walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Climbing Salopettes (Repaired)

Climbing Salopettes (Repaired)

Postby MunroMadMen » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:07 am

Yeah that's right, crampons straight through my fave Salopettes. Can anybody point me in the direction of somebody that may be able to stitch/repair these. I have approached a normal sewing shop however they told me that there machines/needles would struggle to get through the layers without damaging there needles so looking for a repair shop with more robust machines. I'm in the Cumbernauld area but happy to travel or post for repair??

Thanks....
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Climbing Salopettes (Repaired)

Postby jmarkb » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:33 am

Scottish Mountain Gear in Musselburgh will do this for you, and you can post stuff to them: https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/repair-service

If your crampons are quite new, they may be much sharper than necessary and it may be worth taking a file to the points and blunting them off a little.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby prog99 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:25 am

How big is the hole? My waterproofs are held together with Tenacious Tape.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:18 pm

prog99 wrote:How big is the hole? My waterproofs are held together with Tenacious Tape.

Good point. All the best mountainy men have patches on their kit. Nylon fabric tape from a yachties' chandlers is good, and currently holding together a down parka of mine.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby rockhopper » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Another vote here for Tenacious Tape on waterproofs :thumbup: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby MunroMadMen » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:29 pm

magic thanks for that...... :clap:
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby teaandpies » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:53 pm

Tenacious Tape is an excellent product. You can get a similar product by gore tex. http://www.gore-tex.co.uk/blog/do-it-yourself-gore-tex-jacket-repairs/

I've seen one of the outdoor shops giving out little strips of Tenacious Tape, just snipping a bit of the roll and handing it out to folk who have damaged their jacket.

jmarkb wrote:Scottish Mountain Gear in Musselburgh will do this for you, and you can post stuff to them: <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/repair-service</span>

If your crampons are quite new, they may be much sharper than necessary and it may be worth taking a file to the points and blunting them off a little.

A lot of gear that the high street send back to manufacturers for repairs end up at this place getting fixed.
So potentially an item gets sent from a shop here in Scotland to Germany for inspection then sent to Scotland for repair then back to Germany to be sent back to the shop in Scotland for the customer :crazy:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk