walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Buffalo shirts

Buffalo shirts

Postby lmc123 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi, new here so I don't know if it's been touched on before but I'm looking to get a buffalo shirt and dont know what ones for me. I want it for in the spring/summer for when the weather comes in and I hate myself for niavely believeing that the sun might actually make an appearance this year (i normaly only hike in a baselayer) and as an active top I can wear all the time in the winter.
I've been swithering between the active and active lite shirts and was just wondering if people with experience of buffalo could share their opinions?
(even if that's dont buy :wink: )
Hope I've not waffeled too much, cheers.
lmc123

Re: Buffalo shirts

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 am

I have one, it is a strange garment, really only suitable for the time spent hiking in the hills. There is a large amount of time and circumstances where the buffalo shirt is not suitable, such as travelling to and from the hills in a vehicle/bus/train etc., or in cafes, bars or public buildings where it is far too hot. Having nothing on under it makes it peculiarly difficult to change out of (no one wants to see your pale, flabby body, thanks). A layering system such as base layer, shirt or thin fleece then heavier stuff over the top if necessary is much better.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:36 am

Also, our weather does sometimes get mild and even hot, making the buffalo too hot, and so you have to bring something else to wear just in case, which defeats the purpose of the one, lightweight garment.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby basscadet » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Aye, just buy a pertex wind shirt, then you can turn your base layer, or base layer and fleece into a buffalo top at a moments notice :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby willsdad » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:35 am

Just to throw my experience in the mix....

I bought a Buffalo top in 1998 from the NAAFI while on tour in Bosnia. I was wearing it this weekend when I was out on the local fells. It's a little tatty but still going strong. It's got to be pretty chilly to be able to wear it when doing anything active though!

I'm not sure what kind it is.......shower proof outer with fleece inside?

I'd never choose to take it on any multi day trail though. Too bulky to be carrying about.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby GillSte » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:42 pm

lmc123 wrote:Hi, new here so I don't know if it's been touched on before but I'm looking to get a buffalo shirt and dont know what ones for me. I want it for in the spring/summer for when the weather comes in and I hate myself for niavely believeing that the sun might actually make an appearance this year (i normaly only hike in a baselayer) and as an active top I can wear all the time in the winter.
I've been swithering between the active and active lite shirts and was just wondering if people with experience of buffalo could share their opinions?
(even if that's dont buy :wink: )
Hope I've not waffeled too much, cheers.

I use a Special 6 in winter conditions (which can happen in spring too), which is really the dog's. You shouldn't wear anything underneath it, and you just need to carry a goretex to put on over the top. But it's no use whatsoever at temperatures above 4 C or so, you will be too hot. I've got an old lightweight Buffalo shirt too, which is really excellent over a base layer for fell running in the winter months (no waterproofs needed). It's no good for mountain walking though, it only works if you are moving fast. I don't like either of them for Scottish summer, it's much better to use a layering system as others have advised. Neither type is suitable for carrying in a rucksack, and neither are waterproof. If it rains and you're up a big mountain, you will get very cold and wet if you wear only a Buffalo even in summer, so a waterproof jacket is needed.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby Warric01 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:25 pm

willsdad wrote:Just to throw my experience in the mix....

I bought a Buffalo top in 1998 from the NAAFI while on tour in Bosnia. I was wearing it this weekend when I was out on the local fells. It's a little tatty but still going strong. It's got to be pretty chilly to be able to wear it when doing anything active though!

I'm not sure what kind it is.......shower proof outer with fleece inside?

I'd never choose to take it on any multi day trail though. Too bulky to be carrying about.

If you intend to get a mortgage you need to get a bank pre-approval so do that first. Then you have to start looking at homes, either you get an agent or you do the search work yourself, I would recommend you get an agent. What basic details you are looking for in Buffalo?
Warric01
Rambler

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:25 am

Buffalo 6 is far too warm for me,only time it is used is winter,great bit of kit when the chill factor reaches minus and its dry,you don't wear anything underneath it,bulky shirt,only showerproof.
For spring/summer a layering system would be far better option where you can regulate your temperature.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk