walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX boot maintenance advice

Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX boot maintenance advice

Postby Borderhugh » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:51 pm

I have had mixed experience of using Nikwash and Grangers products when proofing fabric boots. Are there any other products that you would recommend I try? thks in advance.
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Re: Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX boot maintenance advice

Postby roytheboy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:25 pm

In what way 'mixed experiences'? I find Nikwax Nubuck & Suede Proofer to be brilliant on my Quests. It doesn't stop water for ever, but it keeps them dry for light showers and puddles. Are you applying it when the boot is wet, and are you lightly scrubbing off the old coat before applying a new coat?
roytheboy
Munro compleatist

Postby TheFox » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:08 pm

I have stopped waterproofing my boots with any sprays, and not felt any difference. They have a Gore-Tex membrane, so they are waterproof anyway, and as the suede part (which makes up more than half of the surface area) is covered in wax to protect the leather anyway, that little extra breathability that a beading spray could give to the other bits is minuscule.

Maybe just try going without the spray for a couple of months to see whether you feel any difference, if not just ditch the stuff.
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   

Postby basscadet » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Aye, thats my tactic too - I look after them for the first while but as the years go by, I start to fancy a new pair so stop looking after them but will the boots die? No they won't - some bits have fallen off the sole, but still waterproof so no justification to buy a new pair :? :roll:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby roytheboy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:56 pm

Well, as I understand it - and it's logical too - when the suede gets soaked it no longer breaths. Thus if you can keep the water off the suede for a while with a DWR-type spray such as Nikwax, your feet stay drier because they are breathing better through the boot. I realise that the membrane cuts down the breathability a little, but I can also tell the difference in the dampness of my feet after walking with or without suede that is soaking wet. So I use Nikwax because I believe that it keeps my feet drier than when not using it, in non-downpour conditions such as wet grass or summer showers.
roytheboy
Munro compleatist

Postby TheFox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:34 pm

basscadet wrote:Aye, thats my tactic too - I look after them for the first while but as the years go by, I start to fancy a new pair so stop looking after them but will the boots die? No they won't - some bits have fallen off the sole, but still waterproof so no justification to buy a new pair :? :roll:

You misunderstood me there - I only stopped using waterproofing spray, I don't stop looking after them. They get cleaned after every walk, they get waxed regularly, and occasionally I fill them up to the brim with warm water for a couple of hours to get rid of all the salts that accumulate from sweating and can damage the Gore-Tex membrane.

roytheboy wrote:Well, as I understand it - and it's logical too - when the suede gets soaked it no longer breaths.

But does the spray keep the suede itself in good shape? I use wax so the suede doesn't dry out and get brittle, and with the wax on top the suede beads off water anyway (but the breathability is probably close to nil). In any case, I've just never noticed a difference in feet dampness depending on what I did to my boots. Wax or not, spray or not, no difference.
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   

Postby roytheboy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:29 pm

TheFox wrote:But does the spray keep the suede itself in good shape? I use wax so the suede doesn't dry out and get brittle, and with the wax on top the suede beads off water anyway (but the breathability is probably close to nil). In any case, I've just never noticed a difference in feet dampness depending on what I did to my boots. Wax or not, spray or not, no difference.

Actually, I used the word 'spray' in error - I use the sponge-on bottle which soaks into the wet suede. I would hope that given Nikwax's mega reputation for leather care, that it does keep the boot in good shape. An interesting topic :)
roytheboy
Munro compleatist

Postby teaandpies » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:00 pm

teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk