walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Multi Day Trail Rucksack

Multi Day Trail Rucksack

Postby willsdad » Wed May 10, 2017 11:07 am

Recommendations from Long Distance Trail enthusiasts please :D

Until now I've had a minor love affair with my Osprey Exos 48. I would cram, tie, wedge and strap everything in or on. I would MAKE it work.
It's now starting to show its age and burst at the seams......just like me :lol:
I was also finding it digging in at the shoulders, possibly to me overloading it.

So, I'm looking at replacing it. I was just thinking of going slightly bigger with an Exos 58 but the shoulder pinching has sent me down a 'maybe I need more shoulder padding' route.

Can you tell me what you use? 60l - 70l is the range I'm thinking.

My max price would probably be £150. I also like the odd pocket but I realise this increases weight.

Thanks.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Re: Multi Day Trail Rucksack

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Wed May 10, 2017 12:43 pm

If you like Osprey why not try one of their larger sacks? I bought an Osprey Kestrel 68 a year or so ago (to replaced a much abused almost 30 yr old Berghaus Cyclops Roc) and have found it very good. Osprey do a number of other models in the 60L plus size range.
rabthecairnterrier
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:164
Grahams:119   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:73   Hewitts:101
Wainwrights:56   Islands:40

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Exos 58 for me - I have the current version after Osprey replaced my previous version due to problems. I did like the previous version as it had two tall external pockets as well as the main pocket whereas the current one only has the one main pocket. I also preferred the belt pockets on the old one. That said, I find the shoulder padding better - I tend to keep the waist belt tight and the should straps not too tight so that weight is all on my waist which cuts down shoulder issues. When I was originally buying the Exos 58 from Cotswold, I also tried a large Kestrel (as I like the 38 for winder days) but oddly the exos seemed to be more roomy as well as lighter - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:187
Grahams:59   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby sking40 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Careful of thinking you need more room... I used to drag along everything including the kitchen sink - now I weigh and consider packed size/shape of every single item I take and long treks are much nicer as a result.

I had an ancient Karrimor that was too heavy and falling apart - tried an Exos 58 but couldn't get it to fit me. Then stumbled upon Lightwave - a 60 litre I found as a second hand bargain on ebay and a 40 litre I found reduced end of line stock at GO. Very good quality and well-designed with waterproof fabric with taped seams so no need for double-bagging anything inside or flappy covers, which also saves weight. Actually works as tested in 2 days of almost constant heavy rain on Dartmoor.

Now I used the 40 litre for winter days and single overnight camps in summer (could manage for two nights), and the 60 litre for longer multi-day treks, when you need more food and extra clothes when weather is less predictable over that time.
sking40
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   

Postby willsdad » Wed May 10, 2017 7:20 pm

sking40 wrote:Careful of thinking you need more room... I used to drag along everything including the kitchen sink - now I weigh and consider packed size/shape of every single item I take and long treks are much nicer as a result.

Yes, I have a tried and tested kit list. All as light as possible.
It all generally fits in and around my 48 but if my trip is longer, I need more food and kit. Then it struggles.
I'm thinking if I go up 10 or 15l, it'll stop me having to squeeze everything in.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby kaiserstein » Wed May 10, 2017 8:13 pm

I'm really happy with my osprey aether 60l. Used to use kestrel 38 for backpacking trips but like you a lot was strapped outside. The aether is very comfy and supportive. The lid detaches and can be used as lumber pack. Disadvantages would be a lack a mesh pocket underneath the lid like the kestrel and the side nettings are pretty narrow. Ok for bottles etc but not if you were trying to attach a tent or mat to the side to free up space inside
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:31   Corbetts:196
Grahams:26   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 10, 2017 9:22 pm

sking40 wrote:Careful of thinking you need more room... I used to drag along everything including the kitchen sink - now I weigh and consider packed size/shape of every single item I take and long treks are much nicer as a result.

Yup - know what you mean. However, I opted for the exos 58 over the 48 as the former at 1.09kg only weighs 40gr more than the latter at 1.05kg but I don't need to stuff everything in so tightly as I get an extra 10l - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:187
Grahams:59   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk