walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GSB Crampon System

GSB Crampon System

Postby BVCSK » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:42 pm

As I am in the market for new boots and crampons I have come across this new GSB crampon system which is a collaboration between Grivel and Scarpa.
The system has a metal prong at the toe of the crampon facing backwards and fits into a slot created in the toe of the boot.
I have concerns regarding the slot filling up with various types of debris.
Has anyone got this type of system and what are your comments or does anyone else have other comments or suggestions to make.
The boots I am favouring at the moment are Scarpa Manta's, thoughts and opinions on these too.

Bruce
BVCSK

Munros:37   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   

Re: GSB Crampon System

Postby Freewheelin » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:01 am

Been using manta boots for about 3 years after using berghaus boots for umpteen years. I've found them to be hard-wearing, waterproof (tho' I do re-proof them every 2 or 3 outings), tough and comfy. They are still in great nick considering the mileage they have done and are worn both summer and winter.
I did once take an additional pair of lighter boots with me when I had a longer walk in and out - but that was in the summer when I didn't fancy the idea of stewed tootsies!
Had my money's worth out them and I 'recon they've plenty life left in them yet.
Best thing to do would be to try on a couple of recommended pairs and see what feels most comfortable. I must have tried a half dozen pairs before I decided.
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby Myth » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:52 am

Freewheelin wrote:...I must have tried a half dozen pairs before I decided.

I'm getting seriously tired of trying on boots.
Must have tried over 15 pairs now (4 shops in Aviemore, 4 in Inverness) without anything that's said "buy me".
Myth

Postby thenobz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:34 am

me and the girlfriend have scarpa sl m3 boots which are great. also g10 with anti-bot. 10 point crampons are all you need in scotland. they used to use them to climb the eiger and everest,
thenobz

Munros:56   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Hello, I had a pair of the new manta and grivel crampons for Xmas and got to wear them the week before last in the Lakes,(see walks outside Scotland-surprise day out-for pics),my husband has the same worries. I left the pegs in because even when we pushed them in they were easy to get out, on the mountain because the rubber became stiffer they were a lot harder to remove. My husband contacted Scarpa who say just leave them out as they were designed to be worn without, although they did send some extra pegs. As to the use they are very quick and easy to put on and think they would take some beating, there is no way they can come adrift,Sue
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby yokehead » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:18 pm

Just back from a week in Scotland, I was using the new Manta boot across a wide range of terrain and found them to be absolutely excellent in all respects, and very comfortable. I had the Airtech Newmatic crampon but not the GSB version since I didn't want to risk the slot getting full of ice/mud/stones during the walk-in and having to fiddle with getting the crampons on in that situation. It also seems to me that the single front attachment point with the GSB may allow the crampon to twist a bit under the toes; that wouldn't be the case with the 2 attachment point setup at the toe of the non-GSB version.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk