walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GARMIN vs SATMAP

GARMIN vs SATMAP

Postby mountain tortoise » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:07 pm

I have never owned a GPS I am pretty good with old fashion map and compass. I do use mapping map for printing and researching routes. I have been considering getting a GPS and wonder if anyone has experience of both of the above. What are the pros and cons of each.
Mountain Tortoise
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Re: GARMIN vs SATMAP

Postby Myth » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm in a similar position - but have more or less decided to go for a Garmin after seeing then talked up on this board, and used to training by a number of providers...

Just got to get the family on board.

Paul has arranged an offer via this site - a useful saving over Amazons usual price I noticed!
Myth

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:33 am

Myth wrote:Paul has arranged an offer via this site - a useful saving over Amazons usual price I noticed!

Amazon's pricing on here vs their own site is a total mystery to me :wink:

I had a Satmap for a trial last year (to try out whether our routes worked on it). Obviously the advantage of these is that they show your position on an OS map - so less need to load routes in etc. The disadvantage is that you have the buy the OS maps specially for the Satmap (irrespective of what mapping you have on your PC) and they are very expensive. I also found that the electronic compass (which is supposed to orient the display to the way you are facing) wasn't as effective as I would have hoped and the unit took a while to turn on and off (I started turning it off to make the batteries last longer). They are pretty rugged little things though; I suppose really I didn't find that having an OS map on the display was that much of an advantage for me.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain tortoise » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks for that Paul I think I shall think about it a little alonger. Probably need to decide why I want one of these gadgets.
Mountain Tortoise
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Think more ~ you don't need it! Amazing how the manufacturers persuade us that we need all these high-tech gizmos, when all you really need is time off work and decent weather. And a map and compass. And maybe some chocolate. Come to think of it the map and compass could be left behind to add that frisson of discovery...
sesm2-1[1].JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mountain tortoise » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Yes I think you could be right. I love maps and have enjoyed using the memory map software. But have never needed a GPS up to now was just dabbling with the idea. I like maps and compasses. Lookng at them makes you see more around you. By the way love the geology map.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Postby Rekrab » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 pm

i've had a garmin for about three years now and i love it

Mackenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby Gorf01 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Hallo

I'm a Garmin 60CSx fan, had it for about four years, used it in the hill, on the boat and in an aircraft (really good to see where you are and the speed). The mapping function is useful, there is a free one that I've found that is better than the Garmin offering and I've just started using QUO after reading about it here. When QUO finally publish a "proper" manual is should make it a lot easier to use.

The Satmap looks good, but I want a big bit of paper and a compas out on the hill with me.
Gorf01
Stravaiging

Munros:2   Corbetts:5
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:27

Postby foggieclimber » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:01 pm

How about something like a Nokia 5800 phone along with Viewranger maps?

One lightweight device provides you with Phone, GPS, Camera and MP3 player.
foggieclimber

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:02 pm

foggieclimber wrote:How about something like a Nokia 5800 phone along with Viewranger maps?

One lightweight device provides you with Phone, GPS, Camera and MP3 player.

Nokia N96 and ViewRanger with OS maps works a treat for me :)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby agentmancuso » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:01 pm

I've used a Garmin etrex Vista Cx for 3 years, and love it. You can get free mapping for it containing SMC contour data from http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

You don't need a GPSr of course. But it's not only a very useful tool with excellent safety potential, but a great deal of fun too, so well worth having.
agentmancuso
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:33
Fionas:50   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:153   Hewitts:42
Wainwrights:20   Islands:5

Postby PhilTurner » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:29 am

Another vote for the Viewranger and Nokia 5800 package. Available as a complete set from Viewranger, or you can pick up a brand new Nokia 5800 from eBay for quite a bit less. The BuddyBeacon function is also pretty useful - gives you a 'tracking' option (if you want people to know where you are that is....)

I've protected my 5800 with an Otterbox case, then an aLOKSAK waterproof bag. You can operate the touchscreen through this. No complaints so far, and cheaper than most of the other options, especially if you only buy regional mapping.
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby munrowalker » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:52 pm

mountain tortoise wrote:I have never owned a GPS I am pretty good with old fashion map and compass. I do use mapping map for printing and researching routes. I have been considering getting a GPS and wonder if anyone has experience of both of the above. What are the pros and cons of each.
Mountain Tortoise

Satmap, end of. Search through the board, and we've had this discussion a fair few times.

But a lot of it comes down to personal choice. Some prefer map & compass. Some a Garmin, some Satmap.

Me I use Satmap. I've used it extensively last year, and saves me so much faff time on the hill. It tells me exactly where I am at on a hill, and then if I want to plan where I'm going do that as well. Me and my mate Jimmy work between that and a map & compass, he'll surge on ahead with the map & compass and if I think we're heading wrong we'll double check the coordinates and he'll adjust.

The amount of times in mist and fog, we've had people tag along who've been on map/compass who really felt uncomfortable as yes they knew roughly where they were at, but didn't want to push on. Whereas us, we knew pretty much exactly, and were always confident to push on. That for me, sums up the satmaps worthiness.

Well that and its a super cool gadget!
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby sloosh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 pm

munrowalker wrote:Satmap, end of.

The amount of times in mist and fog, we've had people tag along who've been on map/compass who really felt uncomfortable as yes they knew roughly where they were at, but didn't want to push on. Whereas us, we knew pretty much exactly, and were always confident to push on. That for me, sums up the satmaps worthiness.

Same with me. (I'm another Satmap cheerleader.)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby d4evr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 pm

SATMAP for me too, cracking bit of kit!!
d4evr

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk