walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

65L Rucksack Dofe

65L Rucksack Dofe

Postby CelticSmurf » Sun May 21, 2017 12:00 pm

14yr old son is doing his Bronze Dofe. Looking at list of recommended rucksacks and I cant help but wonder can he not just use our old Low Alpine backpacker II 65L, apart from the green and purple colour, it fits him nicely as he is nearly 6ft and built like a farmer. Would I be making it more difficult/uncomfortable for him?
Tent I can justify as newer 2 berths are lighter than our older ones and hydrostatic head is a lot higher, that being said I have never been wet using tents we have.
CelticSmurf
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: 65L Rucksack Dofe

Postby mmill » Sun May 21, 2017 3:45 pm

We have 3 children that have all been through bronze to gold DofE, they were able to choose whether to use their own kit or that supplied by organising centre. Ours often chose their own tents or bags. But different centres run it in different ways.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby mrssanta » Sun May 21, 2017 8:49 pm

I think your Lowe Alpine would be ideal as long as it fits him. 65l is about right for DofE. We run Bronze in our local school and lend equipment but the school equipment tends to be fairly heavy as it has to be robust, anything to lighten his load!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Mal Grey » Sun May 21, 2017 8:52 pm

Of course it will be suitable for him, you've already answered the "does it fit him" question, so it'll be fine I'm sure.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby matt_outandabout » Sun May 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Your existing rucksack will be just fine.

We have two Lowe Alpines that sons use, recently for DofE.

Having seen hundreds, possibly over a thousand, of kids through DofE expeditions, I've seen so many people spend hundreds of pounds on gear, that gets used once, or is cheap new stuff that's uncomfortable.

Out two Lowe Alpines (and other gear) is second hand to us (£25 each), and this year they are on five DofE trips as we lend them out... Borrow gear, or buy second hand from here, outdoorgearexchange and EBay.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby davekeiller » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:07 pm

I don't think the recommended kit list is intended to be prescriptive.
Lots of people doing D of E will be people who haven't done any walking before, and therefore won't have much in the way of kit. The recommended kit list is a way of outdoor retailers steering people towards budget to mid-range kit that will be fit for purpose without breaking the bank.
If you've already got a perfectly serviceable 65L rucksack, then that will be fine and there's no need to buy new if you don't want to. Same goes for tents, stoves sleeping bags etc.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk