walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

What new boots...?

What new boots...?

Postby matt_outandabout » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:57 pm

My lovely, slipper comfortable Raichle Mountain Guides have died. Split right across one inner and outer sole. 9 years of hard labour as outdoor instructor and more, one re-sole...

What is similar in being light weight, 3 season, leather, re-soleable and similar in shape I should look for? I seem to be narrowish, with broader forefoot.

I also like a bargain, so less than £100 if possible. :D
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Re: What new boots...?

Postby basscadet » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Good luck with the less than £100 thing - maybe a couple of years ago, but I fear those days are gone for anything decent. I had to buy a new pair just last week - I wore clean through the sole of my old faithfuls so inevitable . Ended up with a pair of hanwags in the end which I am pleased with - feel comfy right from the box and got a discount but still pricey. If they last half as long as my previous ones, I will be looking at pennies per wear which is fine by me - can't put a price on being comfy, warm and safe :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Re-soleable is going to be your main issue I suspect. While some outfits will re-sole any boot, most are not actually designed for it and the repairs tend to fail very easily. I think Meindl do a boot that is designed to be re-soleable.

As for under 100 quid, I assume that was a joke :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Mammut Trovat Advanced High GTX is probably the nearest equivalent from the current Mammut (was Raichle) range. You might still find a good deal on old stock of the previous model (Trovat High GTX), otherwise Tiso have the new ones on sale for £148 just now.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby teaandpies » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:42 pm

jmarkb wrote:Mammut Trovat Advanced High GTX is probably the nearest equivalent from the current Mammut (was Raichle) range. You might still find a good deal on old stock of the previous model (Trovat High GTX), otherwise Tiso have the new ones on sale for £148 just now.

This was going to be my reply pretty much :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby basscadet » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:59 pm

BobMcBob wrote:Re-soleable is going to be your main issue I suspect. While some outfits will re-sole any boot, most are not actually designed for it and the repairs tend to fail very easily. I think Meindl do a boot that is designed to be re-soleable.

As for under 100 quid, I assume that was a joke :D

Thats what I liked about the hanwag ones - they are resoleable, so hopefully they will be worth the £170 in the end :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Lunco » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 pm

I also have Hanwag boots (Tatra GTX). Really comfy, only ones I could find with a wide last option. Rockplate broke in one shoe after 300ish km of Alpine hiking. The shop sent them in for repair with Hanwag and they've replaced both soles for free. Great experience.

Pretty sure the failure was my fault as well, I like stepping on sharp edges where it's rocky.
Lunco

Postby IanEzzi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:11 pm

What size are you Matt?

I have a pair of 43W Altberg Tetheras which I might be persuaded to sell as I suspect I'm closer to a 44... They are generally fine, I just bash my toes a wee bit if I don't lace them perfectly.

Otherwise I would say they are your ideal boot!
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby Robinho08 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:40 am

I just bought a pair of Berghaus Hillwalker II GTX for £83 in GoOutdoors. They are basically the old much loved Brasher Hillmaster boots.

Had to use their price match, against Uttings.co.uk to get them down to that price. Otherwise they're normally £117.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon May 01, 2017 10:28 pm

@Ianezzi - I am a 9.5 /43.... tell me more.

I spend the end of today trying on a few at Tiso's (thank you Mr_Salesman, you were mega patient...)

So far the best fit are Salewa and Mammut. The Berghaus and Scarpa seem wide in the heel.

I'm back in Perth later this week, I will take thick socks and try at end of day.

I suspect the budget is over optimistic, however I need to stick to a budget...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Postby IanEzzi » Sat May 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Matt,

Sorry for the very slow reply, was away hiking in Torridon 8)

I'm sure you've probably picked up some new boots by now, but I'd probably have to resist selling mine anyway, the domestic political/financial situation means I couldn't justify spending much more than £50 on a new set of boots, which would mean trying to raise about £120 selling the Altbergs, and I suspect they also need a re-soling given how much I've been slipping on wet ground recently (thankfully not an issue in Torridon).

Happily I have at least figured out the perfect lacing which prevents any more bashed toes.

Anyway, if you're still interested in a set of very good boots for £120 plus the cost of getting them resoled then you'd be welcome to have a look! :crazy:
IanEzzi

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:35 am

Hi Ian

I missed this too...

I actually picked up a pair of ORANGE(!) Salomon X-Alp's at Tiso's for £90, so far around house and garden they feel comfy, about to see 40 miles of DofE trip this weekend on a lot of hard paths, so a proper test of backpacking boots...

ImageSalomon X-Alp Mid by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

As ever, the difference in boot fit is amazing - Mammut, Salomon and Salewa felt like an immediate fit; Zamberlan and Scarpa felt too loose at the heel, no matter the model. I have a concern about the longevity of the Salomon's, but we shall see...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Postby cmcmurdo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:09 am

Happily I have at least figured out the perfect lacing which prevents any more bashed toes.

Picture/explanation, if you wouldn't mind. I'm bordering on slightly obsessed with lacing/(shoe)knot tying since I started running. The running has ceased, but the obsession hasn't.
cmcmurdo
Mountaineer

Sub 2000:5   
Islands:18

Postby matt_outandabout » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:02 am

matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Postby IanEzzi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:28 am

Cmcmurdo - I had two problems, if I laced the boots tight enough to prevent bashed toes (i.e. keeping my foot tight to the back of the boot) then I would develop a terrible aching pain in the soles and at the back of the heel as a consequence of the tight lacing preventing the structures in my feet moving and doing their jobs, in effect I was holding the whole foot far too rigid.

So what I needed to achieve was looser lacing across the top of the foot, but very tight lacing around the ankle, to hold the foot in place.

In truth, the usual position for lace locks on boots (i.e. at the 'crook' were the lacing turns vertical up your ankle) tend to achieve this a bit, but I added to it by simple winding the lace around itself a couple of times between lace hooks. The friction created means that if you pull the lace tight above the extra winding, it won't pull through and tighten the lace below the winding, means you can achieve different 'zones' of tightness.

Edit: Matt's link explains it perfectly. Basically take some time to experiment (or buy the right sized boots! :crazy: )
IanEzzi

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk