walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Look What We Found - Food Pouches

Re: Look What We Found - Food Pouches

Postby walkingpoles » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:04 pm

prog99 wrote:They seem to be a bit low on calories for what you get. (250ish per portion?)

I thought the same. No need to even bother to carry food with such a low kcal/kg ratio. Adding rice, like suggested, is probably the way forward.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:37 pm

prog99 wrote:They seem to be a bit low on calories for what you get. (250ish per portion?)

I have found this to be true generally of the bought food pouches. You have to supplement them with other items when you're in the hills and expending several thousand calories a day more than at home.

When canoeing, we have the luxury of carrying fresh ingredients most of the time. However on a couple of 8 day Sweden trips, with over a dozen portages up to 4km, weight is definitely important! My mate bought a dehydrater and a vacuum pack machine, and with the luxury of time to prepare it in advance, dehydrated all the meal ingredients for 4 people for 10 days. This tasted superb, soaking the ingredients as soon as we arrived in camp an hour or two before cooking gave amazing results and we ate like kings with portions we were glad of when tired! All this food, vacuum packed, fit into one large pack. Thats 40 evening meals, 40 breakfasts, 40 lunches, etc.
With the weight saved, we could carry 20 litres of wine instead.... ;)

On a smaller scale, using your own dehydrator would work well If you were going often enough to justify it, and had the time to prep it (much longer than it would normally take to cook it!)
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby quaker268 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:02 am

Yes they are low on Calories but I supplement mine with other stuff like rice or powdered mash and a couple of strips of beef jerky.

I'm not a mountaineer or a 20 mile a day hiker, I just plod along for a few miles and pitch up my digs. Someone who is more energetic that I am would need to think about the calorie contents. I need to lose a few kilo's so they suit me..

Some great ideas coming out of this thread though regards food. Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Mark
quaker268
Bird-watcher

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 pm

They certainly sound like they're worth a try but overall I try to work on the basis that most camping food tastes pretty awful. I am rarely but occasionally disappointed!
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby quaker268 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Arthurs Eat wrote:They certainly sound like they're worth a try but overall I try to work on the basis that most camping food tastes pretty awful. I am rarely but occasionally disappointed!

I can't fault the taste of these. they really are good, you just need to supplement them if you're really hungry. or need the extra calories.
quaker268
Bird-watcher

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:57 pm

So they kick-in around half a calorie per pence. On the dehydrated front, the various Bachelor's instant stuff is about 350 calories a meal for about 70 pence; Ainsley Harriott's couscous is about 500 calories for £1 a go (each calculating to about 5 calories per pence). On the premade end of things for those without access to plenty of water, John West Creations (edible hot or cold) are around 300 calories for £1.50 (two calories per pence) .
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Check this website out...http://www.theyummylife.com/Backpacking_Food
Its all self made and gives some great ideas about what to take away.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby mmill » Tue May 23, 2017 10:13 am

We have been enjoying these when on DofE and other camping over the last few years. We have been looking to stock up for some trips ahead but can't seem to find them in any shops in the Perth/Dundee area. Has anyone seen them in any shops recently?
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby donalmc » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:17 pm

mmill wrote:We have been enjoying these when on DofE and other camping over the last few years. We have been looking to stock up for some trips ahead but can't seem to find them in any shops in the Perth/Dundee area. Has anyone seen them in any shops recently?

Got them out Asda at weekend.
donalmc
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:136
Fionas:83   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   
Islands:24

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:31 pm

mmill wrote:We have been enjoying these when on DofE and other camping over the last few years. We have been looking to stock up for some trips ahead but can't seem to find them in any shops in the Perth/Dundee area. Has anyone seen them in any shops recently?

My local Tesco and Sainsbury's seem to have stopped stocking them, but the farm shop at Tebay services still has them if you're heading up from the South (assuming it's refilled the shelf after my last visit).
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk