walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

socks and contact dermatitis

socks and contact dermatitis

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:24 am

(not sure about spelling of dermatitis!) anyway - both myself and partner had severe rash around lower leg/ankles from possibly the elastic in our socks? but oddly, whilst she has had it many times before I never had - it soon disappeared....could there be another reason for (a) the rash and (b) my 'sympathy' rash???

we had been walking off path in the Cairngorms at the time but Ive done that a million times before so unlikely to be pollen or whatever..

thanks
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Re: socks and contact dermatitis

Postby GillSte » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:39 am

Probably not dermatitis if it goes away quickly. It might be a sweat rash or heat rash (probably not midge bites at this time of year?). Or, if you're not wearing gaiters, could it be heather rubbing against your ankles and scratching them?

One other question, what are your socks made of? I've had similar with non-wool socks, so now I treat my tootsies to best merino wool liners. The wool is brilliant, even in hot weather, because it soaks up all the foot juice.

With boots, I use some very thin, black merino liners (Smartwool, I think) and cheap, thick, unbranded wool socks over the top. I use trainers a lot, for which you can get some surprisingly good and cheap Merino wool liner socks from the little grocery shop in Crianlarich (brown and black generic socks). I then put Dexshell waterproof socks on top.

Last thought, if you're wearing gaiters, make sure they are not too tight?
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:39 am

Could be the kind of washing powder used to clean the socks. May be the foliage you walked through. Or perhaps a touch of Black Death. Best lop 'em off anyway, just to be on the safe side...
Plague Rat Poster.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Robinho08 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:16 pm

I sometimes get a bit of a rash around my ankles after walking. I wear merino wool socks during the walk and ankle socks on the way home to let them breath more.

Can also recommend Gehwol foot cream for before and after a walk.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Martin 282 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:51 pm

This is a difficult problem which can go away or get worse. The solutions are not always easy, Whilst some swear by wool (which suits me) others find wool to be the cause & find a solution in human made fibres. Either way wash them frequently, gently, & rinse well. Calamine cream can give relief, as also washing your feet whilst eating your lunch. Best of luck.
Martin 282
Walker

Munros:266   Corbetts:49
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:150
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby willsdad » Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi,

It's just a kind of 'sweat rash' that will clear up after a few days.
A combination of salt, moisture, heat and rubbing doesn't go well on the skin.

If your on a multi day trail try to wear sandles, flip flops, gel shoes etc from the moment you stop. No socks.....rinse and dry if possible. Best to get the salt out.
You need to rinse the salt off your ankles too then allow the skin to breathe.

Hope this helps. It's nothing to worry about anyway. ....unless you do nothing and crack on :( it's gonna be SORE!
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks everyone - finally narrowed it all down to inadvertent use of bio detergent (rather than wool/silk washing or non bio stuff) on merino socks

PS is that a Black Rat in the Bubonic Plague poster? I met an elderly and very eccentric gentleman in Harris who I was chatting to and found out his rather odd pursuit i.e. to see every mammal in Europe!!! When I mentioned that I believed the Black Rat could be found on the Shiant's (sp?) he adjusted his tie, buttoned up his tweed jacket and borrowed batteries for his ancient torch - following which he pottered off; hired a trawler skipper to drop him off on the islands and spent the night there looking for the wee beasties.....picked up the next morning apparently though I never saw him again.

The world is richer for the eccentrics in the wild places.
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk