walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Single Skin Tents

Single Skin Tents

Postby willsdad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:26 pm

Happy New Year Folks!!

Single Skin Tents......just how bad is the condensation problem?

I've got big plans for the coming 2 or 3 years so I'm considering spending some serious money on a top quality 1kg 2 man tent. After a bit of research I'm finding myself swayed towards single skinned using hiking poles for supports. My favourite at the moment is the Big Agnes Super Scout UL2 (love the extra porch space).

I have ZERO experience with single skin so I'm after some input. Most reviews I find are from overseas and different climate. They all seem to say condensation is an issue.

Surely this would be different here? Also, if it's only my body heat in a 2 man tent, shouldn't this reduce condensation?

If anyone one has any experience with this style of tent, or even better with the Big Agnes, can you share please?

Thanks.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Re: Single Skin Tents

Postby StevenF » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:57 pm

Hey,

I got myself an MLD trailstar. There is more place, it's more flexible and it can handle the wind very good. You need a groundsheet and it when walking in the summer I also carry a compatible inner tent (for bug protection).

Very happy with it, so easy, a lot of space. Perfect for Brittish weather.

S
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:77   

Postby willsdad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Steven,

Just looked at the MLD site. I definitely like the look of the Trailstar. What does the weight come to with the inner included?
I've experienced being fed to the midges before. ....never again! I need netting :?
Also, what are the prices here after shipping etc?

Is it really as roomy as all the reviews say?
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby gaffr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:37 am

Is it not just a question of horses for courses or maybe tents/tarp type things for terrain/climate?
In Scotland you definitely need tent with flysheet and an inner with groundsheet sewn-in. We have for a few months with a wet midge infested environment.
For the dryer sunny climates you can get away with just the tent but with a 'down to earth' flysheet....foxes etc. tend to come around during the night looking for easy pickings.
The first time that I went to Corse for a fifteen day trip I took the tent without the inner tent but found problems with dust etc. and in one location a very large population on ants at Carozzu getting into clothing and bedding. On subsequent trips I have taken the tent with inner....an old now 'out of production' Saunders Spacepacker Plus that has served me well. :D
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby StevenF » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:17 am

willsdad wrote:Steven,

Also, what are the prices here after shipping etc?

Is it really as roomy as all the reviews say?

Hey willsdag,

It really is (when compared to other 2 person tents) roomy. I spend a couple of nights with two people under it and there is plenty of room for both + large backpacks and there is still room to cook.

I bough the trailstar from MLD, and I think you need to add £40 for customs. I purchased my inner tent from another (cheaper) supplier (my inner tent is just for one). If you want to buy a two person inner tent maybe check out ookworks, it's a guy in the UK who makes inner tents for different kind of tarps.

I like it because I can use it without an inner tent (just a ground sheet) when there are no midges and with when there are. It's larger and handles wind better + you can cook under the tarp.

Here is a review from someone who explains it better then I can: http://sectionhiker.com/mountain-laurel ... e-lintern/
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:08 pm

Packed this seems to be 993 grams. I'd look at the ZPacks Duplex, packed it's 595 grams. Both use trekking poles, however the ZP Duplex has an entirely optional 283 gram carbon-fibre pole frame that makes it freestanding.

The very first review I found of the Big Agnes Super Scout UL2 said the nearest competitor was from ZPacks, and noted the ZPacks won their award, was lighter, and was more robust. [However, they reviewed a different model, a Hexamid tent that they claimed was 2-man but ZPacks claim is man plus child, they then went on to say this 1.5 man tent wasn't as spacious as a 2-man tent. Duh.]. Either way, it's the 2-man Duplex I think you should at least look at, the Youtube reviews make it and the porch look roomy.

ZPacks make all their kit from cuben fibre, the lightest, strongest, and most expensive (!!) material around. Their price is around $600, another $125 for the freestanding poles, and of course international shipping.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelters.shtml

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralight-Tent-Reviews/Big-Agnes-Scout-Plus-UL2
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby willsdad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks Steven,

I've just emailed MLD to ask about shipping costs etc :D

I have a small Alpkit tarp I've used in the past for bivvying which will work well as a ground sheet, I'm sure it's only 160gms or something. I've also found a website where I can buy midge netting (from Scotland so yes it is for midge) to make my own 'bug bivvy'.

2017 is going to see me hitting the trails with a palace on my back :D
(I'll start 2017 as a delusional fool :roll: )
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:43 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Packed this seems to be 993 grams. I'd look at the ZPacks Duplex, packed it's 595 grams. Both use trekking poles, however the ZP Duplex has an entirely optional 283 gram carbon-fibre pole frame that makes it freestanding.

ZPacks make all their kit from cuben fibre, the lightest, strongest, and most expensive (!!) material around. Their price is around $600, another $125 for the freestanding poles, and of course international shipping.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelters.shtml

I've had the ZPacks Hexamid Duo for a couple of years now. No problems with the bug net keeping out small creatures. Weight and pack size are fantastic. Condensation is however a bit of a problem, particularly if the temperature has dropped overnight - I have only used this tent in summer/autumn. Usually there have been 2 of us in the tent, which will increase the condensation factor, admittedly. My main concern has been my sleeping bag getting wet from either condensation or wind-blown rain coming in over the bathtub floor sheet. For one night I think that's not a big issue, for three or more I suspect it might be. Getting a sleeping bag cover might help reduce the risks of a wet bag.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby StevenF » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:48 pm

I've had the ZPacks Hexamid Duo for a couple of years now. No problems with the bug net keeping out small creatures. Weight and pack size are fantastic. Condensation is however a bit of a problem, particularly if the temperature has dropped overnight - I have only used this tent in summer/autumn. Usually there have been 2 of us in the tent, which will increase the condensation factor, admittedly. My main concern has been my sleeping bag getting wet from either condensation or wind-blown rain coming in over the bathtub floor sheet. For one night I think that's not a big issue, for three or more I suspect it might be. Getting a sleeping bag cover might help reduce the risks of a wet bag.

How does it fare in windy conditions? When I read about the cuben fibre I often hear it is difficult to pitch it taut?
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:14 pm

StevenF wrote:

How does it fare in windy conditions? When I read about the cuben fibre I often hear it is difficult to pitch it taut?

Surprisingly well in the wind, although it is noisy. I remember pitching at the summit of Baosbheinn and worrying how it would cope but we were fine inside. One of the poles dislodged during the night but was easily fixed. Wouldn't fancy it in a gale, mind :wink:

It can be a bit of a hassle to pitch taut, maybe I'm just not very good at it. I think they have re-designed the tent a bit since I bought mine making it easier to pitch
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby john.malley » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:52 am

Trailstar - I'd definitely confirm that they're up to coping with a gale or two having pitched them in violent mountaintop weather .. including a rather windy episode ontop of Ben Avon .. very firm and incredibly quiet. I got the si-nylon version as i reckoned this has a bit more 'give' in it in terms of pitching. Masses of room inside (for me and the tree dogs). Have a light bug inner (actually the MLD duomid) which I use during summer months (just tie a knot to get rrid of surplus material). No massive condensation to speak of (probably because there's an open porch). I'd always wondered whether you'd get rain coming in - no it doesn't. Couple of pictures here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/56159557@ ... 5255526886 . I also have a si lux hex peak https://www.flickr.com/photos/56159557@ ... ist-LFeimw which I bought for extra headroom when I do some mountain top marshalling ... again v.good in wind and only needs 1 pole. The other key bit of kit I have is an 'escape bivi bag (just a few grams) - made of waterproof tvek and uprates your bag about a season meaning you can get away with a very light bag in summer! My former tent was a hilleberg atko and is not as windfirm as the trailstar (and a good bit heavier). Other thing to mention is that loads of people use them on the TGo challenge (along with the MLD duomid & super mid) Google tony hobbs and matt holland for images and videos on the trailstar.
john.malley
Stravaiging

Munros:182   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:188
Wainwrights:214   

Postby willsdad » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks for all the input!

I'm definitely swaying towards the Trailstar. I like the idea of all the room.

It's the inner I'm looking into now. Was looking at a DIY job with netting and a base tarp but I think that will work out too heavy and defeats the object of the trailstar.

What inners will work with the Trailstar?

1. MLD TS inner
2. MLD Duomid inner??
3. Ookworks
willsdad
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk