe should be just touching your boots - usually 50-65cm and I guess the upper part of the range will be closer to what you need being tall.
MountainHare22
Mountaineer

Postby Kerr1992 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:44 am

I'll maybe have a look in cotswold or go outdoor. They had a north Ridge one that looked good but not sure it its easy to get spares
Kerr1992

Postby jac the lassie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:15 pm

I got my winter kit second hand, just look for decent makes ie not the Chinese knock offs. Grivel, camp, black Diamond, DDM, petzl, anything along those lines is good. I got my crampons and axe for £65 of eBay. They got throughly used for two years then I sold them because of a change in circumstances ( pregnancy) and got my money back on them. Someone from the woodland trust in Wales is now using them :lol: . Getting decent makes also makes them easier to sell back on if you realise its not for you after couple of trips.
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby Kerr1992 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:07 pm

Going to have a look at the North Ridge one at Go Outdoor as it is made by Grivel and gets good reviews and only costs £55. They also have the classic grivel crampons for £103.
Kerr1992

Postby Iainm » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:28 pm

Kerr1992 wrote:Going to have a look at the North Ridge one at Go Outdoor as it is made by Grivel and gets good reviews and only costs £55. They also have the classic grivel crampons for £103.

Don't buy anything from Go outdoors without price checking online first. I got a pair of grivel airtech crampons for £70 through their price match offer.

Got a DMM Cirque axe used on ebay for £40.

If you are planning on doing a course, it might be worth picking one that can lend you equipment (Glenmore does this). Then you can test their stuff and get an idea of what axe/crampons you prefer before buying your own.
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Postby SuperMillie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:37 pm

Mountain Aid provide free winter skills courses and navigation courses.
I did a winter skills course with them a couple of years ago (one day) and can thoroughly recommend them.

They are currently advertising for free courses on the following dates:
These will run on 21 & 22 January 2017 setting out from Aviemore, and 11 & 12 February in Glencoe

So I'd advise you to get your name down quick if interested

See http://www.mountainaid.org.uk/68-free-winter-skills-courses-in-2017 for further details.
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:30 am

I would (and have) bought second hand gear, when I was a Yoof we would often "pawn" our kit to each other when skint to raise cash for beer money, then purchase the kit back later when more solvent. So there was a kind of floating pool of kit doing the rounds. One also gained a kind of kudos by using ice-tools of a good climber as warriors of ancient times might have by carrying a famous sword used by a great warrior previously. Look out in climbing equipment shops for "used gear for sale" notices on notice boards. As for training, have you tried talking to others who know what they're doing? Try joining a club to glean knowledge from the ancients such as myself. I used to climb with Old Scrunge of the Glens, you know. Of that was in old money, and jam-jars....

013ar.jpg
Old climbing gear
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby teaandpies » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:21 pm

MTT16 discount code will get you 15% off mountain gear at Ellis Brigham Online until the 5th of November.

The Petzl 'Ride' is a ski touring axe but it's a bloody sexy bit of kit :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:54 am

teaandpies wrote:MTT16 discount code will get you 15% off mountain gear at Ellis Brigham Online until the 5th of November.

But Ellis Brigham is about the most expensive trendy-tat merchant out there, so 15% off over-inflated prices is no bargain. :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby teaandpies » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
teaandpies wrote:MTT16 discount code will get you 15% off mountain gear at Ellis Brigham Online until the 5th of November.

But Ellis Brigham is about the most expensive trendy-tat merchant out there, so 15% off over-inflated prices is no bargain. :shock:

To be fair the prices are RRP and for a small private company that's not unusual.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk