walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Wild camping tent...

Wild camping tent...

Postby erin_niamh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I am looking to do some wild camping this year and have been looking at tents which would be suitable. I hope to do some summit camps in winter as well as multi day treks.

I have been looking at the Banshee 200 but saw the Tempest 200 in Go Outdoors today. Tiso also have a Salewa Micra II which looks good.

Any suggestions on what would be best?
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Wild camping tent...

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:21 pm

For winter summit camps, you'll need something a hell of a lot better than anything you have mentioned- A full geodesic is what is required for that malarkey.. :shock:
Saying that, it would be heavy and overkill for summer and low level stuff. A pain in the behind to lug about for multi day treks, especially the kind which involve walking over hills.
One tent may not fit all your criteria on this one. You could get a 3 season tent for this summer, then buy a winter tent next season or ask santa nicely for next winter :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Michael Thomson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:28 pm

I'd say a geodesic dome is overkill in all but horrendous conditions. I've done my share of winter summit camps in a Terra Nova Quasar, but I haven't used it in the last 7 years and I've done fine with 3 season tents and been happier for it. The key for enjoyable summit camping for me is weight, and your shortlist so far seems prioritised on price.

When it comes to tents, there are three components to consider: Weight, weather resistance and cost.
You can have any two you like to the exception of the third. i.e if it's light and bombproof it ain't cheap. If you are tall then space can be another factor. Everyone has different priorities, so no-one can decide for you. I'm assuming that cost is a big consideration and weight less so, given your current options.

For me the short list should include (but not be limited to)

Bombproof, lightish but not cheap
Hilleberg Suolo
Tarptent Scarp

Light, good weather resistance and still pretty pricy
TN Laser Comp
Vaude Power Lizard
MSR Hubba HP
MSR Freelite

light, ok weather resistance, a bit cheaper
F10 Helium

Cheap, ok resistance but relatively heavy
Vango Banshee
WC Zephyros
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby basscadet » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:40 pm

He is right, and I am possibly a bit of a princess when it comes to tents now - I canny be bothered with flappy tents that whack you every now and then when a big gust of wind hits. Far better to carry an extra few hundred grams and be absolutely sure that no matter what weather comes, and no matter where you choose to pitch you'll be snug, comfortable and safe. if you get the rest of your kit essentials (stove, mat and sleeping bag) down to well under 2kg, then a geodesic is a very feasible carry, although I'm a bit of a pack horse and dont really notice a pack until it is above the 8 or 9 kg mark, so its maybe all about playing to personal strengths.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm a fan of the NatureHike Cloud-UP tents (a high-quality ripoff of the Terra Nova Fly Creek) especially the lighter grey versions.

Depending on size-options it's about 1.5 kg and about £80. Mind has stood up to some gale force winds, including an unwise side-on pitch.

You can find cheaper, you can find lighter, you can find stronger... but not all three.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Islands:3

Postby SpaceCaptainTheodore » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:14 pm

It isn't clear to me that the request was for a winter tent. For what it's worth, the Banshee and the Tempest are quite popular and represent good value and are appropriate for three season use. The Salewa tent is probably similar. I haven't used any of these tents but would offer the following perspectives:

Side entry makes for easy tea brewing in a porch, favouring the banshee and micro over the tempest
Tunnel tents are pretty robust and, once inside, offer decent all around space, favouring the tempest over the others
Tunnel tents can also be a bugger to pitch well on uneven ground (for me anyway, though I may just be incompetent or unlucky), favouring the banshee and micro over the tempest
Most will be perfectly able to carry any of these happily, but it's always worth getting the weight down if the cost penalty isn't too great, this favours the banshee and the micro over the tempest

Overall, that'd edge me toward the Banshee. At this end of the price range, I'd also take a wee look at the Coleman Cobra which is a very (almost suspiciously) similar tent to the Banshee but cheaper. If you're just dipping your toe in the water it might be worth a look and it's a tent I'd happily take out on most of trips I take.

Like anything, your tent is a trade off of all sorts of factors: space, weight, quality of the light shining through, room for wet kit, resilience to wind, rain and bog, ease of fitting into its bag, ease of pitching etc. So, if you can, try and get to see one in a shop; any of these will do for general use and if you know you like how it looks and feels you'll have got at least one thing right!
SpaceCaptainTheodore

Postby rockhopper » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:03 am

For what it's worth, I started wild camping about six years ago with a Banshee 200. Granted it's just under 2kg (my older version anyway) but I like it. Had planned to consider changing it but I like it so have kept it - have changed almost every other bit of kit though :roll: (Touch wood) it has coped with various summit camps, strong winds and rain/snow although I only tend to camp between early April and end September - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:08 am

It really depends on what you mean by "winter summit camps". If you mean being up on the tops in full winter conditions, which can mean VERY strong winds, you will need a tougher full geodesic tent. If you mean you'll occasionally camp high at that time of year when the forecast is pretty calm, then you'll be absolutely fine with the Banshee or similar.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby JohnJoe » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:15 pm

I found the Banshee 200 irritatingly low - i couldn't sit up in it, yet I could in the Helium 200 which has a very similar design as far as I can remember. And it was a fair bit lighter and packed up smaller. A much better tent and only marginally more expensive.
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:26 pm

JohnJoe wrote:I found the Banshee 200 irritatingly low - i couldn't sit up in it, yet I could in the Helium 200 which has a very similar design as far as I can remember. And it was a fair bit lighter and packed up smaller. A much better tent and only marginally more expensive.

The Helium looks pretty great - the specs are solid - but pricewise I can find a Banshee 200 for £90 whereas the cheapest Helium 200 I can find is over £200.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Islands:3

Postby JohnJoe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:36 pm

Marty_JG wrote:The Helium looks pretty great - the specs are solid - but pricewise I can find a Banshee 200 for £90 whereas the cheapest Helium 200 I can find is over £200.

Then the Banshee price has gone down a lot - I think I got mine about 5 years ago.

In general I think Vango is really good on the the quality-price ratio.
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Postby snafu85 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:42 am

Hi this reply myabe a bit late. Don't know if you got a tent sorted. I've owned my Banshee 200 for 2 years now. It has been through all types of weather that can be experienced in Scotland! Used mine this year in March, wild camping the Lammermuir Hills and Dunbar Beach. Survived a battering from 60mph winds, only one guy rope got pulled from the ground peg! Due to not having any sand pegs. The next test for mine, would be a lake district wild camp on the fells. But for now, I cannot fault it!
snafu85
Mountaineer

Postby bog hopper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:11 am

Used my Hilleberg Akto in all sorts of weather and has never let me down , not the lightest ( 1.6kg) or cheapest out there , but testify to its 4 season tag , and thoroughly recommend .
bog hopper
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk