walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Trangia

Trangia

Postby Stewart » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Anyone still use the old Trangia..I'm on my second one now..Only replaced the old one cos the new one has a kettle in it..Great bit of kit in my opinion..what do you think????
Stewart
Scrambler

Re: Trangia

Postby kerrera » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:55 pm

Stewart wrote:Anyone still use the old Trangia..I'm on my second one now..Only replaced the old one cos the new one has a kettle in it..Great bit of kit in my opinion..what do you think????

I've just finished spending 6 months with a guy who had a trangia. It weighed more than my tent.

Sorry: probably not the reply you're looking for. :)
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Stewart » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:03 pm

kerrera wrote:
Stewart wrote:Anyone still use the old Trangia..I'm on my second one now..Only replaced the old one cos the new one has a kettle in it..Great bit of kit in my opinion..what do you think????

I've just finished spending 6 months with a guy who had a trangia. It weighed more than my tent.

Sorry: probably not the reply you're looking for. :)

No not at all..Glad to hear your opinion..To be honest when I got my first Trangia they were the lightest and best thing on the market..Looks like i'm out of touch these days.....So what's the big thing these days, is there something better out there?
Stewart
Scrambler

Postby rocket-ron » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 pm

i use a jetboil. I think its a excellant bit of kit
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:103
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Stewart » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Jetboil..must check it out now
Stewart
Scrambler

Postby Stewart » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:19 pm

I think the reason we went for the trangia 20 yrs ago was that our gas was freezing up and we were advised to go for Meths and at the time it seemed to work when we were up high and camping in winter..
Stewart
Scrambler

Postby fingeez » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Iv used a trangia for about 10 years and love it. Need to replace mine with something else now as one of the pans has a small hole in it, buts its been used alot.

Def not the lightest piece of kit but reliable :)

Although i think i'll be buying a lightweight gas stove and evernew pan for my future walking trips.

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Postby Yettie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:44 pm

I recently bought a Mini Trangia. I've used it a few times and so far I'm very happy with it. The larger Trangias do seem heavy, but the Mini is 330g for a burner,stand, 0.9l pot and lid/frying pan, which doesn't seem too bad for a complete system. It doesn't have the built-in wind shield of the larger models, so I've made a light-weight one out of metal foil.

I like the fact that I can save any unburnt fuel by screwing the lid onto the burner.
Yettie

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:3   

Postby maddjock » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am

Ive got the mini trangia as well - quite heavy at 100g compared to newer burners :lol: I combine it with Evernew's DX Stand and the Evernew small pasta pot. Complete kitchen set up weighs in at 370g, that includes the burner, stand, pot, extra windshield, tindercard, lighter, titanium spork, carry-sack and a pot cosy. Could get the total weight down to under 300g if I replaced the wee trangia with something like the gram weenie or Evernew's own burner, but more than happy with the trangia, and as Yettie says any unburnt fuel can be stored using the screw on lid.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby gaffr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:55 am

Never been a Trangia owner....but my daughter swears by hers..... I see that they are made now with an orifice to allow connection to a gas bottle. However I do own the two sizes of the Trangia kettle ...small to use when out alone and the larger model when out with the Frenchwoman. As with the Trangia system either kettle fits inside my old cooking pot with the beverage stuff inside the kettle. Couldn't do without my kettle!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby davidmhodgey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:41 pm

I was camping with a really nice random guy I met in the Mamores last weekend. His rucksack weighed more than my car, mostly due to the massive Trangia he was carrying.

I didn't see the point in it to be honest, seeing as I managed to cook my dinner and make tea using my rubbish little £6 stove and mess tins, in about a quarter of the time it took him.

Maybe I'm missing something?
davidmhodgey

Munros:83   Corbetts:3

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:14 pm

I hate the smell of meths!
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby retrogear » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:11 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:I hate the smell of meths!

Holding your nose while you drink it should solve the problem :wink:
retrogear

Postby fedupofuserids » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Mine's been on the go for over 20 years (only had to replace the brass simmer ring) , I've got the gas burner so have the choice of either meths or gas.

Probably is heavy compared to modern day stoves, but I've used in mine in snow and gale force winds without any problems. I certainly wont replace it until its broke.

As for speed, I know meths isn't the quickest of fuels, but I'm in no hurry !!!
fedupofuserids

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk