walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Walking shirt

Walking shirt

Postby Andy J » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Hoping that the WH hivemind can recommend me a shirt for UK backpacking use.

Want:
- Long sleeves that can be rolled up.
- Two chest pockets
- Button closures
- Reasonable wicking

Don't want:
- Unnecessary features like map pockets and arm pockets
- Clingy/slippery material (eg MH Canyon shirt)

I have an old rohan expedition shirt that is ok but frustrates me. It has a bulky map pocket that i never use, and the slightly floppy material causes the sleeves to unroll.

Thanks!
Andy J
Scrambler

Re: Walking shirt

Postby simon-b » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi Andy

The Cragghoppers NosiLife Adventure shirt is worth looking at. Although I'd shop around and look for a substantial discount on the r.r.p. of £60.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby basscadet » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:34 am

I like the paramo shirts - definately wicking - and reversible so you wear it one way to stay warm, and the other way to stay cool. Can't remember if there is one or two chest pockets, but they do a few designs to suit different tastes. I've always found chest pockets useless as everything falls out when you bend down to adjust your laces or whatnot :lol:
I got mine off ebay, there is a paramoseconds shop on there.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am

I have a wonderful shirt by "Magellan Original Clothing". It has two breast pockets, button fastening, sleeves roll up, good wicking action, warm in cold weather and all in a nice mostly green tartan. I got it from a shop in Inverness which is no longer there, and that was twenty-two years ago. It is still going strong, with the occasional need to re-stitch a button. I can't find this type of shirt anywhere now, not even on the interweb.

IMG_2191#b.jpg
Old Tartan Shirt
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby AllyT » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 am

I quite like a shirt for walking as well.

Fjallraven do a good range. I have one which I'm happy with. They cost a bit, but appear to be very long lasting.
AllyT

Munros:25   Corbetts:5

Postby basscadet » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:I have a wonderful shirt by "Magellan Original Clothing". It has two breast pockets, button fastening, sleeves roll up, good wicking action, warm in cold weather and all in a nice mostly green tartan. I got it from a shop in Inverness which is no longer there, and that was twenty-two years ago. It is still going strong, with the occasional need to re-stitch a button. I can't find this type of shirt anywhere now, not even on the interweb.

Aye, they are still going btw, although the colours have changed, and not sure if they sell in UK any more..

https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx ... 101+NV+XXL
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:39 pm

In most weather I wear baselayers as I tend to do proper walking in winter, but I have a couple of shirts for warmer days. One is an ancient Helly Hansen with poppers for buttons, that I've had since the late nineties. Superb for hot country use, but no longer suitable for being seen out in public in!!!

Craghoppers stuff is decent, though I find their fabrics a bit stiffer and slower to dry than others. I managed to pick up a dirt cheap Patagonia one once (second) which is very light indeed and very comfy, but seriously holds on to any dirt. Recently added a Columbia shirt bought at Fox's in Amersham which seems excellent but has only been used a couple of times.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Andy J » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I had been considering Fjallraven shirts but they are rather expensive, as are Patagonia. I'm probably try a Fjallraven Singi shirt, with Craghoppers as a fallback.
Andy J
Scrambler

Postby simon-b » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:40 am

Mal Grey wrote:
Craghoppers stuff is decent, though I find their fabrics a bit stiffer and slower to dry than others.

That may be true of their kit in general. But the shirt mentioned is more comfortable with good moisture management.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk