walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GPS Device advice

GPS Device advice

Postby Walk cycle » Sat May 06, 2017 7:14 pm

Having been happy to rely on map and compass until last year when I downloaded the Viewranger app and area appropriate 1:25,000 maps I am now considering buying an GPS and would welcome some of your insights. I am keen to increase my use of the GPS over walks but initially I would welcome it as another confirmation of my location on the hill. The Viewranger app was great but my smartphone battery took a hit and I don't think I can rely on that. The three models that I have looked at are the Garmin 64s,Etrex and the Oregon. I favour using Explorer maps too but two of the more expensive of those devices seem preloaded with Landranger 1:50,000. I assume those mobile downloads you get with OS maps are only for mobiles? Thanks - as I said the use is mainly for confirmation but i would like to get more advanced with the device over time.
Walk cycle
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

Re: GPS Device advice

Postby Gythral » Sat May 06, 2017 7:34 pm

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/562503#coverage tells you what you need to know about the Oregon (and other Garmin devices) and that they do support 1:25k
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Rudolph » Sun May 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Or take a spare USB battery pack for your phone?

Comforting to know it's there if you get into trouble too.

I had a basic Etrex but Viewranger or MXMapmobile is just so much more fun - except that it's harder to get a height reading.

?
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2

Postby Gythral » Sun May 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Rudolph wrote:Or take a spare USB battery pack for your phone?

Comforting to know it's there if you get into trouble too.

I had a basic Etrex but Viewranger or MXMapmobile is just so much more fun - except that it's harder to get a height reading.

?

Also putting the phone in aircraft mode & kill any non-essential background apps
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141

Postby Bonzo » Mon May 08, 2017 10:35 am

I've had a Garmin 62S for years but have found that my last two mobile phones have been quicker to locate my position (by a mile) and are easier to use. OK - the Garmin is more weatherproof and modern GPS handsets will be quicker but for what I use them for the mobile phone is more than adequate.

As you'll always carry a mobile phone I'd agree with the other posters and carry a spare battery pack instead.
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby abbruce » Tue May 09, 2017 2:36 pm

I've used the basic Etrex 10 for around 5 years & find it perfect for my use. I download routes from here to continually check my progress which is great when the clag comes down or for pathless areas.

I didn't care for viewranger at all, but downloaded OS Locate which gives an accurate location as well as altitude & a compass. This uses a lot less memory on your phone & works on airplane mode so has little effect on battery.

I find these two are perfect backup for map & compass.
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Walk cycle » Wed May 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks for the help. I intend to buy an Etrex and a battery back up. I have also purchased another phone on the Vodaphone network. Hope fully this will cover all bases together with map and compass, of course!
Walk cycle
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:7
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

Postby walkabit » Sun May 14, 2017 10:08 am

Had a Garmin Oregon, thought it was brilliant till I got a Satmap 12 which is better, much easier to use both on the hill and if you are loading routes to it from a laptop.
walkabit
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:3

Postby Robinho08 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:23 pm

I done the opposite, went from GPS unit to Viewranger. Would only use standalone GPS in winter conditions, where phones can be fiddly.

Put your phone in flight mode. GPS still works, but your battery will last far longer.

Also take a look at Anker external chargers or a Mophie phone battery case.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby apollo0815 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:44 pm

I have been using a Garmin Oregon for years now and thin it is much better than any phone I have seen. With rechargeable batteries mine usually lasts about 20 hours if I do not switch it off, in between. And the fixing and pinpointing is better than a phone usually, even did work on the plane on the way home, yesterday.( sitting in the middle seat)
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby Lunco » Tue May 23, 2017 1:13 am

You could get a phone powerbank and charge on the go. A 10.000 mAh powerbank will charge your phone 2 to 3 times (depending on the size of your phone's battery, of course). Certainly cheaper than a dedicated GPS device.
Lunco

Postby ChrisG » Tue May 23, 2017 6:53 am

I've just bought a Garmin Etrex35 touch not used it yet. The reason why i bought it among other things was to save my mobile battery incase of emergency. I alway carry paper maps. But since my accident I thought it a good idea to have a back up. Suppose it's a comfort blanket kind of thing, and another toy to play with.
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk